Windows 10: Encrypted Malware

Discus and support Encrypted Malware in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Slightly off topic - I'm running Win10 on a NTFS formatted disk and have another sata connected hd that I use for backup (this backup hd is also... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by quarkrad, Apr 7, 2016.

1. quarkrad Win User

Encrypted Malware

Slightly off topic - I'm running Win10 on a NTFS formatted disk and have another sata connected hd that I use for backup (this backup hd is also formatted NTFS). If I were to open one of these encryption malware emails and it (virtually instantly) encrypted my hd would my 2nd sata connected hd also be in danger or is it just the hd the email client resides on that is encrypted?

:)

quarkrad, Apr 7, 2016

2. How crypto ransomware spreads... is it decryptable...should I pay the ransom

Crypto malware typically will scan and encrypt whatever data files it finds on computers connected in the same network with a drive letter including removable drives, network shares, and even DropBox mappings...if there is a drive letter on your
    computer it will be scanned for data files and encrypt them
    . Some crypto malware will scan all of the drive letters that match certain file extensions and when it finds a match, it encrypts them. Other crypto malware utilize a white list and will
    encrypt all files unless it has certain excluded extensions or is located at a certain area on the system.

quietman7 - MVP, Apr 7, 2016
  3. Ramsomware and USB device protection

Most crypto malware (ransomware) typically will run under the security credentials of the user....it will run on non-admin accounts under the same privileges as the infected user and encrypt any files that are accessible to that user. If the user can write
    to a file then the ransomware will be able to encrypt it. Ransomware needs write-access to files it encrypts so it will not be able to encrypt files owned by another account without write-access while running as a non-admin account.

Since crypto malware can run as a non-admin user, you will not see a UAC prompt. If your daily user account is member of the Administrator group, the malware can install itself to run for all users.

quietman7 - MVP, Apr 7, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Encrypted Malware

Hi.
    These encryption malware will encrypt everything connected to the system; some even will attack unmapped network shares. The only sure way to keep a drive safe is to have it disconnected when not in use.

Might want to have a read of this:
    Solved BitDefender Releases Combo Crypto-Ransomware Vaccine - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Apr 7, 2016
Thema:

Encrypted Malware

1. Encrypted Malware - Similar Threads - Encrypted Malware

2. My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...: I was given a used PC that was Bitlocker encrypted, and neither of us have the Bitlocker password. It won't let me wipe the entire PC, and I was to to look it up. So I did, and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install Windows 11. I'm still pretty new to the IT...
  3. My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...: I was given a used PC that was Bitlocker encrypted, and neither of us have the Bitlocker password. It won't let me wipe the entire PC, and I was to to look it up. So I did, and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install Windows 11. I'm still pretty new to the IT...
  4. Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive: I had a Windows 11 laptop with a 512GB SSD, which got broken a few months ago I have the SSD intact. I am using an External SSD adapter to back up my data. I have access to my Bitlocker keys and can access my files in a read-only mode but if I delete or modify my files it's...
  5. Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive

Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive: I had a Windows 11 laptop with a 512GB SSD, which got broken a few months ago I have the SSD intact. I am using an External SSD adapter to back up my data. I have access to my Bitlocker keys and can access my files in a read-only mode but if I delete or modify my files it's...
  6. BitLocker - encrypt full drive or only existing data not shown?

BitLocker - encrypt full drive or only existing data not shown?: When enabling BitLocker and encrypting the only drive with Windows 11 Pro on it it took seconds to "encrypt" a drive. Then in the local group policy editor I can enable TPM+PIN, but still - I didn't have a prompt to choose between "encrypting everything, which will take more...
  7. Victims of four file-encrypting malware can retrieve their files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Victims of four file-encrypting malware can retrieve their files: People who have fallen victim to FortuneCrypt, Yatron, WannaCryFake or Avest ransomware should now be able to retrieve their encrypted files without giving into the extortion demands of cyber attackers. Three of the decryption tools have been released for free as part of No...
  8. A malware program has encrypted my files into an extention named VDUGWODY and I was...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A malware program has encrypted my files into an extention named VDUGWODY and I was...: I do not know where I picked this up, but some malware program has left a large portion of my laptop encrypted. I will paste the message it has left behind in a txt document. VDUGWODY-MANUAL.txt ---= GANDCRAB V5.2 =--- ***********************UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES...
  9. encrypt malware

encrypt malware: HOW DO I GET THIS MALWARE OFF MY COMPUTER ENCRYPT I HAVE TRIED MALWARE TO COMBAT IT BUT THAT HAS NOT WORKED https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypt-malware/35b3e0c6-2e59-4223-90d0-ac57517b8607"
  10. Malware Trying to Encrypt my Hard Drives

Malware Trying to Encrypt my Hard Drives: Hi all, I have somehow acquired some malware that keeps trying to encrypt my files but I have a program running called CyberReason which blocks it everytime it tries to do its evil deed. Yet it does not clean the ransomware from my PC. What is the best ransomware...