Windows 10: Encryption Enabled By Default or Not?

Discus and support Encryption Enabled By Default or Not? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, all! I installed Windows 10 on Wednesday. I remember one of the notifications that came up was asking me if I wanted to back up my encryption... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ElectroPulse, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Encryption Enabled By Default or Not?

Hello, all!

I installed Windows 10 on Wednesday. I remember one of the notifications that came up was asking me if I wanted to back up my encryption key.

I'd like to know, is Windows 10 encrypted by default? I read around, and it sounds like Windows 8.1 is, and would like to know for Windows 10. If so, how would one go about disabling this encryption? The only thing I've been able to find about it in the control panels (damn you, Micrsoft... Should've gone back to just one) is BitLocker, which is disabled.

Thanks!

P.S. Running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

:)

ElectroPulse, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Kai Ponte Win User
    Kai Ponte, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Adeptable Win User
    Is full device encryption enabled by default?

Of course that is not the question. You don't do full encrypt your device, just to have a secure boot. You full-encrypt a device to keep your data private. According to me it is a BIG failure for Microsoft not to have full device encryption "out-of-the-box",
    just like IOS and Android.

Microsoft will argue it is possible to full encrypt the device using
    Exchange ActiveSync. My reply is that most users are not to be found in a corporate environment. Implicitely Microsoft tells its users their data is not important, only corporate data is. I think this attitude is the reason why the phones of Microsoft keep
    on a small niche, much to my dismay. Microsoft should take ALL of its customers seriously, not only the corporate ones!

Adeptable, Jul 30, 2015
  4. NoDeX Win User

Encryption Enabled By Default or Not?

There's no encryption unless you explicitly enable it via BitLocker. Cheers.

NoDeX, Jul 30, 2015
  5. PAL
    pal Win User
    There is also file based encryption, where you encrypt files individually. If you have used this feature at some point, Windows have created an encryption certificate for you. It is wise to have a backup of it.

6. Alright, thank you for the replies!

I've never used encryption before on this computer, and it is a clean install on top of that. Does it just automatically generate one for in case you do?

ElectroPulse, Jul 31, 2015
  7. DavidY Win User
    Sorry but that isn't correct.

Windows 8.1 introduced Device Encryption which is included in all versions of Windows 8.1 (even the non-Pro version which doesn't have Bitlocker).
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...ice-encryption

The catch is that it only works on certain hardware - it has to support something called InstantGo. You won't find this on any old PC, for one thing it needs the operating system to be on a solid state drive. You also need Secure Boot to be there and enabled, and a Microsoft Account with Admin rights, so that it can backup the encryption keys.

But for a tablet or similar, it's quite likely this would be supported. I have a tablet which has Windows 8.1 with Bing, and that is encrypted using this (well I'm temporarily unencrypting it to upgrade to 10 but until yesterday it was encrypted.) It started encrypting itself when I switched on Secure Boot.

I'm assuming Windows 10 is very similar, and therefore if the computer supports InstantGo specification, has Secure Boot and you login with an MSA with admin rights, I'd expect it to start encrypting.

DavidY, Jul 31, 2015
  8. PAL
    pal Win User

An EFS certificate is usually created when you encrypt your first file. If you have never done it, it might be a certificate for something else.

9. Thank you again for the replies!

I believe my BIOS has a TPM feature (getting ready to reboot to check), but not secure boot (also will be checking for this), as it was pre-8.

I am indeed logging in with a MS account with admin privileges. Is there any way to visually confirm or deny in settings that there is encryption going on?

I remember it specifically mentioned encryption.

ElectroPulse, Jul 31, 2015
  10. DavidY Win User
    You could look in Disk Management. In the lower panel (where it says Disk 0, etc.) it should tell you if drives are encrypted.

If you don't have Secure Boot, and especially if your hardware is pre-Windows 8, I think it's unlikely that the default encryption is active.

However you would have been able to run Bitlocker as you have the Pro version, but you or someone using the PC would have needed to switch it on.

DavidY, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Encryption Enabled By Default or Not? - Similar Threads - Encryption Enabled Default

2. Can't enable bitlocker encryption.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enable bitlocker encryption.: Hello. I have a problem. I can't enable bitlocker encryption. I have windows 11 21h2 home single language, I also recently performed a local reinstall of windows....
  3. Can't enable bitlocker encryption.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't enable bitlocker encryption.: Hello. I have a problem. I can't enable bitlocker encryption. I have windows 11 21h2 home single language, I also recently performed a local reinstall of windows....
  4. Encryption enabled. Now what?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encryption enabled. Now what?: My original Windows 11 laptop setup had encryption enabled, but when a tech turned off encryption and then replaced the mother board due to a microphone issue, encryption went missing. Manufacturer inexplicably replaced the hard drive as the answer of course not, and I just...
  5. Encryption enabled. Now what?

Encryption enabled. Now what?: My original Windows 11 laptop setup had encryption enabled, but when a tech turned off encryption and then replaced the mother board due to a microphone issue, encryption went missing. Manufacturer inexplicably replaced the hard drive as the answer of course not, and I just...
  6. Cannot enable encrypted dns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot enable encrypted dns: There is no option to enable encrypted DNS in windows 10 21h1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-enable-encrypted-dns/95a34509-c335-439d-a4e5-13ab2ebf8c72
  7. Cannot enable encrypted dns

Cannot enable encrypted dns: There is no option to enable encrypted DNS in windows 10 21h1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-enable-encrypted-dns/95a34509-c335-439d-a4e5-13ab2ebf8c72
  8. Cannot enable encrypted dns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Can't enable device encryption

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't enable device encryption: Hi everyone, I'm trying to set up device encryption on my laptop with Windows 10 Home. I've checked and I have TPM 2.0 but when I look under system information I get: "Reason for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not...
  10. cannot enable device encryption

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cannot enable device encryption: looking at msinfo I get the following reason : Device Encryption Support : Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected Can someone explain to me how...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. compress or encrypt attributes windows 2016