Windows 10: Encrypt/Decrypt Context menu for Creators Update?

Discus and support Encrypt/Decrypt Context menu for Creators Update? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I used to use the following very helpful tweak since Win7 to enable a encrypt/decrypt context menu in the file explorer prior to the creators update:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by wickedscav, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Encrypt/Decrypt Context menu for Creators Update?

I used to use the following very helpful tweak since Win7 to enable a encrypt/decrypt context menu in the file explorer prior to the creators update:

However since the creators update, this tweak no longer works...

Does anyone know why or how to get the context menus back again? Thanks

:)

wickedscav, Apr 25, 2017
  2. Bzoow Win User

Cannot decrypt folders

I have the same issue and there appears to be a number of other comments about this with no answer as far as i can see. I guess EFS is not widely used but it certainly seems to be a bug in Windows 10. I have used EFS for some time under Windows 7 without
    issue. for reference I am using a Dell XPS15, not sure if that's relevant.

I have found a way to decrypt the folder - if you right click the folder there is an item in the context menu "File ownership", this only appears on green encrypted folders. Clicking this and then the "personal" item that appears will decrypt the folder
    and all files within - you don't get an option to just decrypt the folder like using the regular method but this is a minor issue. Hope it helps someone!

Bzoow, Apr 25, 2017
  3. Zepto ransonware

There are many different types of ransomware and decryptor tools. While there are a few decryption tools available which work on more than one type of ransomware, they do not work on all types.

Whether you can recover (decrypt) your files or not depends on what ransomware infection you are dealing with. All crypto malware ransomware use some form of

encryption algorithms
    , most of them are secure, but others are not. The possibility of decryption depends on how thorough the malware creator, what algorithm the creator utilized for encryption and discovery of any flaws.

Locky (Zepto) Ransomware encrypts data using
    AES Encryption
    and completely changes the filenames for encrypted files similar to CryptoWall 4 making it more difficult to restore the data. When a file is encrypted it will be renamed to different formats with random alpha-numerical
    characters depending on the version of Locky. More information in this BC News Article:

New Locky version adds the .Zepto Extension to Encrypted Files

As I said previously, there is no known way to decrypt files encrypted by Locky (Zepto) and many other ransomware variants without paying the ransom.

Locky Ransomware Information, Help Guide, and FAQ

"Unfortunately, it is not currently possible decrypt Locky encrypted files for free. It may, though, be possible in the future if the decryption keys are recovered from the Locky Command & Control servers. Therefore, if you do not plan on paying the ransom,
    it is advised that you make an image of the encrypted drives so that you can possibly decrypt them in the future....Your only way to recover Locky encrypted files is to try and restore them from a backup, from file recovery software, or if you are lucky, the
    Shadow Volume Copies.
    "

I sincerely wish I had better news to provide for you but there is nothing you can do but back up and save your data until a fix solution is discovered. When or if a solution is found, that information will be provided in this

Locky Spport Topic
    and you will receive notification if subscribed to it. In addition, a news article most likely will be posted on the
    BleepingComputer front page.

quietman7 - MVP, Apr 25, 2017
  4. shimshom Win User

Encrypt/Decrypt Context menu for Creators Update?

shimshom, Apr 25, 2017
  5. So I guess there is no way to get this context menu back in the creator's update? Too bad...

wickedscav, May 3, 2017
  6. cuteswan Win User
    Please pardon the thread necromancy, but when searching for an answer this is one of the first threads to show up. Anyway, I need that feature a lot, so here’s a workaround, but it's not pretty. Create two simple batch files somewhere (my example C:\Windows\Command):

>>> Encrypt.cmd
    Code: @echo off title Encrypting "%*" cipher /e "%*" if not errorlevel 1 goto leave echo {bell characters} echo Failed to encrypt "%*" pause :leave[/quote]
    >>> Decrypt.cmd
    Code: @echo off title Decrypting "%*" cipher /d "%*" if not errorlevel 1 goto leave echo {bell characters} echo Failed to decrypt "%*" pause :leave[/quote]
    Then add the following registry entries, using the directory where you put the cmd files:
    Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Decrypt] @="Decryp&t" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Decrypt\command] @="C:\\Windows\\Command\\Decrypt.cmd %1" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Encrypt] @="Encr&ypt" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Encrypt\command] @="C:\\Windows\\Command\\Encrypt.cmd %1"[/quote] HKCU should work fine too as far as I know, and I'm sure there are much fancier and more-elegant ways of doing it. The ampersands (&) are to mimic the original right-click menu quick keys. The cmd window popping up for a split second is a bit annoying. Still, it seems to work fine, even with multiple files selected and spaces in filenames, etc.

With any luck we'll get an actual fix for this someday.

cuteswan, Aug 19, 2017
  7. Thanks for the post. Have been looking for a solution for a long time but somehow I missed that thread.

There is no information on why the original tweak doesn't work anymore. Generel OS changes or deliberately done by MS?

wickedscav, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Encrypt/Decrypt Context menu for Creators Update?

1. Encrypt/Decrypt Context menu for Creators Update? - Similar Threads - Encrypt Decrypt Context

2. PCI Encryption/Decryption Controller

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCI Encryption/Decryption Controller: So I have a fairly new AMD machine running Win10. I have a Pro Switch controller that I used on Steam on a Win10 Intel Machine. The controller is now not being recognized by my new machine. [ATTACH] None of these PCI devices are able to update automatically. When...
  3. Encryption/Decryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encryption/Decryption: I encrypted some files in Windows 7 using EFS. The computer was formatted to install Windows 10 and those files won't open now. I tried to decrypt them by using the PFX file, cipher command, and setting permissions but they couldn't decrypt the files. They were unable to show...
  4. Encryption/ Decryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encryption/ Decryption: I encrypted some files in Windows 7 using EFS. The computer was formatted to install Windows 10 and those files won't open now. I tried to decrypt them by using the PFX file, cipher command, and setting permissions but they couldn't decrypt the files. They were unable to show...
  5. File Encryption and Decryption Problem

File Encryption and Decryption Problem: So recently, i faced issues with my windows laptop, i decided to do a complete backup of all my files and then reset the laptop. My laptop had encrypted most of the files which i only realised after having reset everything. Now, i cant grant ownershipt of the files nor modify...
  6. PCI Encryption/Decryption drivers failed to update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCI Encryption/Decryption drivers failed to update: Hi, I use Windows 10 32bit on a Lenovo G40-30 Laptop and I cant fix this problem . I tried windows updatesrecommended or not and I cant find a driver installation for 32bit version of Windows on producer's site. Thank you [ATTACH]...
  7. encryption and decryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    encryption and decryption: Hi, I want to encrypt photos for storage. I have many choice of software to do that , but my point or question is: In say 20 years, I will have changed computer , or my computer will be 20 years old, and I may not have updated or upgraded the original software that I...
  8. Can't decrypt encrypted files after update

Can't decrypt encrypted files after update: Hi I have an encrypted folder I enrypted. Now after the update to the newest version I cannot open any files in the folder, copy them or deactivate encryption. When I go into properties and try to decrypt, I get an error saying the file cannot be decrypted. If I try to copy...
  9. Encrypting or Decryption Files or Folders From Context Menu

Encrypting or Decryption Files or Folders From Context Menu: NOTE: This discussion applies to users of Windows 10 Pro only! By default, in any window of File Explorer, you can encrypt or decrypt a file or folder by right-clicking it, clicking Properties, and then clicking Advanced. However, it is easy to encrypt or decrypt from a...
  10. How Decrypt, Encrypt file?

How Decrypt, Encrypt file?: I saved my Photos in D:Drive. And Encrypt same personal photos by this way{Choose a photo->Right click on it->then properties->Advances option in General->Then choose "Encrypt file to secure data"}. But now I can't open my encrypted photos. And can't Decrypt it. So Please...