Windows 10: Enterprise - Windows Update Rant, Issues, Questions

Discus and support Enterprise - Windows Update Rant, Issues, Questions in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Currently stuck in Windows Update hell. So I originally came to this forum looking for advice because Windows Update just wouldn't install updates for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by windows10update, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Enterprise - Windows Update Rant, Issues, Questions

Currently stuck in Windows Update hell. So I originally came to this forum looking for advice because Windows Update just wouldn't install updates for me. I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise. It just kept getting stuck at preparing to install updates at 97%, before giving me an error and a retry button--nothing else. I wasted my precious bandwidth redownloading and attempting to reinstall the bloody updates 4-5 times. On the fifth try, the darn thing finally gave in and installed the updates.

Enterprise - Windows Update Rant, Issues, Questions [​IMG]

Not sure if it's because Windows Update was trying to update stuff that wasn't on my computer anymore. I'm talking system apps like OneNote, or certain features in Office 2016 that I never installed, like Skype for Business or Visio 2016. Yet Windows Update decided to force a bunch of meaningless mandatory updates on me anyway! I swear, if crap like this keeps happening I'm just going to untick the option to install non-essential updates. I regret not getting the LTSB edition. Here's an example of what I'm talking about (it would freeze at this point):

Enterprise - Windows Update Rant, Issues, Questions [​IMG]

It took 2 hours. 2 hours of downloading and attempting to reinstall. At first, the only update it installed, out of the giant list of updates to install, was an update for my useless, non-functional AMD Radeon 6470M... which AMD has decided to rebrand as the 7400M in Windows (apparently AMD does this a lot to older cards that have specs similar to new cards). So for some idiotic reason, since 2014, on Windows 7, and now on Windows 10, I've been receiving updates for the AMD Radeon 7400M instead of the 6470M from Windows Update... anyway...

On to my second issue/rant: where is Threshold 2?!

I only upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise a day ago--it's essentially a clean install because I only got to keep my files. Yes, I know. This should mean that I'm not allowed to update to Threshold 2 for 31 days because I still have the ability to go back to Windows 7.

But I used Disk Cleanup to delete my Windows.old folder.

When I go into 'Recovery', I don't see any option to revert to Windows 7. Only 'reset Windows 10' and the like.

So shouldn't Windows Update give me TH2? The only updates I'm getting are for my Microsoft products/drivers and security updates.

I went into gpedit.msc and completely disabled the option to defer updates. Windows Update is set to automatic. But I'm still not seeing TH2. Not sure why I'm still one of the 31 day people since I can't go back to Windows 7 anymore. Do I need to give it time? I really want to get the update done and over with before my classes start again. That way I can resolve any errors ahead of time.

winver
    says I'm on 10240, and regedit says my Windows version is 10240.th1_st1.151104-1714. The code 1511 is in there, lol. So am I currently using some iteration of 1511, or is it only saying that because of the security updates? I'm so confused.

Should I even update to 1511 at all? I heard it has a lot of problems. Is it possible for me to bypass it completely and update to a newer 'service pack' over TH2 when one comes out?

If I don't get the update in 31 days, will I need to update via the Media Creation Tool in order to get the latest version of Windows 10?

Thanks.

:)

windows10update, Dec 16, 2015

2. Windows 10 Pro Startup Issue

Jericho,

I appreciate the response, however I had originally had Window 10 Enterprise version 1511 installed on my machine. I was having issues installing a graphics driver which I thought was due to the fact that I was running enterprise so I downgraded to Pro.
    Little did I realize that I had "downgraded" to Pro version 1607. Since posting this question I reinstalled Enterprise on my machine and, after some fiddling, realized that the issue was the anniversary update (1607) as the machine only gives me this issue
    when the anniversary update is installed.

Yankee296fan, Dec 16, 2015
  3. When will I get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

Pretty sure it's not by location (at least not with enterprise versions). I have 5 Windows 10 Enterprise versions running at different locations, one being at home. I have another running Windows 10 Home at home, that received the update day one through
    WU. All of my Windows 10 Enterprise have yet to receive this update. You can see my post on the fist page to see the error with the Update Assistant with Enterprise versions.

All Home and Enterprise's are 64bit.

All Home and Enterprise's are using Microsoft accounts.

All Home and Enterprise computers are located in the US.

All Home and Enterprise's use Windows Defender only.

Some of my Enterprise versions have developer mode on, this doesn't seem to make a difference.

All Home and Enterprise's meet the minimum and recommended requirements.

All Home and Enterprise's have defer upgrades disabled.

My question is has anyone got this update on Enterprise versions at all through Windows Update?

Travis Virili, Dec 16, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Enterprise - Windows Update Rant, Issues, Questions

Is that 90 day trial version or you bought it thru your company ?

CountMike, Dec 18, 2015
  5. It's not an Enterprise specific issue, I'm running Enterprise on my laptop and it did some updates yesterday without issue. 10240 is the last consumer build. 10586 is the official TH1 build. As far as I know you will not get offered 10586 via Windows update, not for Enterprise versions. You will have to get an ISO and do it manually. Enterprise has always been that way as far as I know. I clean installed 10586. Why are you running Enterprise? If you have a valid product code for Windows 7 or 8/8.1 you can now clean install and activate 10586 Home/Pro with that key.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Enterprise - Windows Update Rant, Issues, Questions

1. Enterprise - Windows Update Rant, Issues, Questions - Similar Threads - Enterprise Update Rant

2. Questions and Rants - Microsoft Store Cart/Checkout specifically

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Questions and Rants - Microsoft Store Cart/Checkout specifically: I have been trying, for weeks, to buy an Xbox Series X/HLEXSX.Every time I get one into my cart, the entire store goes haywire. Nothing loads. Error. Can't checkout. Error. Try that again. Error. Oops something went wrong on our end. Error. The URL may be misspelled. Error. -...
  3. Questions and Rants - Microsoft Store Cart/Checkout specifically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions and Rants - Microsoft Store Cart/Checkout specifically: I have been trying, for weeks, to buy an Xbox Series X/HLEXSX.Every time I get one into my cart, the entire store goes haywire. Nothing loads. Error. Can't checkout. Error. Try that again. Error. Oops something went wrong on our end. Error. The URL may be misspelled. Error. -...
  4. Questions and Rants - Microsoft Store Cart/Checkout specifically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. RANT: Done with Updates!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RANT: Done with Updates!!!: I'm so infuriated! Yesterday, Microsoft made me force me update my PC to a security update that can't be uninstalled on July the 26th!!!! WHY CAN'T MICROSOFT JUST EVER MAKE A VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY TURN OFF UPDATES LIKE IN WINDOWS 7 AND XP!!!?!?!?!...
  6. Windows rant

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows rant: [ATTACH] Not here to talk bk n forth about it, just a rant I literally cannot help but notice more than ever these idiotic stuff pertaining to the way windows decides to operate.. First of all I use single and NOT double click to select things. Now, why is it when...
  7. Windows will log you out in 5 minutes - It's not a question, it's a rant.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows will log you out in 5 minutes - It's not a question, it's a rant.: I have seen Windows do some annoying things over the decades but this one takes the cake. Windows will log you out in 5 minutes. There is no way to postpone it. There is no way to abort it. You have to click OK on the window because it takes over the screen and you cannot...
  8. About these daily windows 10 updates...more a question than a rant

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    About these daily windows 10 updates...more a question than a rant: I really like Win10 Pro and after a few months of testing, I've swung one of my laptops completely over to it. In the course of testing various programs over the months, I installed my own old Office Xp from 2002. Actually, just Word and Excel since I use those once in a...
  9. Couple Enterprise questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Couple Enterprise questions: 2 PCs...1 W10 Pro, the other W10 Enterprise. W10 Pro is on an inferior old laptop and is functioning as intended. W10 Enterprise is on a bigger better desktop and there are two issues at the moment: 1) it is slower than Pro on the older laptop. 2) Edge is installed and...
  10. A Rant: Win Updates and their frustrations.

in Windows 10 Support
    A Rant: Win Updates and their frustrations.: Greetings everyone. Installing the Fall update. Took me the whole day, about. I hoped, that MicroSoft had learned by now, or changed their point of view on a few topics, but no... I made sure, before the update, that my system was as clean as possible, and updated to...