Windows 10: Environment Variables & .bashrc file gone after upgrade

Discus and support Environment Variables & .bashrc file gone after upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga 900. After my update yesterday I opened Git Bash and had an error showing virtualenvwrapper.sh no such file or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wolfhoward, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Environment Variables & .bashrc file gone after upgrade

I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga 900. After my update yesterday I opened Git Bash and had an error showing virtualenvwrapper.sh no such file or directory. I was also unable to run python, pip, Anaconda and Atom. Once I got atom, python, and pip back via reinstalling all three I found my .bashrc file is also gone. I'm not sure what would have caused this but if there's an easy recovery option I'd appreciate it. Just system restore? Then I'm worried about running the update again.

:)

wolfhoward, Jul 14, 2017
  2. Jose Est Win User

User environment variables recovery

Hi Haoran,

The system environment block represents environment variables for all users of the particular computer. A user's environment block represents the environment variables the system maintains for that particular user, including the set of system environment
    variables.

That being said, there might have been a conflict with your user environment variables after renaming your PC.

To have your user environment variables issue addressed, we highly recommend posting it to our
    TechNet Forum which caters IT professionals who are actively answering these types of concerns. Click
    here to post your issue.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Jose Est, Jul 14, 2017
  3. Myvryn Win User
    How to use a custom bashrc file or where the file used by the system is located on Windows 10.

I actually modified my bashrc file and screwed it up, so BASH will no longer load. I need to find the default BASH folder in the Windows environment so that I can modify it again. Anyone know where it is located in the windows file structure?

Myvryn, Jul 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Environment Variables & .bashrc file gone after upgrade

Hi, if you could quote your Windows build
    (Windows key + R, winver) and the update in question, perhaps someone may be better able to relate to this.

Also do have a look at the News section. There you will find a thread per update (just CTRL F or F3 when there and search for your update).

Note: not everyone receives the same update at the same time, and some are on different major builds.

dalchina, Jul 15, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    Note that bash is finally on the Store as Ubuntu so it might be worth you getting that.

It's not uncommon for bash to get reset after a major release.

swarfega, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Environment Variables & .bashrc file gone after upgrade

1. Environment Variables & .bashrc file gone after upgrade - Similar Threads - Environment Variables bashrc

2. environment variables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    environment variables: Cant get the modal window when editing my system variables from the environment variables areai get this windowand i want this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/07d24fc8-345d-4062-8169-3fa9bb16a049
  3. environment variables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    environment variables: Cant get the modal window when editing my system variables from the environment variables areai get this windowand i want this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/07d24fc8-345d-4062-8169-3fa9bb16a049
  4. environment variables

in Windows 10 Customization
    environment variables: I have accidentally deleted all environment variables and now can't reset PC, sound problems and having errors withsoftware installations and running of other apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/3412f031-f141-4fb5-858c-009dd5639860
  5. environment variables

environment variables: Hi, another question from a noob. I see in my PC environment variables at the bottom of the list a sole entry called ZES_ENABLE SYSMAN 1 .I am a sole PC home windows 10 user who only really games a lot. Should this be here, i can only find entries for this in the...
  6. Environment Variables not Working After Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Environment Variables not Working After Startup: I downloaded java sdk and mingw and set up the environment variables for their bins. After startup, they dont recognize commands like java and gcc. If I open up the environment variable viewer in control panel, it seems to refresh or something, and they work again. submitted...
  7. Environment Variables

Environment Variables: I am unable to add USER Variable in windows environment variable setting. Not asking for Path variables in system variables. Help will be appreciated. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/0d063cb8-ccde-465d-8b8b-d5c1ea880c78
  8. environment variable

environment variable: What would happen when we deleted all the environment variable system directory. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variable/723a4cb6-5baf-4907-a56b-614f35d77da5
  9. windows environment variable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows environment variable: I have deleted all thing and every thing from windows environment variable that's why I faces problem in running programe than how can I setup environment variable again?...
  10. Environment Variables

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Environment Variables: what will happen if i accidentally delete one of those environment variables without realizing it ? and how to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/fedbdf36-ce8e-4861-a775-1dc62dd1c67e