Windows 10: Enable Windows Defender Scan Removable Drives in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable Windows Defender Scan Removable Drives in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable Windows Defender Scan Removable Drives in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable Windows Defender Scan Removable Drives in Windows 10

How to: Enable Windows Defender Scan Removable Drives in Windows 10

Enable Windows Defender Scan Removable Drives in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC without your knowledge: it might install itself from an email message, when you connect to the Internet, or when you install certain apps using a USB flash drive, CD, DVD, or other removable media. Some malware can also be programmed to run at unexpected times, not only when it's installed.

You can set a group policy that allows you to manage whether or not Windows Defender scans for malicious software and unwanted software in the contents of removable drives, such as USB flash drives, when running a full scan.

Removable drives can always be scanned during a quick scan and custom scan.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Windows Defender to include scan removable drives during a full scan in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable scan removable drives during a full scan.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Scan Removable Drives during Full Scan in PowerShell
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Scan Removable Drives during Full Scan in Group Policy
    • Option Three: To Enable or Disable Scan Removable Drives during Full Scan using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Windows Defender

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Scan Removable Drives during Full Scan in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below you want to use into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Enable)
    *Arrow Set-MpPreference -DisableRemovableDriveScanning 0

OR

(Disable)
    *Arrow Set-MpPreference -DisableRemovableDriveScanning 1
    3. When finished, you can close PowerShell if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Scan Removable Drives during Full Scan in Group Policy

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option One or Option Three.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender/Scan

3. In the right pane of Scan in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Scan removable drives policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Scan Removable Drives during Full Scan
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)
    6. To Disable Scan Removable Drives during Full Scan
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Enable or Disable Scan Removable Drives during Full Scan using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scan

DisableRemovableDriveScanning DWORD

0 or (delete) = enable scan
    1 = disable scan

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Scan Removable Drives during Full Scan
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_scan_removable_drives_in_WD_full_scan.reg

Download

3. To Disable Scan Removable Drives during Full Scan
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_scan_removable_drives_in_WD_full_scan.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 13, 2017
  2. Brian Cab Win User

Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Remove Scan with Windows Defender

I've updated step 3 in OPTION ONE below. It should work for you now. Enable Windows Defender Scan Removable Drives in Windows 10 :)

Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. JoeJY Win User

I have Defender Windows 10. I tried using custom scan to select and scan external drives. The screen listing the drives comes up, but the "OK" button remains grayed out so unable to scan any of the drives listed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Oct 26, 2019
  5. JoeJY Win User

I tried the custom scan in Defender Windows 10. It brings up the list of drives but the "OK" button remains grayed out when I select any drive in the list, so still unable to scan external drives... Any suggestion would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Oct 26, 2019
  6. jsfitz54 Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable Windows Defender Scan Removable Drives in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Defender Scan

2. Enable Windows Defender archive scanning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable Windows Defender archive scanning: When a user runs in PowerShell with Admin the following:Set-MPPreference -DisableArchiveScanning 0How does one verify it worked?? As user does not receive any sort of message..Can you look at log files after a scan is complete to see? For eg, if you see *zip files listed, you...
  3. Enable Windows Defender archive scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable Windows Defender archive scanning: When a user runs in PowerShell with Admin the following:Set-MPPreference -DisableArchiveScanning 0How does one verify it worked?? As user does not receive any sort of message..Can you look at log files after a scan is complete to see? For eg, if you see *zip files listed, you...
  4. Enabling Windows/Microsoft Defender built into 10 and 11 email scanning

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Enabling Windows/Microsoft Defender built into 10 and 11 email scanning: I have always wondered why there does not seem to be an email scanning option in Defender for those using an email client like Outlook so I dug a bit deeper. Turns out there is an option to enable it in Group Policy. Seems odd to me that a feature like this buried in GP...
  5. Windows Defender scanning USB Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender scanning USB Drive: Does windows defender scan devices connected to the PC such as USD drive? [Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-scanning-usb-drive/412c4d3b-97d1-49b0-8ff2-6d19d09c9fdf
  6. Windows Defender periodic scan re-enables itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender periodic scan re-enables itself: I disable it in task scheduler but it keeps enabling itself. How do I permanently disable periodic scans? What's the point of having periodic scans anyway if the protection is active 24/7 and scanning everything as it comes into the pc? submitted by /u/distopija [link]...
  7. Enable Defender Email Scanning?

Enable Defender Email Scanning?: I just discovered in a recent post that you can use the Powershell command Get-MpPreference to get the status of Defender settings. I have the default settings as far as I know but spotted that the option DisableEmailScanning was set to True. I discovered a setting in Group...
  8. Remove Scan with Windows Defender

Remove Scan with Windows Defender: Today, the AU update installed on my computer and totally wiped out most of the customizing I had done. When I first installed Win 10, I used Brink's Remove Scan with Windows Defender UI .reg to remove the entry from the right click menu. It will still remove the entry but...
  9. Enable or Disable Scan Archive Files by Windows Defender in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Scan Archive Files by Windows Defender in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Scan Archive Files by Windows Defender in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC without...
  10. Enable Windows Defender Scan Mapped Network Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Windows Defender Scan Mapped Network Drives in Windows 10: How to: Enable Windows Defender Scan Mapped Network Drives in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC without your...