Windows 10: Encrypted hard drive that I can no longer access on Windows 10

Discus and support Encrypted hard drive that I can no longer access on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an external hard drive that I had to encrypt when using on a work computer. It's protected with a password and to access files, I run unlock.exe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by katiej, Sep 15, 2015.

1. katiej Win User

Encrypted hard drive that I can no longer access on Windows 10

I have an external hard drive that I had to encrypt when using on a work computer. It's protected with a password and to access files, I run unlock.exe and type in a password.
    However, since upgrading to Windows 10, I can no longer access the files. When I run unlock.exe an error comes up saying "this app cannot run on your PC". I've tried compatibility troubleshooting and searched forums etc for a solution, but can't find anything.

Can someone help?! *really

:)

katiej, Sep 15, 2015
  2. John-Neal Win User

I have Windows 10 and was using Bit Locker but I cannot see it under Control Panel anymore

I was using BitLocker on my Windows 10 PC and if I load an external drive it recognises it as being locked but I can no longer access BitLocker it through Control Panel etc to encrypt a new drive.

John-Neal, Sep 15, 2015
  3. PDevine Win User
    Windows 10 failed to install WindowsUpdate_8024201C

Encrypted hard drives cannot upgrade to Windows 10
    If you use data encryption software (such as Dell Data Protection | Encryption) to encrypt your hard drive, Windows 10 upgrade will fail and tell you that your computer cannot upgrade. To resolve this issue, you must decrypt your hard drive, then uninstall
    any encryption software prior to attempting to upgrade to Windows 10.

Once the Windows 10 upgrade is complete, you can download the latest version of your data encryption software and re-encrypt the hard drive.

PDevine, Sep 15, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 15, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    I guess, from the limited information that you provide, that you are using the Smartware software from WDC. The latest version that I find is here:

WD Product Update

It's not listed for Windows 10, but it includes WIndows 8, so it will probably support 10 as well.

The manual for it is here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...779-705057.pdf

Does your employer have any IT staff that could assist you with it?

bobkn, Sep 15, 2015
  6. katiej Win User
    Thanks for the welcome *Smile
    I can't remember what tool I used to encrypt it unfortunately. I don't think it was bitlocker as I've attempted the fixes and they haven't worked. Appreciate you trying to help though.

katiej, Sep 15, 2015
  7. katiej Win User
    Thanks Bobkn
    I don't work for that company any more which is part of the problem. I'll take a look at WDC. It sounds like it could be right. I am almost thinking I might have to find someone running Windows 8 or lower still and access it through their computer to remover the password.

katiej, Sep 15, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Hi

There is an article in WD knowledgebase that may help. Not an identical problem. But the solution might be helpful or lead you in the right direction while waiting for WD to get back to you. *Smile (I'm assuming you are going to open a support ticket with them)

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/...d0xuTDNCd20%3D

WhyMe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Encrypted hard drive that I can no longer access on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Encrypted hard drive

2. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?: Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?So far I can NOT image the external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-an-external-hard-drive-that-is-bitlocker/a25432e8-e230-481a-a67d-2d13c1260f17
  3. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?: Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?So far I can NOT image the external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-an-external-hard-drive-that-is-bitlocker/a25432e8-e230-481a-a67d-2d13c1260f17
  4. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Encrypted External Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Encrypted External Hard Drive.: I have External WD Drive that I encrypted, some hove confused with use of BitLocker. I need the data on the drive but can not access it any more. Any help-solution please.Thank you.MD...
  6. After Windows 10 update, can no longer access encrypted files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    After Windows 10 update, can no longer access encrypted files: My windows 10 PC was updated overnight. I can no longer access my encrypted files. I get "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privilieges ....". What happened? Tell me how to get my access privileges returned. Windows 10 Pro Version 2004...
  7. can not unlock my hard drive it is encrypted with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can not unlock my hard drive it is encrypted with bitlocker: i encrypted one of my hard drives with bitlocker and my computer crashed and wiped everything but the hard drive that was encrypted with bitlocker i no longer can find the recovery key through command prompt or the password have been trying for months i have data on there i...
  8. Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive: Hi all, After a reboot yesterday, the system wants to do a scan & repair of hard drive D on start up. After waiting several hours, it does not progress past 1% complete. I am able to cancel it and log in as normal but performance very slow. I can still see drive D in...
  9. Encrypting a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypting a hard drive: Good day all, I don't even know if this is the correct place to ask this so if anyone has a better place either on this forum or elsewhere I would appreciate it. Basically I know very little about encryption beyond the basics of what it is. What I'm looking for is a program...
  10. Can no longer access all computers/files/external hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can no longer access all computers/files/external hard drives: My computers crashed a few days ago - power failure - when everything was back up, my external hard drives were no longer visible on one PC in my network/homegroup the files are still visible in homegroup - I just get an error when trying to access. The message...