Windows 10: Enable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10 Starting with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10

How to: Enable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update build 15063, Windows Sonic: Microsofts next-gen spatial audio platform provides a powerful, immersive sound experience with support for Dolby Atmos.

Windows Sonic is Microsofts audio platform for more immersive audio. It includes integrated spatial sound on Xbox and Windows, with support for both surround and elevation (above or below the listener) audio cues. Spatial sound can be leveraged by Windows desktop (Win32) apps as well as Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps on both Windows and Xbox One. The spatial sound APIs allows developers to create audio objects that emit audio from positions in 3D space. Dynamic audio objects allow you to emit audio from an arbitrary position in space, which can change over time. You can also specify that audio objects emit sound from one of 17 pre-defined static channels (8.1.4.4) that can represent real or virtualized speakers. The actual output format is selected by the user, and can be abstracted from Windows Sonic implementations; audio will be presented to speakers, headphones, and home theater receivers without needing any code or content changes. For V1., the platform fully supports real-time Dolby Atmos encoding for both HDMI and stereo headphone output, as well as Windows Sonic for Headphones encoding for stereo headphones. Finally, Windows Sonic apps abide by system mixing policy, and their audio can also be mixed with non-spatially aware apps. Windows Sonic support is also integrated into Media Foundation; apps that use media foundation can successfully play Dolby Atmos content with no additional implementation.

Spatial sound with Windows Sonic supports TVs, home theaters, and sound bars that support Dolby Atmos. Spatial sound can also be used with any pair of headphones via Windows Sonic for Headphones or Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17704, Microsoft added DTS:X to the list of spatial audio technologies you can use.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable spatial sound for headphones in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable Spatial Sound using Windows Sonic for Headphones
    • Option Two: To Enable Spatial Sound using Dolby Atmos for Headphones
    • Option Three: To Disable Spatial Sound (Default)

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable Spatial Sound using Windows Sonic for Headphones

*note Starting with Windows 10 build 16226, Windows Sonic is now even easier to enable. Plug in a pair of headphones, right-click the sound icon in the notification area, and select Spatial sound to choose your preferred format. You can also configure your 5.1, 7.1, or Dolby Atmos for home theater from this menu if its your currently selected default endpoint.

1. Right click or press and hold on the notification area, and click/tap on either Spatial sound or Playback devices. (see screenshots below)

Enable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Double click/tap on a playback device (ex: "connected headphones") you want to enable spatial sound for. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Spatial sound tab, and select the Windows Sonic for Headphones format in the drop down. (see screenshot below)

4. Check or uncheck the Turn on 7.1 virtual surround sound box for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable Spatial Sound using Dolby Atmos for Headphones

*note Dolby Atmos for Headphones enables your Windows 10 PC to deliver a premium, immersive headphone experience if your headphones support Dolby Atmos.

This option will involve installing the free Dolby Access app from the Windows Store.

You will also be required to install the Dolby Atmos for Headphones add-on for the Dolby Access app.
    • The Dolby Atmos for Headphones add-on is not free, but this option will involve installing a 30 day free trial of the Dolby Atmos for Headphones add-on for you to be able try it out.
    • It will cost $14.99 to buy (if wanted) the Dolby Atmos for Headphones add-on after the free trial period is over.

1. Right click or press and hold on the notification area, and click/tap on either Spatial sound or Playback devices. (see screenshots below)

2. Double click/tap on a playback device (ex: "connected headphones") you want to enable spatial sound for. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Spatial sound tab, and select the Dolby Atmos for headphones format in the drop down. (see screenshot below)

4. If you haven't already installed and setup the Dolby Access app for your account on the PC, the Store will now open for you to sign in to and click/tap on Get or Install to install the free Dolby Access app now. (see screenshot below)

*note If you have already installed and setup the Dolby Access app, then go to step 5 below instead.

A) When the Dolby Access app has finished installing, click/tap on Launch to open the Dolby Access app. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on With my headphone in the Dolby Access app. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on Try it for free to install the 30 day trial of the Dolby Atmos for Headphones add-on for the Dolby Access app. (see screenshot below)

D) Click/tap on Get to confirm. (see screenshot below)

E) Click/tap on Okay to download and install the add-on now. (see screenshot below)

F) When the add-on has finished installing, click/tap on Configure PC settings in the Dolby Access app. (see screenshot below)

G) Select the Dolby Atmos for headphones format in the drop down in Spatial sound properties, check or uncheck the Turn on 7.1 virtual surround sound box for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

H) Select your connected headphones on the right side in the Dolby Access app, and click/tap on Continue. (see screenshot below)

I) Click/tap on Continue in the Dolby Access app. (see screenshot below)

J) You can now close the Dolby Access app, and go to step 6 below.
    5. Check or uncheck the Turn on 7.1 virtual surround sound box for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. You have now enabled Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Disable Spatial Sound

*note This is the default setting.

2. Double click/tap on a playback device (ex: "connected headphones") you want to disable spatial sound for. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Spatial sound tab, select None, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 15, 2016

2. Spatial Sound

Hi,

The Spatial Sound feature is available in Windows 10 but by default, it has been disabled. To enable it, follow the steps below:

• In the notification area, right-click on the sound icon.
    • In the context menu, click on Playback devices.
    • Select your playback device and then click on Properties.
    • Click on the Spatial sound tab.
    • Select the Spatial sound format you want to apply.

Get back to us if there is anything else. We'll be glad to help.

Jennifer Bri, Oct 26, 2019
  3. spatial sound is unavailable for this device

Hi,

The Spatial Sound feature in Windows 10 is disabled by default. To enable it, follow the steps below:

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Patricia Yu, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10

Spatial sound is not available on this device

Hello,

The Spatial Sound feature in Windows 10 is disabled by default. To enable it, follow these steps:

If you have any questions or things you'd like to clarify, feel free to ask.

Regards.

Marvin Barc, Oct 26, 2019
  5. boop2951 Win User
    Spatial Sound

I followed the instructions but when I got to #4 spatial sound said off and there was no other info or any way to turn it on. I hit return to default but that did nothing. Please help. my earphones are off .

boop2951, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Proton26 Win User
    Spatial Sound

Hey Jennifer,

Thanks for revert.

Things go good till step 3.

But then i get stuck. Attaching the screenshot.

Enable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10 2b0dc05a-7bce-4d94-b76f-45e633396d03.jpg

How do i do the 5th Step?

Proton26, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10

1. Enable Spatial Sound for Headphones in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Spatial Sound

2. Unable to enable windows spatial sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to enable windows spatial sound: When I go to properties and try selecting windows sonic for headphones it always reverts back to off. How to fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-enable-windows-spatial-sound/55ca0d67-93d9-4010-9388-d446f1754065
  3. Unable to enable windows spatial sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to enable windows spatial sound: When I go to properties and try selecting windows sonic for headphones it always reverts back to off. How to fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-enable-windows-spatial-sound/55ca0d67-93d9-4010-9388-d446f1754065
  4. Unable to enable windows spatial sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Spatial Sound enable option missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spatial Sound enable option missing: I wanted to enable Spatial Sound for my EKSA E900 Pro 7.1 Surround sound headphones, but there is no "ON" option thereHowever, if I try to enable Spatial Sound for my speakers which are built in my monitors, it is easily possible, I don't know why it is able to enable Spatial...
  6. The Dolby Atmos for Headphones (Spatial Sound) for Windows 10 problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The Dolby Atmos for Headphones (Spatial Sound) for Windows 10 problem: [ATTACH] The Dolby Atmos for Headphones (Spatial Sound) for Windows 10 always gets back to turned off every long time of shut down. Does it really not save the setting for spatial sound? There are times that the setting doesn't save, there are times there is. PS. I bought...
  7. Skullcandy spatial sound not showing window sonic for headphones

Skullcandy spatial sound not showing window sonic for headphones: I am trying to find ways of being able to access my window sonic for headphones, but that it won't show up and I don't know how to be able to download it or to be able to contact the manufacturer because of how it doesn't show where to ask for help. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. Dolby Atmos Spatial Sound not enabling

Dolby Atmos Spatial Sound not enabling: So, I did figure this out. I found another thread only 1!!! and ive been all over the internet trying to figure it out but i already kind of had an idea of what may of caused the issue. My Dolby Atmos Sound wouldnt enable. I could do windows sonic but when id click atmos...
  9. Dolby Atmos for headphones not selectable in spatial sound

Dolby Atmos for headphones not selectable in spatial sound: I recently installed Dolby Access from the Microsoft store to trial Dolby Atmos for headphones. During the trial I was able select Dolby Atmos for headphones in spacial sound settings but after purchasing the license the option is now gone, I am only able to select Off and...
  10. Im Trying to enable spatial sound but isnt enable

Im Trying to enable spatial sound but isnt enable: Im trying to use dolby atmos but spatial sound is not enable . tell me please how to enable spatial sound in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-enable-spatial-sound-but-isnt-enable/c8a984a1-358e-4ead-98b9-1cdabbe24197