Windows 10: Encrypting a hard drive

Discus and support Encrypting a hard drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Good day all, I don't even know if this is the correct place to ask this so if anyone has a better place either on this forum or elsewhere I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by hishighness420, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Encrypting a hard drive

Good day all,

I don't even know if this is the correct place to ask this so if anyone has a better place either on this forum or elsewhere I would appreciate it.

Basically I know very little about encryption beyond the basics of what it is. What I'm looking for is a program that will allow me to encrypt a hard drive and have it so it will work fine to the PC that I associate with it, and the program recognizes the pairing to facilitate that, but if someone tried to use the hard drive on another computer the data would not be accessible if they didn't enter a password into the same program on that computer to pair/decrypt the hard drive for the new computer. It's a USB drive so I'd like to be able to unplug and replug it in to the primary computer and have it be accessible without having to go through a long decryption process.

I'm just wondering first if that is possible, and secondly if so if anyone could recommend a program that would do it. Preferably a free program but if paid is the only way to go I'd be willing to pay if I have to to protect my data.

Thank you very kindly for your time.

:)

hishighness420, Jun 17, 2018

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jun 17, 2018
  3. Marc Cai Win User
    Encrypted External Drive that cannot be opened.

Hi Sana,

It is a good idea to use Bitlocker to protect hard drives. Please provide the following needed information:

1. How do you try to access the drive?

2. Do you get any pop-up message when trying to access the drive?

3. Is this an external hard drive?

You can turn off Bitlocker Drive Encryption by following these steps:

• Login as Administrator to your PC.

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, find the volume on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the What level of decryption do you want dialog box, click either
      Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption or Decrypt the volume as needed.

Regards.

Marc Cai, Jun 17, 2018
  4. Encrypting a hard drive

external drive and encryption?

This question is two-fold.

First I would like an external enclosure that is rugged and shock resistant (static electricity and the like, being winter and all) for a 3.5inch SATA drive.
    Barring that, an external drive with the above. What would you guys recommend?

Also, I was wondering, is there a tool to encrypt the entire hard drive, but that does NOT ask to format said encrypted disk? I tried TrueCrypt, and last time I did, it asked me to format the drive because it was not recognized. I know there are alternatives, but I forgot their names. Price is of no concern if it is able to do so. any suggestions? Does Windows not show "drive must be formatted" on TrueCrypt drives anymore?

Best way would be if I plug in the drive, it asks for password automatically or something...

speedy11131, Jun 17, 2018
Thema:

Encrypting a hard drive

1. Encrypting a hard drive - Similar Threads - Encrypting hard drive

2. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?: Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?So far I can NOT image the external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-an-external-hard-drive-that-is-bitlocker/a25432e8-e230-481a-a67d-2d13c1260f17
  3. Encrypted External Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Encrypted External Hard Drive.: I have External WD Drive that I encrypted, some hove confused with use of BitLocker. I need the data on the drive but can not access it any more. Any help-solution please.Thank you.MD...
  4. Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?: I use bitlocker with my dell xps windows ten laptop. I also use an old chromebook. So I have a one tb external hard drive that i downloaded lot of videos/files on with the chromebook. Thus after a lot of files, i transfer it to my chromebook by copy and pasting it etc since...
  5. Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?

in Windows 10 Support
    Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?: I use bitlocker with my dell xps windows ten laptop. I also use an old chromebook. So I have a one tb external hard drive that i downloaded lot of videos/files on with the chromebook. Thus after a lot of files, i transfer it to my chromebook by copy and pasting it etc since...
  6. Secure encryption for removable hard drive?

Secure encryption for removable hard drive?: I'm considering keeping a USB hard drive with some file backups in my car. I'm already backing up my entire computer to a drive in my home office; the car copy would just be critical files as a kind of catastrophic protection (in case of fire, etc). Since there would be...
  7. Secure encryption for removable hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Secure encryption for removable hard drive?: I'm considering keeping a USB hard drive with some file backups in my car. I'm already backing up my entire computer to a drive in my home office; the car copy would just be critical files as a kind of catastrophic protection (in case of fire, etc). Since there would be...
  8. How to unlock hard drive encrypted with BitLocker

How to unlock hard drive encrypted with BitLocker: I don’t remember the password and cannot unlock the hard drive. Can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-hard-drive-encrypted-with-bitlocker/08678428-f8fd-436f-9512-81369fef0fab
  9. Help Getting an Encrypted Hard drive to read

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help Getting an Encrypted Hard drive to read: Hello I am new to Windows 10 and was pretty much forced to change over. I had a windows 7 laptop that I took into my local computer shop and when I got it back they had swapped out the 1TB Barracuda hard drive with a smaller one. they told me it was encrypted. I dont recall...
  10. Malware Trying to Encrypt my Hard Drives

Malware Trying to Encrypt my Hard Drives: Hi all, I have somehow acquired some malware that keeps trying to encrypt my files but I have a program running called CyberReason which blocks it everytime it tries to do its evil deed. Yet it does not clean the ransomware from my PC. What is the best ransomware...