Windows 10: Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives (SSD) in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Maggidon, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Maggidon Win User

Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives (SSD) in Windows 10

The TRIM command is essential to maintain the performance of solid state drives (SSDs) at an optimal level over the lifetime of the drive. TRIM functions by actively deleting invalid data from the SSDs memory cells to ensure that write operations perform at full speed. Since a memory block must be erased before it can be re-programmed, TRIM improves performance by pro-actively erasing pages containing invalid data, allowing the SSD to write new data without first having to perform a time-consuming erase command.

EXAMPLE:
    1. SSD pages contain no data.
    2. User writes data to SSD pages.
    3. User deletes some data. Pages are marked as "not in use" by the OS, but data remains on SSD.
    4. TRIM command tells SSD controller that pages contain invalid data. Pages with invalid data are cleaned.
    5. Data is written back to SSD memory cells. The invalid data had been cleaned and data is able to be written to the pages at full speed.
    TRIM support for SSDs is enabled by default, and is recommended to always keep TRIM support enabled. If disabled, you risk the SSD getting defragged instead of optimized (TRIM).

See also: The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? | SCOTT HANSELMAN

This tutorial will show you how to check the current status of TRIM support for SSDs, and to enable or disable TRIM support for ReFS file systems for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to verify, enable, or disable TRIM support.

TRIM Support Requirements:
    • Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
    • BIOS/UEFI storage controller set to AHCI/SATA mode

Here's How:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Do step 3 (status), step 4 (NTFS), and/or step 5 (ReFS) below for what you want to do.

3. To Check Current Status of TRIM Support for SDDs with NTFS and ReFS File System
    A) Copy and paste the command below in the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshots below)

*Arrow fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

[table][tr][td]TRIM Support Results[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)[/td] [td]TRIM support enabled for SSDs with NTFS[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Enabled)[/td] [td]TRIM support disabled for SSDs with NTFS[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]NTFS DisableDeleteNotify is not currently set[/td] [td]TRIM support for SSDs with NTFS is not currently set, but will automatically be enabled if a SSD with NTFS is connected.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)[/td] [td]TRIM support enabled for SSDs with ReFS[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Enabled)[/td] [td]TRIM support disabled for SSDs with ReFS[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]ReFS DisableDeleteNotify is not currently set[/td] [td]TRIM support for SSDs with ReFS is not currently set, but will automatically be enabled if a SSD with ReFS is connected.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. To Enable or Disable TRIM Support for SDDs with NTFS File System
    A) Copy and paste the command you want to use below in the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

(Enable TRIM support for SSDs with NTFS)
    *Arrow fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify NTFS 0

OR

(Disable TRIM support for SSDs with NTFS)
    *Arrow fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify NTFS 1

5. To Enable or Disable TRIM Support for SDDs with ReFS File System
    A) Copy and paste the command you want to use below in the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

(Enable TRIM support for SSDs with ReFS )
    *Arrow fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify ReFS 0

OR

(Disable TRIM support for SSDs with ReFS )
    *Arrow fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify ReFS 1

6. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Maggidon, Jan 2, 2017

2. Does enabling TRIM harmful for a Windows 7 pc upgraded with windows 10 and an ssd?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

TRIM is a command used to prevent the slowdown of SSDs over time, due to the writing, erasing and rewriting of data. Enabling TRIM allows your SSD to find and erase the sections of a drive before you actually need them, speeding up the process.

The SSD TRIM command is an essential feature which is required to manage your Solid State Device memory. Often it happens that a lot of memory remain unused for a prolonged time. It is very important to remove those block of data in order to provide
    space for meaningful storage. A block of memory is to be re-programmed and hence TRIM leverages its functioning speed by getting rid of all unused data. There is some minimum system requirements in order to check if your computer supports SSD TRIM. Your computer
    must run Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or the latest Windows 10. It must have a SSD with TRIM enabled firmware and a BIOS/UEFI storage controller set to AHCI/SATA mode.

Article for reference.

Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives:

2009 – Engineering Windows 7

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Jan 2, 2017
  3. My system disk is 100% fragged and wont defrag

Hi Jawnny,

Optimization option is a great way to help your PC stay at the top speeds, however it is only applicable to traditional rotating platters hard drive (Hard Disk Drive). Before we proceed to any troubleshooting steps, we would like to
    confirm if you have a Hard Disk Drive or a Solid-State drive (SSD).

If you have a Hard Disk Drive, you can follow these steps to start optimizing it:

1. Type Defragment and Optimize Drives in
    Cortana Search.

2. Press Enter.

3. Select the hard drive you want to optimize.

4. Click Optimize.

Take note that the optimization may take some time depending on the number of files, drive size and fragmentation.

If you have a Solid-State Drive, it is automatically being optimized by the TRIM feature. To check if TRIM is enabled, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows logo key +
    X.

2. Select Command Prompt (Admin).

3. Type fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify.

4. Press Enter.

If the command result is zero (0), TRIM is enabled. TRIM is disabled if the result is
    one (1). If you have to enable TRIM feature, follow the steps below:

1. Press the Windows logo key +
    X.

2. Select Command Prompt (Admin).

3. Type fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify 0.

4. Press Enter.

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have other questions.

Kristine Arp, Jan 2, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Maggidon, *Smile

The first results indicated that you had TRIM support enabled for SSDs formatted with only NTFS, but didn't have it set for ReFS yet.

The last results indicate that you have TRIM support enabled for SSDs formated with both NTFS and ReFS.

Brink, Jan 2, 2017
  5. Maggidon Win User
    Is it ok to have both enabled with Diskeeper 16? I'm understanding one cannot format the SSD with ReFS enabled though I'm not thinking of doing that. I guess my question is, is it ok. It hasn't been enabled up to this point.

Maggidon, Jan 2, 2017
  6. Maggidon Win User
    I used this command to enable ReFS ... fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify ReFS 0

I won't disable it since you say it's ok but if I wanted to disable it, would I just type in "fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify ReFS 1

Maggidon, Jan 2, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That would be the correct command to disable TRIM for ReFS. *Smile

Brink, Jan 2, 2017
  8. Maggidon Win User

Well I'm glad you were on here Brink. I just about went over the edge after enabling it thinking maybe I shouldn't have. I wasn't sure if I should enable that or TRIM with Diskeeper 16 but I did anyway. But now that you're saying it's ok, I'll just leave both enabled and carry on. Thank you for your help.

Maggidon, Jan 2, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Jan 2, 2017
  10. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Sahwan what about dual boots drives

ICIT2LOL, May 12, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It wouldn't matter since this apples for all SSD drives.

Brink, May 12, 2017
  12. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Okmate I thought that wuod be the case just making sure.

ICIT2LOL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable TRIM

2. about TRIM enable or disable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    about TRIM enable or disable: Hy Ihave in my laptop an SSD drive,so Iknow the TRIM have to be enabled,so icheck inCMD ADMIN and type: C:\Windows\System32> fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotiey then click enter.after enter show NTFS DisableDeleteNotify =0 DisableRsFS DisableDeleteNotifi =0 DisableIs...
  3. Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solid State Drive: If I make 2 partitions on an SSD and write a lot to one of them, can that one partition fail and the other not? Does it work that way? submitted by /u/FluffyAlcatel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ubw7mp/solid_state_drive/
  4. Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drives: This is my first time without an HDD. I now have SSD. Does data on an SSD ever fragment? Am I now done with defraging my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drives/b803253f-0d3a-43af-8484-1d460d1686d5
  5. Install windows 10 to a Solid State Drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install windows 10 to a Solid State Drive?: Is it possible to do a [clean] install of Windows 10 to a SSD that is attached via USB 3.0? I have a SeaGate OneTouch 500 GB external drive. I looked on Seagate.com but couldnt track down the exact file to download for Windows 10 installation drivers... Any help? Thx,...
  6. solid state and hard drives

solid state and hard drives: I have a HP Laptop 17-by3065st,os is windows 10. I have both a ssd and hdd my ssd is low on free space my hdd 1TB has plenty. is there a way to have the HDD drive D: be the primary and keep the SSD drive C: just for windows os? Thanx in advance Jim...
  7. Windows and Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows and Solid State Drives: I'm considering getting a new computer with a SSD Wil I have any difficulty installing Windows 10 on the SSD? James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-and-solid-state-drives/99be41ad-0667-49d3-9dae-c8a52ef82fb8
  8. "Trimming" a solid-state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Trimming" a solid-state drive: Every time I open the defrag app I read, "Never run" and "Needs optimizing." I run the optimizer and it reports "trimmed." But after a few days, it again says "Never run," etc. This is happening consistently. Any idea why--and whether it is cause for concern? Is the fact that...
  9. solid state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    solid state drive: After replacing my HD and installing win 10. I cant see my SSD. Had win 8 before changing HD. Where do I look? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drive/66ded83f-fb6f-4b1e-bcbb-a479c75e754d
  10. defragging solid state drive

defragging solid state drive: is it true that the life of your solid state drive will be shortened by using windows built-in defragging tool? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragging-solid-state-drive/49f4347c-3a15-4d5a-a7de-233c6e53349c