Windows 10: Errant Mouse

Discus and support Errant Mouse in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. Recently, my Logitech wireless mouse has been behaving erratically. I cannot successfully coat large amounts of text in a Word document to cut or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by deemby, Mar 24, 2018.

1. deemby Win User

Errant Mouse

Hi.
    Recently, my Logitech wireless mouse has been behaving erratically. I cannot successfully coat large amounts of text in a Word document to cut or paste, the same with cells in an Excel spreadsheet, (the area already covered disappears). I am using MS Office 7.The MS snipping tool will not allow me to snip freeform or in rectangular mode (it starts saving before I have finished the snip). Is this a problem in MS office, my mouse driver, or perhaps the mouse itself (all the other function seem to work okay)?
    Thank you

:)

deemby, Mar 24, 2018
  2. ernliz Win User

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller waking computer from sleep

Do you have an Off switch on your mouse? Turn it off when done and see if the prob resurfaces. Worked for me, but may not for you..... Apparently, even if you don't touch the mouse, it may send an errant signal eventually to the PC to wake it (even if
    your "wake" options are off)

Just a thought.....

EW

ernliz, Mar 24, 2018
  3. screen went black and white

You probably hit the keys by accident or maybe a strange mouse click on something. Could have even been an errant Windows driver or other updates.

Very glad to have helped.

If you don't have any more questions, feel free to choose a rating and have a great day!

SpiritX MS MVP, Mar 24, 2018
  4. Barman58 Win User

Errant Mouse

Just to eliminate the Mouse itself before blaming the software

If possible try with another Wired mouse
    Change the battery in the wireless mouse
    Move the universal receiver / wireless receiver to another USB port
    Check the Logitech software for settings in the wrong mode

If the issue still remains then It is likely to be something in Word or windows

Try saving a document in a format that Wordpad can open - does the same issue happen with text selection

Does the alternate selection method for text work [F8 at start of text, Click at end of text Esc to stop]

Barman58, Mar 24, 2018
  5. deemby Win User
    I responded to your answer, but having clicked on the "solved" button, the response was lost. Changing the fitted rechargeable batteries that have been in place since 2004 helped. I also noticed that my gel mouse mat was grubby and pitted so tried using from my desktop surface which seemed to help. Given its age I may opt to replace. Do you have any views re wired/wireless optical mice? Is there a better snippper than the built in windows 10?
    Thank you

deemby, Mar 24, 2018
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    I prefer wireless, but gamers seem to prefer wired. Response time, I think. I keep a wired one around for backup and troubleshooting.

Second question about the snipper. A favorite here on TF and free, is Screenpresso. There's a paid version, but the freebie will do almost anything you can think of. Very easy to use and mark up the images, or edit the images. Much more automatic than snipping tool. Free, so worth a look at least.

*Arrow Screenpresso: The Ultimate Screen Capture Tool for Windows

f14tomcat, Mar 24, 2018
  7. deemby Win User
    Your advice is appreciated. Thank you

deemby, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Errant Mouse

1. Errant Mouse - Similar Threads - Errant Mouse

2. My Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Wireless Mouse L5V-00001 is not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Wireless Mouse L5V-00001 is not...: I have used the ergonomic keyboard and mouse for my laptops for years, and the new surface laptop 6 I just received doesn't seem to have wireless discovery - only blue tooth discovery options. I'd like to be able to continue to use my mouse, keyboard and number pad - all...
  3. MS Family Safety App Errant Push Notifications Received while Not in Use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Family Safety App Errant Push Notifications Received while Not in Use: As of the week of January 22, 2024 my wife and I started receiving push notifications requesting additional time for our children's accounts. These are coming in at all hours of the day midnight, 1:30am, 3:30am, 9am, etc.. These "requests" do not appear on the Notifications...
  4. MS Family Safety App Errant Push Notifications Received while Not in Use

MS Family Safety App Errant Push Notifications Received while Not in Use: As of the week of January 22, 2024 my wife and I started receiving push notifications requesting additional time for our children's accounts. These are coming in at all hours of the day midnight, 1:30am, 3:30am, 9am, etc.. These "requests" do not appear on the Notifications...
  5. Errant Boxes at top of desktop creating mess

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Errant Boxes at top of desktop creating mess: I am experiencing a phenomena where there are some boxes at the top of the screen. When I get too close to them they grow then make a mess of all my open windows. Does anyone know what this is? Antivirus doesn't notice it. SFC didn't reveal anything. My brother said that he...
  6. Errant Boxes at top of desktop creating mess

Errant Boxes at top of desktop creating mess: I am experiencing a phenomena where there are some boxes at the top of the screen. When I get too close to them they grow then make a mess of all my open windows. Does anyone know what this is? Antivirus doesn't notice it. SFC didn't reveal anything. My brother said that he...
  7. How to delete errant files in System Restore with stubborn permissions

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete errant files in System Restore with stubborn permissions: I found out today that some glitch in System Restore resulted in a almost 50GB of files that can not be deleted due to permissions. I've tried a few things I googled and so far only was able to delete part of them. What's the best way to change permissions of the files in a...
  8. Errant email address in Windows Explorer context menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Errant email address in Windows Explorer context menu: I've attached a screenshot of the problem I'm describing. When I right-click a file in Windows Explorer, then click the "Share" option, this box appears with this shaded-out email address. I need to make that email address go away. It's an address that's been previously...
  9. Errant Apps

Errant Apps: I reset my ideapad 100s, and a bunch of strange games appeared: The Secret Society - Hidden Mystery, Seekers Notes - Hidden Mystery, Asphalt 8: Airborne, and Royal Revolt 2: Tower Defense. Please let me know how I can remove them....
  10. [solved] drive/partition totally missing after errant diskpart clean

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    [solved] drive/partition totally missing after errant diskpart clean: I think like other folks who've come here, I have a relatively similar issue: I wanted to wipe a flash drive (in my case, because the 16GB drive had been formatted on mac os, so it didn't work w/ windows), went to diskpart, selected what appeared to be the small flash drive...