Windows 10: Enterprise VS Consumer Grade Routers, Need a router?

Discus and support Enterprise VS Consumer Grade Routers, Need a router? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So in the past I've gone through a few routers. Not quickly, all have spent a few years before crapping out. I've experienced one crap itself when we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TheeSilent, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Enterprise VS Consumer Grade Routers, Need a router?

So in the past I've gone through a few routers.
    Not quickly, all have spent a few years before crapping out.
    I've experienced one crap itself when we connected up 8+ computers for LAN gaming.
    Not sure if they're crapping out due to load but I think it might be.

I do
    Game server hosting
    VPN connections
    Web hosting/FTP
    and usually have around 7+ devices connected. We also have meetings at my house so then I end up having 20+ devices.
    I utilize MAC filtering (for every device 20+), custom DHCP and DNS routing, bandwidth control and address reservations stuff.
    Basically utilizing heaps of stuff.
    Streaming (In the future)

Do you reckon all this is to much for something like a TP-Link WDR4900 or should I grab a enterprise grade router for stuff like this.

Yes, I do use all the above with realistic device numbers.
    Thanks in advance

:)

TheeSilent, Sep 24, 2016

2. When will WP7 support on-device encryption?

Greetings HSWP7! Welcome to the Windows Phone forums!

The need for on-device encryption is needed, but as a enterprise level feature, it will likely be a while before it is added, as the WP7 is currently designed as a consumer device. Sure, it has access to Office Mobile, Sharepoint services, etc, but it's really
    intended to be a consumer device.

I suspect that the platform will mature into a quality Enterprise grade device within the year, but that's just a guess on my part.

I hope that answers your question!

David A Matson, Sep 24, 2016
  3. srfreeman Win User
    Enabling credential guard on windows 10

It would seem that Active Directory would provide you what is necessary for management of these decidedly enterprise level features.

This may be considered out of scope for this decidedly consumer grade forum. You may want to try the TechNet forums for more diverse guidance concerning your question.

srfreeman, Sep 24, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Enterprise VS Consumer Grade Routers, Need a router?

If you want to roll your own, use pfSense. If you are getting more than one IP from your ISP, yes a good router comes in handy. Especially one with fallback. MAC filtering is old. Use Radius. You would need to roll a Radius server for handling those connections. You can do it with a Synology NAS with Dual Ethernet ports. Also you can get one with a eSATA port to expand storage. I use the DIS216+ II with a Fantom 4TB hard drive. With two 1TB Constellation drives, I will not be using that space up.

The other good thing about the Synology NAS's being capable of handling everything for routing and firewall, is that it also lets you run Docker.

bro67, Sep 25, 2016
Thema:

Enterprise VS Consumer Grade Routers, Need a router?

1. Enterprise VS Consumer Grade Routers, Need a router? - Similar Threads - Enterprise Consumer Grade

2. Needing a New Router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Needing a New Router: I was wondering if anyone can recommend a router? Someone on here sent me one for free a while back, but it went out, so now I'm without one again. . haha. . . I like Linksys Routers, cuz it's all i've ever used. But, i'm inclined to switch if the price is right. . . I can...
  3. Cable Modem/router + Personal router

Cable Modem/router + Personal router: My cable company provides a box that is a modem & router. I also use my own router attached to the cable modem. I have done nothing to the cable box except attach a cable from my router to it. Do I need to "Bridge" the cable router or can I use the WiFi from it along with the...
  4. Routers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Routers: I am a router hijacking victim. These idiots have managed to gain access to my iPhone also(and screwed it up plenty, too!) What to do??? Please help me sooner over later . . . . . . Virus and Malware/Other/Scanning, Detecting, and Removing threats/Other/Unknown...
  5. Router

Router: Hi guys, When I try to connect to my WiFi, it asks for a network security key. (This is Windows 10, by the way) It also says that I can connect by pushing a button on my router. I'm not exceptionally good with computers and tech, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid...
  6. Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers: I am an IT guy, so security is constantly on my mind -- I would like feed back as well some input and opinions into this injustice done by major manufacturers. This is the fact that major manufacturers of Consumer Routers (Mostly) are building in "Default" back doors to these...
  7. Router

Router: my average download speed tested through 8 online speed checkers over the last 6 months is 38 Mb/s. Yesterday it droped to 1.2 Mb/s. I rebooted the router and it went up to 40Mb/s. The same has happened today. What is the problem and can anyone help please 93698
  8. Routers

Routers: Hello I hope the link I am providing works. I set up my router by bridging the Comcast gateway then enabling WPA2, AES, N etc. and installing a password to enter the router and a key to protect it. I keep the SSID broadcasting. I know there are a lot of sophisticated options...
  9. DNS Priority (Windows 10 vs Router/Modem)

DNS Priority (Windows 10 vs Router/Modem): OS: Windows 10, version 1709 Router/Modem: Arris (Comcast) TG1682g I have a question about which DNS IP address has priority. The router has a fixed DNS IP of 75.75.75.75 (Comcast). It appears from looking at the router software/firmware and comments on the Comcast...
  10. Need a router!

Need a router!: Need to replace my router but know nothing about them! 3000 sq ft single level home Grandsons do a lot of gaming Wife binge watches Netflix Multiple devices will be in use at same time Currently have a Buffalo AC 1300 4 port with a Netgear 5 port switch so need as many...