Windows 10: Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows How to Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows

How to Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

restore point) without losing personal data files.

System Restore is enabled by default in Windows. If disabled, create a restore point through System Protection is also disabled.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable System Restore for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable System Restore.

*note If you disable System Restore, any created restore points will not be automatically deleted in the process.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable System Restore using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable System Restore using a REG file

EXAMPLE: System Restore disabled

Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable System Restore using Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor will only be available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor will only be available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor will only be available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\System Restore

3. In the right pane of System Restore in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off System Restore policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable System Restore
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable System Restore
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable System Restore using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

DisableSR DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable System Restore
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_System_Restore.reg

Download

3. To Disable System Restore
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_System_Restore.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 3, 2017
  2. Argel Obm Win User

System Restore error

The "mstdc.log" file is a transaction log file of Windows operating systems. Since it is a log file, it should not affect the performance of your system. Also, the error that you're getting with that log file is not connected to the System Restore error
    code you're seeing in the Event Viewer. If you want to make sure that System Restore is functioning properly, you can also disable and re-enable it. Please take note that by disabling System Restore, you lose your restore points. To disable and re-enable System
    Restore, follow these steps:

• Access System Restore by searching using Cortana.
    • Click Configure.
    • Choose Disable system protection.
    • Click Apply, and the press OK.
    • Click Configure again.
    • Choose Turn on system protection.
    • Click Apply, and the press OK.
    • Click OK.

If you do not encounter any issues while doing the steps above, it means that System Restore is working properly.

Let us know how it goes.

Argel Obm, Oct 26, 2019
  3. How do I disable system restore?

I hear dif you have a virus.... after you clean your machine.... 100% cleaned then you disable your system restore and turn it on back something like that.

how do I disable system restore?

HiddenStupid, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows

Windows XP PRO error after restore

System restore is handy when it works like it did for me 2 days ago saving the need to reinstall all of my software as well as windows, id suggest using norton Ghost 12 for an excellent system restore feature.

jocksteeluk, Oct 26, 2019
  5. How do I disable system restore?

oh ok got it.

so..... what exactly is system restore? is it that thing where you reformat?

when do i turn it on back?

1- virus
    2- cleaned system
    3- disable system restore
    4- uhh now what?
    5- do i turn it on right away after disable it or wait few min or day?

HiddenStupid, Oct 26, 2019
  6. jellyroll Win User
    How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CEnable or Disable System Restore in Windows :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CEnable or Disable System Restore in Windows :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows

1. Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable System

2. System Restore Point- Enabling System Protection.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Point- Enabling System Protection.: Hi, when I went to make a system restore point, with protection enabled, it showed a warning message exclamation mark inside a yellow triangle. The message said 'Using system protection on a drive that contains system image backups will cause other shadow copies to be deleted...
  3. System restore disabled 2004

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  4. System restore disabled 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  5. System Restore is suddenly disabled - how do I enable it?

System Restore is suddenly disabled - how do I enable it?: Fairly new PC, Win10 Pro 64-bit all updates. System restore was working fine last week, as I created a manual restore point before installing a major piece of software. I just went to do the same thing again, but found that all the controls on the System Protection tab of...
  6. System Restore button disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore button disabled: I have a brand new computer with Windows 10 Home version on it, and I am trying to change the System Restore settings. However, the System Restore button is disable. What can I do to re-enable this?...
  7. Disable System Restore

Disable System Restore: Hi, I need to do the following tasks in the System Restore: 1. Set Max Usage = 0 2. Delete all restore points 3. Disable System Restore Should be using Command Line. 1st and 2nd step I've no any idea how to do. For 3rd step: net stop srservice sc config...
  8. Can't enable System Restore

Can't enable System Restore: Noticed my System Protection was not enabled. Can't click on the "Turn on......" Does nothing when I try to "Turn on...." Attached a pic. 20397
  9. System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled

System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled: Hi Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone with my particular problem. I'm not saying they're not there, just that I've not found them yet. As you can see from the...
  10. System Restore disabled and cannot enable it

System Restore disabled and cannot enable it: Hi Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone with my particular problem. I'm not saying they're not there, just that I've not found them yet. As you can see from the...