Windows 10: Encryption of personal files with CTB-Locker

Discus and support Encryption of personal files with CTB-Locker in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guide...ncrypted-virus So my friend has this problem and i would like to give him good advice. Anyone here that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jeffrys, Sep 9, 2015.

1. jeffrys Win User

Encryption of personal files with CTB-Locker

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guide...ncrypted-virus

So my friend has this problem and i would like to give him good advice.

Anyone here that had this problem before?

My friend is on Windows 10.

Thanks

jeff

:)

jeffrys, Sep 9, 2015
  2. RickCP Win User

CTB Unlocker

Please look up at Windows Defender's History tab for detection and action taken for this threat.

Encryption of personal files with CTB-Locker [​IMG]

CTB-Locker ransom note

A repository of all current knowledge regarding the CTB-Locker
    (aka
    Critroni
    - Microsoft detection) Ransomware is provided in this

CTB Locker and Critroni Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ
    (courtesy of bleepingcomputer.com).

Reading that Guide will help you understand what CTB-Locker does, and provide information for how to deal with it.

Also see:

-
    New CTB Locker
    campaign underway increased ransom timer and localization changes

-
    CTB-Locker Ransomware Support and Help Topic

A list of some related threads on our Community is found
    here.

Windows Defender on Windows 10 might have detected and removed the main infection, but was/is unable to recover your files (no RTP program can do at this time).

Unfortunately, there is no 'free' decryption tool available 'at this time (situation described in BC's Information Guide above has not changed)', and since there is no known way to retrieve the private key that can be used to decrypt your files without paying
    the ransom (NOT recommended!), the only realistic way you can restore your data is from a previous external backup. If you have been performing regular backups, then
    you should use your backups to restore your data.

As with most ransomware infections, the best solution for dealing with encrypted data is to
    restore from backups. Please note that CTB-Locker shall delete your Shadow Volume Copies so that you cannot restore your files via System Restore or using a program like

Shadow Explorer
    ... but it never hurts to try, so as to check in case the ransomware failed to do everything it's supposed to do.

While Restoring from backups may be your only choice
    at this point
    , unless you get lucky with recovery software such as
    Recuva
    , R-Studio, or

PhotoRec
    - always at least worth a try... please note that the encrypted files themselves aren't a threat, since they do not hold the malicious encrypting executable in them. They are just encrypted.

So if you have unsuccessfully tried recovery software mentioned above to restore your files, or couldn't recover them all from a recent - prior to infection - external backup (as it's the

first and best method to restore your data
    ), or if there wasn't any at all; it is always recommended to
    backup the encrypted files and save them on an external storage media (like an external HDD)
    'as-they-are' and leave them be in hopes of a solution in the future (if one is ever found).

If there are any break-throughs, and/or when/if a solution is discovered, be assured that information will be provided in this related
    support topic (and you shall receive a notification if subscribed
    to it) and/or a new news article be published at BC's news section.

Regret we can not be of much help this time, and appreciate your taking the time to report this instance and for any future feedback you may wish to share with us about your not-so-nice experience with this nasty one. Please keep us posted. Your participation
    is important to our Community.

Best Wishes!

=========

-Tip: Please AVOID searching the Web for malware removal and decrypting tools for this (or any other) crypto-malware infection. You will only find 'scammers' and 'untrustworthy sites' offering 'fake
    or dubious' tools that will only grant you an additional headache (or worse).

Please see:
    Affiliate Spam is not only Annoying but can offer Costly Advice

=========================================================

You can also help spread the word so that others may contribute to:

Help BleepingComputer Defend Freedom of Speech!

=========================================================

RickCP, Sep 9, 2015
  3. PA Bear - MS MVP, Sep 9, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Looks like your link is good advice. Remove the virus and restore your files from backup. If you haven't any backup you have to decide whether to risk paying the ransom or not as you can't decrypt the files. I wouldn't pay for sure.

lx07, Sep 9, 2015
  5. jeffrys Win User
    Well Halasz,

He did take B-U's on another computer which is infected too.......

He also bought already another drive where everything has to be put on again, except his photo's of his children, which are gone.

Does not want to take the risk, that even formatting the drive would not erase everything.

Even System Restore did not work.

Jeff

jeffrys, Sep 9, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    That is really unfortunate. System restore wouldn't work, no - restore points only hold OS data - not backups of personal files. I'm afraid that there isn't really a solution. You wouldn't want your name on their list of people who pay ransoms I don't think.

lx07, Sep 9, 2015
  7. jeffrys Win User
    Well Halasz,

i have enough back-ups taken everyday to avoid that.

But my friend did only take one....

It was a long shot to ask it , since he already had taken his pc to a store and they could not help him either.

But thanks

Jeff

jeffrys, Sep 10, 2015
  8. simrick Win User

Hi.
    Here are instructions for removing CTB Locker.

Please be absolutely sure this is what you have, and not some other encryption software, because some of them have been cracked, and people have been able to get their files back without paying.

I would not pay any ransom. There is a good chance that you will just lose the money.

Please have your friend backup his encrypted files/photos to a spare drive and store it away, in case something breaks in the future. Find the threads at BleepingComputer which address his particular infection, read them thoroughly, and subscribe to them for future updates.

Install CryptoPrevent to help thwart these encryption infections in the future, in addition to your normal anti-virus.

simrick, Sep 16, 2015
  9. simrick Win User
    It appears that when CTB Locker encrypts a file it first makes a copy of it, encrypts the copy, and then deletes the original. Due to this you can may be able to use a file recovery software such as R-Studio or Photorec to recover some of your original files. It is important to note that the more you use your computer after the files are encrypted the more difficult it will be for file recovery programs to recover the deleted un-encrypted files.

simrick, Sep 16, 2015
  10. jeffrys Win User
    Thanks Simrick,

yes i told him to use an external USB drive AND a USB-stick. He can plug in the stick, take the B-U, remove the stick.

So then he has 2 B-U's. He can let the B-U program run, to put his photo's and so one on the server he has. This as an extra.

No he is not going to pay and he showed me the problem.
    It is the CBT Locker.

They should put them in jail for that.

Jeff

jeffrys, Sep 16, 2015
  11. simrick Win User
    Hi Jeff,
    Did you see the info in my post #7 above? He may be able to run a file recovery program to get some of his deleted files back. It's worth a shot.

Yeah, these rats should be in jail! *Mad

simrick, Sep 16, 2015
  12. Borg 386 Win User
    Not that it helps now, but in the future consider making a system image on a regular basis & keep it on an external drive that is not always connected to the PC/Laptop. Locker viruses are widespread now & the a system image is a good safeguard. Keep 3 or 4 prior backups in case you inadvertently make one with a virus.

System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Even if you do pay the ransom, there is no guarantee you will get the decryption key.

Borg 386, Sep 16, 2015
  13. jeffrys Win User

I did not offer him, because i do not think he still uses that drive, but i inform him and then it is his choice.

He told me that the drive would no longer be used, because he fears that not everything will be removed and then ....you know....

Jeff

jeffrys, Sep 17, 2015
  14. lx07 Win User
    If you change your local group policy to not run programs from %localapppdata% you'll stop the current batch. Perhaps.

Thema:

1. Encryption of personal files with CTB-Locker - Similar Threads - Encryption personal files

2. Bit locker encryption not turning inWants live person

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bit locker encryption not turning inWants live person: Cannot turn on bitlocker encryption Getting message adm should allow bitlocker without compatibility tpm option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bit-locker-encryption-not-turning-inwants-live/3ab89a65-bbc2-4152-a56d-444921127f38
  3. Bit locker encryption not turning inWants live person

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bit locker encryption not turning inWants live person: Cannot turn on bitlocker encryption Getting message adm should allow bitlocker without compatibility tpm option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bit-locker-encryption-not-turning-inwants-live/3ab89a65-bbc2-4152-a56d-444921127f38
  4. Bit locker encryption not turning inWants live person

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Encrypted locker is lost

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypted locker is lost: I have a WD My Passport external drive. I am using FOLDER LOCK7 to encrypt important files. I was working on the locker file when my system restarted after a blue screen. After that the locker file disappeared. It was in the name of PROGRAM FILES.flka. Instead, a .flkb file...
  6. Encrypted locker is lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted locker is lost: I have a WD My Passport external drive. I am using FOLDER LOCK7 to encrypt important files. I was working on the locker file when my system restarted after a blue screen. After that the locker file disappeared. It was in the name of PROGRAM FILES.flka. Instead, a .flkb file...
  7. Encrypted locker is lost

8. Bit locker encryption

Bit locker encryption: Greetings I had to turn off the bit locker encryption today due to something , but I wanted to turn it on again and since then it shows "encryption is in progress" . Kindly help....
  9. Bit lockers encryption

Bit lockers encryption: Recently my laptop hanged Hp 15-duMy laptop has nvme slot in that I installed nvme ssd 256gb and install fresh window in it and suddenly my previous hdd has locked with bitlocker...
  10. Bit Locker Encryption

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bit Locker Encryption: We have an HP ProDesk 400 G6 SSF workstation, we were having issues with the workstation and had the motherboard replaced. After the motherboard was replaced, the workstation wouldn't boot past a bit locker encryption key screen. We tried doing a factory reset, a format of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ctb locker decrypt

2. encrypted by CTB locker