Windows 10: Enabling Network Discovery via GPO does not work when Windows Firewall

Discus and support Enabling Network Discovery via GPO does not work when Windows Firewall in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Environment: Windows domain I'm trying to turn on network discovery for 100+ computers and I've created a computer-targeted GPO following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cosmos, Dec 8, 2017.

1. cosmos Win User

Enabling Network Discovery via GPO does not work when Windows Firewall

Environment: Windows domain

I'm trying to turn on network discovery for 100+ computers and I've created a computer-targeted GPO following instructions from this article: https://www.technig.com/enable-netwo...-group-policy/

I create a test OU and put one computer in said OU and apply GPO to the computer. I then run gpupdate /force on the targeted machine and restart the computer. I then run gpresult /scope computer /v and confirm that the GPO is being applied.

Incidentally, I didn't do the second part that's required for this to work, which is turn on Windows Firewall via GPO as per the article, but just to test I ran the GPO and confirmed that Network Discovery is turned on only when I turn off Windows Firewall manually when I check Advanced sharing settings: https://i.imgur.com/E7y9OBn.png
    When I turn Windows Firewall back on, network discovery and file sharing turn off as per screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/UlJvX5E.png

So I know that my GPO is turning on Network Discovery but windows firewall is blocking it, at least when some inbound rules aren't made yet. I can't turn off Windows Firewall completely (yet) so I proceed to include Windows Firewall exceptions into my GPO as per article instructions. Note that the article suggests only to include inbound rules and not outbound.

I then include these Windows Firewall rules as a part of my network discovery GPO (I didn't bother to create a separate GPO--don't know if this might be a problem).

Anyway, I apply this GPO and I see that the computer pulls it down. The problem is with these inbound firewall rules applied both network discovery and file and print sharing and still turned off. And when I look at Windows Firewall inbound rules I see that the rules are applied and enabled but the tick box for network discovery won't turn on. When I turn off windows firewall for domain the tick box shows it's enabled. So windows firewall is preventing this from working and I don't know what rules to enable to make it work. Turning off windows firewall is the only solution but it's too global.

What am I doing wrong here? Should I have set GPO to enable firewall rule first and then set GPO for enabling network discovery a period after? In my "Network Discovery GPO" I have both network discovery and firewall rules both set. Should I split them up?

I appreciate any insight on this. I really need to get this to work. Thank you.

:)

cosmos, Dec 8, 2017
  2. SarahKong Win User

I cannot see onter computers on my network from my windows 10 machine

Go to your domain controller and create a GPO for all your PCs to enable Network Discovery.

https://www.technig.com/enable-network-discover...

SarahKong, Dec 8, 2017
  3. Ziggy32 Win User
    GPO to enable UAC and set to Level 3

First... I am on a domain which is moot. GOP is GPO. If I go in and disable the Windows Firewall via GPO then even as a local administrator, when I go in to Control Panel and Windows Firewall, I cannot turn it back on. It is grey-ed out. That is what a GPO
    is for. To make settings no one can change. Try it.

As a administrator I can change the GPO to re-enable the Windows Firewall but I can no longer go in to Control Panel and change it because the GPO is controlling it.

Ziggy32, Dec 8, 2017
Thema:

Enabling Network Discovery via GPO does not work when Windows Firewall

1. Enabling Network Discovery via GPO does not work when Windows Firewall - Similar Threads - Enabling Network Discovery

2. Intune + Network Discovery not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intune + Network Discovery not working: I have configured Intune for a Windows 11 test machine with a Firewall policy, and EDR policy using MDE. The test machine is Azure AD joined but will not allow network discovery and file sharing.The Network interface is connected to a Private Network, and here are the...
  3. Enable PS-Remoting via GPO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable PS-Remoting via GPO: Good day,I have a bit of an issue. I need to be able to Enter-PSSession across my domain, but it does not work until on the client computer I run Enable-PSRemoting from the end point. I have GPO configured and have read 'guides' that all say to setup GPO the same so I have my...
  4. Enable PS-Remoting via GPO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable PS-Remoting via GPO: Good day,I have a bit of an issue. I need to be able to Enter-PSSession across my domain, but it does not work until on the client computer I run Enable-PSRemoting from the end point. I have GPO configured and have read 'guides' that all say to setup GPO the same so I have my...
  5. Enable PS-Remoting via GPO

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Network Discovery not working, Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Discovery not working, Windows 10: Yes, this keeps coming up and Microsoft still hasn't fixed it or improved the troubleshooter: Yesterday my home network discovery and access, via credentials was working fine. Today, discovery is gone and the computers are invisible to each other. Nothing changed! Nobody...
  7. Network discovery doesnt work

Network discovery doesnt work: I can no longer right click on the wifi button to open up available wifi networks. I have tried resetting, troubleshooting etc and the "sharing button" doesn't work either. What do I do?...
  8. Network Discovery not Working

Network Discovery not Working: As a part-time IT support person for a non-profit organization I have found that correcting the issues with network discovery over the years on different versions of Windows to be almost impossible and have found ways of living with them. Now that I have managed to end up...
  9. Enable-Bitlocker -TpmProtector via GPO does not work (0x80070522)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Enable-Bitlocker -TpmProtector via GPO does not work (0x80070522): Hello, I am trying to automate the bitlocker in our corporate environment. I have written a script which enables the bitlocker and it works fine if I run it manually, but whenever I implement it via GPO (startup script) right after Enable-BitLocker -MountPoint C:\...
  10. Network Discovery not working ?

Network Discovery not working ?: Hi Forum *Smile I am facing a problem that my PC running Windows 10 cant see other PC's/Devices on my network. Idk. if it have something to do with i cant make/join a homegroup. I was told to remove a file in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network discovery does not work if firewall is on

2. enabling network discovery via gpo does not work