Windows 10: Encrypted drive with a new mobo

Discus and support Encrypted drive with a new mobo in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; TL:DR; Can I save the user data or recover from a mobo swap. So I had a Dell tech come out and replace the data cables, keyboard, and mother board on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Steven-Eric, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Encrypted drive with a new mobo

TLEncrypted drive with a new mobo :DR; Can I save the user data or recover from a mobo swap.

So I had a Dell tech come out and replace the data cables, keyboard, and mother board on an Latitude 5480.This device belongs to a student and has sensitive information on it. The problem is that the harddrive is encrypted and I am unable to go into any kind of repair mode or safe mode to trouble shoot the issues. The system essentially thinks I swapped a random hard drive into this new setup.

I can enter the users bitlocker password to unlock the drive and then it goes to the Windows 10 black screen with the blue windows icon. The circle spins for a few minutes then it restarts at the bitlocker password.

I can also access Bios before bitlocker kicks in. On a side note this was an windows 7 machine that was upgraded to windows 8 and finally to Windows 10 Education for encryption purposes. I can only get to the Windows screen or have the hard drive seen while it is in the following settings unlike a new setup being in uefi and ahci/raid with secure boot on.

Boot Sequence: Legacy

Advanced Boot option: Enable legacy option ROMs

SATA Operation: Raid

SecureBoot: Disabled (Cant be on in Legacy mode)

Any change to these settings make the hard drive not found.

:)

Steven-Eric, Jul 11, 2018

2. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 11, 2018
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jul 11, 2018
  4. Marc Cai Win User

Encrypted drive with a new mobo

Encrypted External Drive that cannot be opened.

Hi Sana,

It is a good idea to use Bitlocker to protect hard drives. Please provide the following needed information:

1. How do you try to access the drive?

2. Do you get any pop-up message when trying to access the drive?

3. Is this an external hard drive?

You can turn off Bitlocker Drive Encryption by following these steps:

• Login as Administrator to your PC.

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, find the volume on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the What level of decryption do you want dialog box, click either
      Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption or Decrypt the volume as needed.

Regards.

Marc Cai, Jul 11, 2018
Thema:

Encrypted drive with a new mobo

1. Encrypted drive with a new mobo - Similar Threads - Encrypted drive mobo

2. Install Windows 10 on new drive after Mobo/CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows 10 on new drive after Mobo/CPU upgrade: Hello all.I'm aware that you can use the MCT to install windows on a new drive under an existing license. I have a small twist on that scenario, and wanted to see if there was a way to utilize my existing license, or if I would need to purchase a new one.I have a desktop...
  3. Install Windows 10 on new drive after Mobo/CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Windows 10 on new drive after Mobo/CPU upgrade: Hello all.I'm aware that you can use the MCT to install windows on a new drive under an existing license. I have a small twist on that scenario, and wanted to see if there was a way to utilize my existing license, or if I would need to purchase a new one.I have a desktop...
  4. Install Windows 10 on new drive after Mobo/CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. New laptop no option to encrypt drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New laptop no option to encrypt drive: Bought a New Lenovo laptop IdealPad 5 with an AMD 5625u CPU Ryzen model with Windows 11 home. Was surprised when I discovered it does not automatically encrypt the drive and in Privacy and Security there is no option to do so. Apparently, it also does not support Modern...
  6. New laptop no option to encrypt drive

New laptop no option to encrypt drive: Bought a New Lenovo laptop IdealPad 5 with an AMD 5625u CPU Ryzen model with Windows 11 home. Was surprised when I discovered it does not automatically encrypt the drive and in Privacy and Security there is no option to do so. Apparently, it also does not support Modern...
  7. New MOBO and CPUBooting to windows then BSOD

New MOBO and CPUBooting to windows then BSOD: Need helpI have a new upgrade for my system with a new Asrock B550 and AMD Ryzen 5 5600G new PSUPut new MOBO in and Doesnt recognize it. If I clear the Bios it might boot up or just crash back to BIOS screen. If it does boot up to windows it crashes to the Bios screen to...
  8. System instability with new processor / mobo

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System instability with new processor / mobo: Hi all. I've recently upgraded my system from a Core i5 to the new Ryzen 5600X. Amazing performance but sadly the systems been very unstable. I'm running Windows 10 version 2004. I've gotten both SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSODs. As well as random...
  9. Automatic drive encryption failing on new install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automatic drive encryption failing on new install: [ATTACH] Tearing my hair out with this one, to be honest. New install of latest Win 10 Pro. The OS is useless to me without drive encryption. I log on, go to Encryption in the settings, and see this: The error message I'm greeted with For some reason it won't save the...
  10. New Mobo means new copy of Windows?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Mobo means new copy of Windows?: I recently had to replace my motherboard and I was wondering if I had to get a new copy of Windows. Microsoft considers a new motherboard to be a new computer therefore would I absolutely have to buy a new copy of windows? Is there any ways around this? I've already blown...