Windows 10: Endless Reboot

Discus and support Endless Reboot in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I downloaded and installed the updates and, when it asked me to reboot, I did. However, I had to leave the house, so I left it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by naeim9, Oct 18, 2017.

1. naeim9 Win User

Endless Reboot

Hello everyone,
    I downloaded and installed the updates and, when it asked me to reboot, I did. However, I had to leave the house, so I left it to restart. When I came back almost 6 hours later I saw the black screen with the dots moving in a circle indicating some sort of processing.
    I let it work, and now it's been about 20 hours since I restarted it yesterday.
    I searched the forum, but couldn't find any similar topic.
    Does anyone know how long approximately it's supposed to take?
    What would you do? Should I force it to shut down and turn it on again and hope it goes well?
    I really need your opinion guys. I had a very bad experience with one of the windows upades 2 years ago.
    My system is kind of old, but works fine. It has 8 gb of RAM and Dual-Core 500 gb HDD.
    Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

:)

naeim9, Oct 18, 2017

2. Endless reboot

Hi Sheryl,

To better assist you, may we ask what happens when you try to boot your computer in Safe Mode?

We look forward to your response.

Lizette Ags, Oct 18, 2017
  3. Endless reboot

My PC with Windows 10 will not boot. It will go to the screen with Safe Mode etc. but nothing works.

SherylManion, Oct 18, 2017
  4. Endless Reboot

Updating Windows 10 would not take 20 hours its stuck for sure you should restart your computer and hopefully this will resolve the issue.
    If the issue will not resolve by restarting computer follow below troubleshooting steps.

A quick fix for the loop error could be booting into the Last Known Good Configuration mode:

At the Advanced Boot Options screen, select Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)

Endless Reboot [​IMG]

Press Enter key.

If this fix doesn’t solve the loop error, try any of the following fixes below.

Delete cleanup.xml and pending.xml
    The Windows Update loop can be fixed in most cases by deleting the following files found in the \Windows\WinSxS\ folder:

• cleanup.xml
    • pending.xml

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below commands into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

Code: del C:\Windows\WinSxS\cleanup.xml del C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml[/quote]
    Endless Reboot [​IMG]

Restart your computer.

If deleting pending.xml and cleanup.xml doesn’t work, use the DISM command:

Code: dism /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions[/quote] Where C: is the drive where Windows 8/8.1/10 is installed.

Please replace partition letter C: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Endless Reboot [​IMG]

If System Restore was enabled and running on your system, you can try to restore your computer to an earlier date to access Windows. You can try boot your computer into Safe Mode and use System Restore tool. You can also use System Restore tool from Windows Recovery Environment

FreeBooter, Oct 18, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    @FreeBooter- your instructions refer to Win 7 features- naeim9 quotes Win 10 in My computer.

Although we don't know to which update or upgrade naeim9 is referring, a reasonable guess would be an upgrade to an existing win 10 build.

Also be very careful about assuming what the drive letter might be as seen from an offline command prompt. You don't know how many partitions may be involved.

It is unlikely System Restore will be applicable or available if this is an upgrade in progress.

dalchina, Oct 18, 2017
  6. naeim9 Win User
    Thank you so much for your answers. Yeah.. I forgot to say that I have Windows 10, and it's the latest update: Oct. 17, 2017.

naeim9, Oct 18, 2017
  7. Hi @dalchina

My instructions works for Windows 10 as well these instructions from my tutorial and instructions deals with Windows Update Is Stuck In An Endless Loop.

FreeBooter, Oct 18, 2017
  8. naeim9 Win User

Endless Reboot

Just to keep you updated..
    I forced my laptop to shut down, and turned it on again. It resumed installation from 30% on a green screen and now it's at 51%.
    Will let you know how it ends up after it gets somewhere.
    Thank you @FreeBooter and @dalchina for giving me the courage to do this, and for all the useful information.
    Will keep you posted for sure.

naeim9, Oct 18, 2017
  9. naeim9 Win User
    It worked! The update installation resumed and ended successfully!
    Problem solved! =)

@FreeBooter
    @dalchina
    Thank you so much for your help. God bless

naeim9, Oct 18, 2017
  10. We are glad to hear your issue has been resolved, thank you for letting us know that all is now well!

FreeBooter, Oct 18, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Must have been a relief.

I suggest you also do some basic disk checks as it took so long, just in case.
    First use Hard Disk Sentinel (trial).
    If ok (it gives a very clear indication) then
    check your file system:

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Endless Reboot

1. Endless Reboot - Similar Threads - Endless Reboot

2. Laptop stuck in an endless reboot cycle without the display turning on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop stuck in an endless reboot cycle without the display turning on: When I started my laptop this morning the screen blinked orange, green, red, and white and since then it has been stuck in an endless reboot cycle. The keyboard lights up and the fans turn on and after a few seconds it turns off again and it does this on repeat, the screen or...
  3. Laptop stuck in an endless reboot cycle without the display turning on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop stuck in an endless reboot cycle without the display turning on: When I started my laptop this morning the screen blinked orange, green, red, and white and since then it has been stuck in an endless reboot cycle. The keyboard lights up and the fans turn on and after a few seconds it turns off again and it does this on repeat, the screen or...
  4. Laptop stuck in an endless reboot cycle without the display turning on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. KB5021233 update produces endless bluescreen/ reboot cycle with stop code 0xc000021a Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5021233 update produces endless bluescreen/ reboot cycle with stop code 0xc000021a Windows 10: About a week ago I made the mistake of allowing the KB5021233 update to be installed. From that point onward, there was a constant reboot where the computer would produce the blue screen of death with stop code 0xc000021aI managed to manually uninstall the update the first...
  6. KB5021233 update produces endless bluescreen/ reboot cycle with stop code 0xc000021a Windows 10

KB5021233 update produces endless bluescreen/ reboot cycle with stop code 0xc000021a Windows 10: About a week ago I made the mistake of allowing the KB5021233 update to be installed. From that point onward, there was a constant reboot where the computer would produce the blue screen of death with stop code 0xc000021aI managed to manually uninstall the update the first...
  7. KB5021233 update produces endless bluescreen/ reboot cycle with stop code 0xc000021a Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Endless rebooting after Repairing drive C, and system update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Endless rebooting after Repairing drive C, and system update: It all started with a complete freeze of the PC, the cursor did not move, the image on the monitor too, nothing happened at all. After restarting the system, there was a black screen, after another restart, a repair of disk C appeared, which starts at 100%, after which System...
  9. Endless rebooting after Repairing drive C, and system update

Endless rebooting after Repairing drive C, and system update: It all started with a complete freeze of the PC, the cursor did not move, the image on the monitor too, nothing happened at all. After restarting the system, there was a black screen, after another restart, a repair of disk C appeared, which starts at 100%, after which System...
  10. Endless rebooting after Repairing drive C, and system update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging