Windows 10: Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) for Windows 10

Discus and support Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) for Windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; [img] Warning See: Windows: Moving Beyond Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) - Windows 10 Forums Features removed or Deprecated in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Brink, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) for Windows 10

Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) for Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning See:
    Update: How to Change Exploit Protection Settings from Windows Defender Security Center in Windows 10

Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) 5.5.2

Date Published: November 4th 2016
    File Name: EMET Setup.msi
    File Size: 25.6 MB

Release notes: User Guide for EMET 5.52

Information The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) is designed to help customers with their defense in depth strategies against cyberattacks, by helping detect and block exploitation techniques that are commonly used to exploit memory corruption vulnerabilities. EMET anticipates the most common actions and techniques adversaries might use in compromising a computer, and helps protect by diverting, terminating, blocking, and invalidating those actions and techniques. EMET helps protect your computer systems even before new and undiscovered threats are formally addressed by security updates and antimalware software. EMET benefits enterprises and all computer users by helping to protect against security threats and breaches that can disrupt businesses and daily lives.

Note Supported Operating Systems
    Windows 10 , Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Vista Service Pack 2 )

- EMET 5.52 requires .NET Framework 4.5.
    - For Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8 you need to install KB2790907 – a mandatory Application Compatibility update that has been released on March 12th, 2013 or any other Application Compatibility updates for Windows 8 after that.

:)

Brink, Oct 15, 2015

2. WINDOWS DEFENDER VS PURCHASED VIRUS PROTECTION

Re EMET:

Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) version 5.5 is now available

+

Download Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) 5.5 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Jsssssssss, Oct 15, 2015
  3. EMET 5.5 SimExecFlow blocking Excel & other Office opening

Hi,

Your concern regarding EMET needs in-depth technical assistance. We suggest that you post it on our
    MSDN forum or
    TechNet forum. We have highly technical users and IT professionals there that can address your concern.

For more information regarding Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET), you can the articles below:

The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit

EMET mitigations guidelines

Do let us know if you have any other concerns.

Reymichael Ros, Oct 15, 2015
  4. dencal Win User

Hi Brink.
    Downloaded Emet, problem encountered, could no longer open Internet Explorer. though Edge was unaffected.
    See attachment.

Rectified by uninstalling Emet

dencal, Dec 24, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello dencal,

I would recommend to uninstall EMET for now then. *Sad

Brink, Dec 24, 2015
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    It sometimes does odd things like that. Try toggling between profiles, as that usually fixes it. For example, change 'Certificate Trust (Pinning)' to disabled (this will change the profile at the top to 'Custom Security Settings'), then change the profile back to 'Recommended Security Settings' afterwards. Reboot the PC.

I'm not exactly sure why this is needed, but I've found if I don't do this when a new version of EMET is released, it can sometimes cause all sorts of problems like you mentioned.

ARC1020, Dec 30, 2015
  7. dencal Win User
    Thank you for your input....but if I may quote from your above post.
    "It sometimes does odd things like that"
    This doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the efficacity of this product.

dencal, Dec 30, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Are you using MBAE alongside EMET?
    Read more here: grand stream dreams: Harmonizing EMET and MBAE

Cliff S, Dec 30, 2015
  9. dencal Win User
    Thanks Cliff for the link which gives confirmation of my inability to use IE with EMET installed.
    Rather odd that M$ should not make their own product compatible, yet EMET, Mbam and Mbae both work perfectly using Edge.
    I might reinstall EMET and play around with it to see if I can harmonize as per your link.

dencal, Dec 30, 2015
  10. ARC1020 Win User
    It's not really aimed at normal users as you'll notice if you start adding your own applications and certs, but yeah I think it should be labelled as experimental software or permanent beta to make it clear to people before they install it. A while ago they turned on deep hooks as a default setting, when they must have known it was going to wreak havoc, but they did it anyway. Presumably they then used the Windows error reporting logs to see what it broke and then fine tuned EMET accordingly. So yeah, it isn't a final solution, it is experimental software and I think the whole idea of it is that they can test mitigations in EMET first, with the intention of eventually incorporating them as part of the OS.

I reported the above problem probably more than 2 years ago, but it's still present in new versions. But in fairness, when I've reported Certificate Pinning issues along with Debug Diagnostics Tool logs, they fixed them pretty quickly, so it depends on the issue I guess.

In answer to your comment about Edge, EMET mitigations don't apply to Edge.

ARC1020, Dec 30, 2015
  11. dencal Win User
    Given the advanced technologies used to protect Microsoft Edge, including industry leading sandboxing, compiler, and memory management techniques, EMET 5.5 mitigations do not apply to Edge.

Your above quote I find rather strange inasmuch that M$ state that it is supported in W10.
    If Edge is supposedly the future planned principal O/S this does not make sense.

Another point if one looks again at the starter of this topic, EMET 5.5 Beta requires .NET Framework 4.5. updated to 4.6
    See below that only part of this feature is either turned on, or turned off completely, could this be perhaps why IE is unobtainable?

dencal, Dec 30, 2015
  12. ARC1020 Win User
    EMET is primarily an anti-exploit tool. What they are saying is that there aren't any application rules included for Edge in the default protection profiles as the anti-exploit mitigations provided by EMET aren't necessary for Edge, due to it's own defence mechanisms built-in.

Internet Explorer works fine with EMET. The error message you're seeing in Event Viewer is saying EMET closed IE due to SimExecFlow. SimExecFlow is short for 'ROP Simulate Execution Flow' and is one of the anti-exploit mechanisms built into EMET. You can disable this mitigation for IE or even all mitigations for IE, but that would be pointless as that isn't the route cause of the error message that you're seeing. It is a false positive error message.

As I pointed out in post No.4, I have had this happen multiple times before due to something not initiating correctly when installing EMET and needing to switch between profiles to fix it. I do not know why this happens, but for whatever reason doing that changes something causing it to work as it should. Even when doing an in-place upgrade and keeping all the recommended settings, it can still trigger the false positives like you are seeing until switching to a different setting and then back to the 'Recommended Security Settings' profile. I do not know whether that will fix your problem, but as it's something I have experienced on more that one PC and on more than one OS (Windows 8 and 10), from my point of view it's worth trying that first as opposed to random guessing.

Obviously, another question you need to ask yourself is whether you have the time and patience to deal with experiential/beta software? I usually don't install beta Operating Systems for this reason myself, as I need the OS to work reliably.

ARC1020, Dec 30, 2015
  13. dencal Win User

Tried your suggestions and more toggling as in your post #4, restarted numerous times only to be confronted with the following attachment.
    Clicking on retry does not work yet click on cancel starts EMET. what sort of a crazy system is this!
    Impossible for me to open IE with all the methods tried, so am now following Brink,s advice as given in post #2. uninstall.

dencal, Dec 30, 2015
  14. Reldel Win User
    EMET 5.5 was released in final version 1/29/2016.

Reldel, Jan 30, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you. First post updated. *Smile

Brink, Jan 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enhanced Mitigation Experience

2. Toolkit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toolkit: how to get the Microsoft Toolkit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toolkit/ae2706d9-7e7e-4d6b-80d8-18de0829e9a0
  3. Toolkit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toolkit: how to get the Microsoft Toolkit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toolkit/ae2706d9-7e7e-4d6b-80d8-18de0829e9a0
  4. Facebook enhances Messenger Rooms experience with new features

in Windows 10 News
    Facebook enhances Messenger Rooms experience with new features: Today, we’re announcing new features to enhance your experience in Messenger Rooms, joinable group video calls that make it easy to spend quality time with friends, loved ones and people who share your interests. Personalize your Room In addition to...
  5. The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit is not working in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit is not working in Windows 10: When I go to install EMET 5.5 then its say, error try again. Is there any solutions for this problem. Windows 10 Education Dell Inspiron 15...
  6. How to activate the new enhanced touch experience in Build 18970

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to activate the new enhanced touch experience in Build 18970: Hello, I installed the new Preview Build 18970 on my convertible laptop. Problem is, that laptop doesn't tell Windows which mode it is in. So automatically switching doesn't work. How do I manually activate the new feature? I want to test it (in fact, that is the only...
  7. Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Toolkit!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Toolkit!!: When I check to install WICD in the wizard of "Windows Assessment and Deployment toolkit" there are 4 other options checked. And when I just check to install Windows Configuration Designer(WCD) not WICD, there are no option checkedin the wizard. I just wonder what is the...
  8. New Snapdragon 632, 439, and 429 for enhanced mobile experiences

in Windows 10 News
    New Snapdragon 632, 439, and 429 for enhanced mobile experiences: IaMwOOlVcFg Smartphone users have diverse needs, and Qualcomm Technologies has a suite of mobile platforms for all of them. That means device manufacturers can offer a range of cutting-edge choices from the entry-level 200 series to the premium 800 offerings. The Snapdragon...
  9. EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?: Just wondering what people are using for Windows 10? Apparently EMET can be easily exploited in Windows 10 and MB Anti exploit is recommended over it. Any opinions on this? Does the premium version of Anti exploit allow you to secure 3rd party apps as EMET is able to? 64470
  10. Windows: Moving Beyond Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)

in Windows 10 News
    Windows: Moving Beyond Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET): EMET – Then and Now Microsoft’s Trustworthy Computing initiative was 7 years old in 2009 when we first released the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET). Despite substantial improvements in Windows OS security during that same period, it was clear that the way we...