Windows 10: Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Sleep on Windows 10 PC

Discus and support Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Sleep on Windows 10 PC in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Sleep on Windows 10 PC How to Enable or Disable Windows To Go Workspace using Sleep on Windows 10 PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Sleep on Windows 10 PC

How to: Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Sleep on Windows 10 PC

How to Enable or Disable Windows To Go Workspace using Sleep on Windows 10 PC

editions that enables the creation of a Windows To Go workspace that can be booted from a USB-connected external drive on PCs (hosts). The portable Windows To Go workspace will run using the hardware and resources of the host PC.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable allowing the Windows To Go workspace USB flash drive on your Windows 10 PC.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable allowing sleep when starting from a Windows To Go workspace.

Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Sleep on Windows 10 PC [​IMG]
    Warning Windows To Go is no longer being developed.

The feature does not support feature updates and therefore does not enable you to stay current. It also requires a specific type of USB that is no longer supported by many OEMs.

*Arrow Features being removed or deprecated in Windows 10 version 1903

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Sleep when Starting from a Windows to Go workspace in Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Sleep when Starting from a Windows to Go workspace using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Sleep when Starting from a Windows to Go workspace in Group Policy

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Portable Operating System

3. In the right pane of Portable Operating System in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Disallow standby sleep states (S1-S4) when starting from a Windows To Go workspace policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Sleep when Starting from a Windows to Go workspace
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Sleep when Starting from a Windows to Go workspace
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Sleep when Starting from a Windows to Go workspace using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Policies\Microsoft\PortableOperatingSystem

Sleep DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Sleep when Starting from a Windows to Go workspace
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Windows_To_Go_sleep_on_PC.reg

Download

3. To Disable Sleep when Starting from a Windows to Go workspace
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Windows_To_Go_sleep_on_PC.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 20, 2016
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. xkm1948 Win User
    PSA Windows 10 + Adaptive Voltage/Offset voltage and you

I have speed step and all the other power saving option enabled.

So now after setting the system power profile, disable fast boot in uefi, disable hybrid sleep in windows 10 my system has been BSOD free.

xkm1948, Oct 26, 2019
  4. rtwjunkie Win User

Windows 10 PC, issues with sleep and slow boots

@Mussels Welcome to the most widespread, yet elusive to pin down problem plaguing W10 even with SSD's! (meaning it's not your HDD)

You can googlebing to your heart's content and try every wild-assed fix out there, but you'll only make a dent in your frustration level.

What has MOSTLY helped me is turning off hibernation by turning off all sleep and power saving options in Windows, and turning off fast boot by deleting hiberfil through the CMD line (as an admin).

Now it only hangs on boot or restart 1 out of 5 times. LOL, and I call that progress. I have two steps to take that look like they might be promising.

I'm going to disable all power saving features in BIOS, and try a new BIOS which was released after W10.

No one, including M$ has figured it out yet. Some of the speculative fixes you'll find come from their own forums where so-called Windows experts seem to be the most clueless of everyone.

Anyway, I listed what has helped me somewhat after 4 weeks.

rtwjunkie, Oct 26, 2019
  5. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Oct 26, 2019
  6. ahujet Win User
    Disabling iGPU in windows 10

Ah, had that multi display option disabled. Currently installing clean windows maybe that was the problem. What version of windows 10 are you on btw?

ahujet, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Sleep on Windows 10 PC - Similar Threads - Enable Disable using

2. PC not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not going to sleep: Have a problem of pc not going to sleep, even tho display gets turned off.Through "powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics" I'm seeing "The system idle time was reset because: An application requires system execution." which is being reported every minute at the time I'm afk. Looked...
  3. PC not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not going to sleep: Have a problem of pc not going to sleep, even tho display gets turned off.Through "powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics" I'm seeing "The system idle time was reset because: An application requires system execution." which is being reported every minute at the time I'm afk. Looked...
  4. Pc not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc not going to sleep: I’ve had my pc for almost 2 years and have never had a problem until recently. And that is that it’s just not going into sleep mode. Every once in a while, it will go to sleep. But 99% off the time the screen will turn off, but the pc itself will stay active. I’ve tried most...
  5. How to Enable or Disable Sleeping Tabs in Edge browser in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Sleeping Tabs in Edge browser in Windows 10: [ATTACH]This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Sleeping Tabs in the […] This article How to Enable or Disable Sleeping Tabs in Edge browser in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. PC is not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC is not going to sleep: My computer is waking up on its own. I tried to fix it but failed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-is-not-going-to-sleep/57a3cf27-eb2b-4880-a222-c5c341c6c877
  7. PC going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC going to sleep: I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop running W10. All of the power settings are set to not sleep (or display to go dark) when the machine is plugged into power. Despite this the laptop always sleeps after about 5 minutes of non use. How can I fix this? Thanks....
  8. Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC: How to: Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC Secure Boot is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry to help make sure that your PC boots using only software that is trusted by the PC...
  9. Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC: How to: Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC How to Enable or Disable Windows To Go Workspace using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC editions that enables the creation of a Windows To Go workspace that can be booted from a USB-connected external...
  10. Enable or Disable Projecting to this PC in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Projecting to this PC in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Projecting to this PC in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Projecting to this PC in Windows 10 The Projecting to this PC feature uses the Connect app to allow you to wirelessly project your Windows Phone, another PC, or Android devices to the...