Windows 10: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 [img] Information by default,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Geoff Daniell, May 29, 2016.

1. Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information by default, the maximum path length limit in Windows is 260 characters. A local path is structured in the following order: drive letter, colon, backslash, name components separated by backslashes, and a terminating null character.

Starting with Windows 10 build 14352, you can enable NTFS long paths to allow manifested win32 applications and Windows Store applications to access paths beyond the normal 260 characters limit per node. Enabling this setting will cause the long paths to be accessible within the process.

Starting with Windows build 1607, this policy has moved and is now called Win32 long paths.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Win32 long paths to have paths longer than 260 characters for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable Win32 long paths.

Note Enabling NTFS (Win32) long paths will allow manifested win32 applications and Windows Store applications to access paths beyond the normal 260 character limit per node on file systems that support it. Enabling this setting will cause the long paths to be accessible within the process.

This actually means that an application has to have the following line in its manifest:

Code:
    A manifest is a small file that contains additional information about the process EXE such as compatibility information and DPI-awareness etc.

Besides the app developer adding the manifest, this Group Policy setting should be enabled for NTFS long paths.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths using Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths using a reg file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths using Group Policy

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of local group policy editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Filesystem

3. In the right pane of Filesystem in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Enable Win32 long paths policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Win32 Long Paths
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Win32 Long Paths
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

note: Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, you can close the local group policy editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths using a reg file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the dword value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

LongPathsEnabled dword

(delete) = disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Win32 Long Paths
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Win32 _long_paths.reg

Download

3. To Disable Win32 Long Paths
    Note: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Win32 _long_paths.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

that's it,
    shawn

:)

Geoff Daniell, May 29, 2016

2. GPO: enable win32 long paths

Hi,

On the issues related to the Group policy, we have a dedicated forum called TechNet forum, where you can get the best resolution for this issue. I would suggest you to post your query on the TechNet forum below;

Technet forums - Group Policy

Let us know if you need any assistance on Windows, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, May 29, 2016
  3. Win User
    GPO: enable win32 long paths

Per your message, I've also asked TechNet, but this is a local policy, not one I'm picking up from AD.

4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10

Hello Geoff, *Smile

It won't hurt anything to try on an older build, but it'll most likely just not have any affect since the policy wasn't added until build 14352.

Brink, May 29, 2016
  5. ErdnussFlipS, Nov 18, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you @ErdnussFlipS. The tutorial has now been updated. *Smile

Brink, Nov 18, 2016
  7. Rodriguez Win User
    Hello there,

I receive the following error when attempting to copy and paste a 25 GB large folder with many sub-folders and files:
    "Source Path Too Long. The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system. Try moving to a location which has a shorter path name, or try renaming to shorter name(s) before attempting this operation."
    I'm given an option to cancel the operation and nothing else. I'm a little bit surprised to see this message as both the source and destination drives are set to NTFS file system, I'm running a Windows 10 Pro build ver 1607 build 14393.447 (which has long file path names turned on by default as said online), as well as I've done 'enable ntfs long path filenames' by accessing win + r > gpedit.msc > computer configuration > administrative templates > system > filesystem > enable win32 long paths (as 'enable ntfs long paths' has been renamed since some build). I've restarted my computer but am still facing the same old error message. I can't afford scanning a path and changing filename's of nearly few hundred files and folders in best case scenario. Would you have any solution for me ?

Thanks

Dan

Rodriguez, Nov 22, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Windows explorer and a load of other applications which use the explorer interface for selecting files still DO NOT support long file names / paths + folders + files names still have to be < around 260 chars -- can't remember the exact number but it's about that.

I'm sure I've posted on this a few times -

I've a load of Music files which have descriptive path + folder names and then of course track names .

Windows truncates to some sort of meaningless drivel.

Maybe totally new apps not dependant on windows explorer for file browsing might work bit things like VLC / Plex / Movie player etc etc still use Windows explorer / file explorer for browsing / searching files.

Until File explorer is fixed to handle long file names I think you'll just have to forget the option even exists as 99.999% of stuff out there still works with the fille / path length limitation whatever settings are used.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 22, 2016
  9. Rodriguez Win User
    That sucks hard :/. I'll wait for other opinions but I see future in dark colors lol. Can't imagine that they still didn't work out that issue since Windows XP or Vista. The best part is the 'Pro' attached to a Windows 10 version. How can I treat it like a professional operating system if I'm being stuck on silly errors like this which stop me from doing my job well...

Rodriguez, Nov 22, 2016
  10. madmax2 Win User
    Even with this setting enabled,
    explorer will not let me move a long filename file + long folder name path greater than 260 chars?

So what is the point of enabling this setting?

What is the alternative software to Explorer that I can use to manage my files then?

madmax2, Dec 18, 2016
  11. Kerpert Win User
    Hi, I have Win 10 Pro version 1607 build 14393.576 with Win32 Long Paths enable.

There is "C:\Users\.........\Downloads\music folder" with very long subfolders and files some with more then 260 characters path, but no error to read.
    When I copy music folder in "Z:\music folder" on an external NTFS drive it says error path too long.

Why?

Kerpert, Dec 24, 2016
  12. madmax2 Win User
    Yeah, the majority of people that seems to have this issue is related to their music collection which would have long path + long filenames..

We need an alternative to explorer to copy/move those files.

madmax2, May 19, 2017
  13. madmax2 Win User

Read through the entire posts..
    You will find the reason why.

madmax2, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Win32

2. Windows 11 LongPathsEnabled and Enable Win32 long paths not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 LongPathsEnabled and Enable Win32 long paths not working.: I can see this has been reported many times but I can't seem to find any resolution to the issue.I have set the LongPathEnabled to 1 in the Registry Editor and updated Enable Win32 long paths to Enabled in Local Group Policy Editor, and I am still not able to use a file path...
  3. Windows 11 LongPathsEnabled and Enable Win32 long paths not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 LongPathsEnabled and Enable Win32 long paths not working.: I can see this has been reported many times but I can't seem to find any resolution to the issue.I have set the LongPathEnabled to 1 in the Registry Editor and updated Enable Win32 long paths to Enabled in Local Group Policy Editor, and I am still not able to use a file path...
  4. enable win32 long paths but not work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    enable win32 long paths but not work: Dear support TeamI have changed the following two settings in order to be able to open long-path files with more than 260 characters in file explorer, but I still can’t open long-path files even after restarting the computer after the changes. Please help me find out why. 1....
  5. enable win32 long paths but not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    enable win32 long paths but not work: Dear support TeamI have changed the following two settings in order to be able to open long-path files with more than 260 characters in file explorer, but I still can’t open long-path files even after restarting the computer after the changes. Please help me find out why. 1....
  6. enable win32 long paths but not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can I use Azure AD to push Enable Win32 long paths?

Can I use Azure AD to push Enable Win32 long paths?: Hi I am working with a set of long folders for a client and each new machine we setup requires long paths to be enabled or other work arounds due to the file structure on this network. As they have Azure AD are we able to use this to push out a policy to all machines to allow...
  8. Long Path Enabled

Long Path Enabled: Hi Team, We have been trying to increase the long path value as per the documents from Microsoft. We can create maximum of 20 sub folders beyond that we cannot go. So could you please help me in getting this sorted out. thanks. Sriram Krishnamoorthy...
  9. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...
  10. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

in Windows 10 Customization
    Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...