Windows 10: Ensuring stacked windows are not obscured

Discus and support Ensuring stacked windows are not obscured in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A handy feature of Windows 10 is that by Shift+Right clicking a program's taskbar icon I can choose 'Show all windows stacked'. But, taking IrfanView... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

Ensuring stacked windows are not obscured

A handy feature of Windows 10 is that by Shift+Right clicking a program's taskbar
    icon I can choose 'Show all windows stacked'. But, taking IrfanView as an example, depending on the
    state of all windows, the targets and others, it's rare that the stacked windows will all be immediately fully visible.

For example, with four IrfanView images open (in various states/positions/sizes) and from whatever I am doing, in whatever
    program, here's what I want to see after issuing that stacking instruction:

Ensuring stacked windows are not obscured [​IMG]

But here's a typical example of what I might see:

Ensuring stacked windows are not obscured [​IMG]

Is there any way to ensure that my target windows all get 'top' status, (presumably in succession), so that nothing obscures any of them please?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Dec 17, 2017
  2. DadZarmy Win User

Window Management

In Windows 10 (and 7), when I open a new window it almost always appears stacked in front of any windows that are already open, which is really irritating and arguably the least useful place to position it. If I want to drag a file between two windows, I
    have to open window 1, then window 2, then drag window 2 across my desktop so it's not obscuring window 1, *then* drag the file.

Is there any way to prevent new windows from obscuring already-open ones?

DadZarmy, Dec 17, 2017
  3. Show windows side by side has stopped working in W10?

I do not want to get into a discussion of the "Snap" feature.

If Microsoft is going to so substantially change a basic feature that it is not recognizable to the original feature, they should rename it. Right Click on the Taskbar and see the Command "Windows to Snap".

Perhaps Microsoft intended the original "Show Windows Side by Side" and "Show Windows Stacked" to be there in Windows 10, and as it originally functioned in previous Windows versions, but it got crossed up between different departments. Who knows.

And in the above discussion for snapping windows, there is no indication of how to show two windows stacked with the snap feature (useful for wide spreadsheets).

However you want to characterize it, the basic original functionality should be provided when one right clicks on the Task Bar, and then selects "Show Windows Side by Side" or "Show Windows Stacked". All the discussions of "progress just get used to it",
    workarounds, reg edits and the like just obscures those of us that wish to communicate to Microsoft that users want to see the original feature restored.

So, Again:

MICROSOFT FIX THIS

JeffConklin99, Dec 17, 2017
Thema:

Ensuring stacked windows are not obscured

1. Ensuring stacked windows are not obscured - Similar Threads - Ensuring stacked are

2. Open Window Without Obscuring Existing Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open Window Without Obscuring Existing Windows: I have plenty of empty desktop space. A typical use case is to be using an Application in a window and then wanting to also open another application. But even if I move the existing Application window I was using to the side of my main desktop, when I then open a new Windows...
  3. Open Window Without Obscuring Existing Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Window Without Obscuring Existing Windows: I have plenty of empty desktop space. A typical use case is to be using an Application in a window and then wanting to also open another application. But even if I move the existing Application window I was using to the side of my main desktop, when I then open a new Windows...
  4. Photograph obscuring my desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photograph obscuring my desktop.: While working on my computer I inadvertently hit a key which caused the desktop to merge with a photographic image or the other way around. Either way, the two seem inseparable. I think the image originated from an SD memory card that had not yet been downloaded to the...
  5. Win10 - product key obscured!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 - product key obscured!: This may sound a bit absurd but having devoted nearly 2 days getting a new Win10 installation fully updated, I now cannot read the product key to activate the system. The reason being that the 'MICROSOFT' security sticker covering the key has left a glue residue that's...
  6. Obscure Fullscreen problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Obscure Fullscreen problem: I’m on Win 10 pro on a home-built PC and I started having a very odd issue with what I believe to be Win 10. I’ve had the same hardware and OS set up since about October of last year and this issue only started to arise within the past couple weeks. — TL;DR: After a few...
  7. Finding files with obscure names

in Windows 10 Support
    Finding files with obscure names: Files may appear in Windows Explorer with names that give no clue as to their nature or purpose. The names may be important to allow programs that depend on them to find them, or there may be other reasons why they should not be changed. What is the best way to add metadata...
  8. Ensuring Bitlocker is Working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ensuring Bitlocker is Working: I have just read the following quote on the CERT website. The quote is from Microsoft but is on the CERT site. It has to do with Bitlocker. ************************* Encryption with BitLocker depends on the correct setting of the Group Policy. More information about this...
  9. Ensure Trim is Enabled?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ensure Trim is Enabled?: I have read several articles on Trim and it seems like my settings are opposite of what the articles say. All articles say the setting should be "0" for Trim to be enabled. I followed the steps to verify the status and below is what my system reports....
  10. Videos obscured.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Videos obscured.: Why have all videos (both mine and those taken by others - eg Facebook) suddenly started playing with a thick band of unrelated colour obscuring the bottom third of the image? Videos displayed fine previously. Using Windows 10 Version 1803 OS Build 17134.165 on an Acer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to ensure windows are not obscured by task bar