Windows 10: Erratic standby behaviour in spite of settings...

Discus and support Erratic standby behaviour in spite of settings... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have set my computer to go into standby after 30 minutes of inactivity (battery) or 45 minutes (power), but it is going into standby after 2 or 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Florio, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Florio Win User

Erratic standby behaviour in spite of settings...

I have set my computer to go into standby after 30 minutes of inactivity (battery) or 45 minutes (power), but it is going into standby after 2 or 3 minutes. The screensaver is set to start after 30 minutes. I think I've double-checked every possibile option.
    I recently had to create a new profile as the old one was corrupted, but I don't think this would be the cause of the problem.

:)

Florio, Dec 22, 2017

2. Erratic behaviour of smart quotes in Windows 10

I have just recently purchased a new laptop which has meant an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had already been using Office 365 on my old laptop but installing it on my new laptop also meant that some of my programs were upgraded from Office
    2013 to 2016. Among the many new "features" that I'm getting used to, my smart quotes are behaving erratically. For example, when I place quotes at the beginning of a phrase they don't appear (perhaps this is normal behaviour as it waits for its partner) but
    then when I place the closing quote at the back of the phrase it places the two quotes side-by-side (e.g., like this "") or decides that I didn't need to put quotes around the whole phrase and moves the front end quote to the last word (e.g., _the sands of
    "time") Note that this problem doesn't just manifest itself in Word or other Office products, it happens in other non-Microsoft programs. ...the irony is that the first example created itself by putting quotes around like this but it just
    took about 4 attempts to create the last example - in a post to try and fix the problem... Note also that this is an identical problem that my wife has had with her new laptop as well. It goes without saying that this was not a problem on my old computer using
    Windows 7 and its version of Office 365 software. Does anyone have a fix for this problem or a way to disable this exciting new feature?

JeffSchwisow, Dec 22, 2017
  3. petrib Win User
    N95 8G calender display on mainsite

No settings to change the behaviour (unless Nokia changes the behaviour in a firmware update). You have to live with it, or turn the whole Active standby feature off.

petrib, Dec 22, 2017
  4. roy111 Win User

It may be a very old bug (since win 7) where a mouse/keyboard wake event is not
    correctly recognized, the solution i found is to press the power button to wake the laptop (instead of mouse/keyboard) then the inactivity time shoud be honoured;
    this works for me, maybe it will work on your laptop as well

roy111, Dec 22, 2017
  5. Florio Win User
    Thanks roy111, but my problem is that the computer goes into standby almost immediately instead of after 45 (or 30) minutes of inactivity as it has been programmed to do. There is no problem waking it up from standby with the mouse or keyboard.

Florio, Dec 22, 2017
  6. roy111 Win User
    Yes, i have the same problem, wake it using the power button instead of mouse/keyboard, i'm not saying that it will
    not wake if you use mouse but it'll slep short after, just try it may work.

roy111, Dec 22, 2017
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Check the setting in all available power plans, not just the active one. I've had settings in the inactive plan cause me problems at times.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Erratic standby behaviour in spite of settings... - Similar Threads - Erratic standby behaviour

2. Microsoft’s spitefulness

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft’s spitefulness: I’m a music producer using a win10 pc. My daw’s and apps don’t work with Microsoft so I use Firefox default and no matter which expensive daw I upgrade too after a short time it stops working costing me tons of $. I had no idea that it was Microsoft that were changing my...
  3. Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour: Posted on Microsoft Community, but all I got was "update your system", "run the troubleshooter", and "run sfc". Here's my problem: Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it...
  4. Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

in Cortana
    Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour: Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it gets the job done and sometimes it does not. One example of problem: https://streamable.com/c5tlkq I turn on my laptop, press Win,...
  5. Sleeping and Hibernating with Issues and Erratic Behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleeping and Hibernating with Issues and Erratic Behaviour: All or any of the following situations can happened when I try to put my computer either in sleep or hibernate mode. The computer seldom enters and stays in sleeping or hibernate mode until I awake it; The computer enters in sleeping or hibernate, stays for from a few...
  6. Erratic, jerky mouse behaviour

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Erratic, jerky mouse behaviour: I'm using a Microsoft Windows wireless mouse with a Surface Pro. It's behaved perfectly until recently, when it suddenly has become erratic and jerky so I have difficulty in selecting icons, text, etc. I have cleaned my mouse thoroughly, replaced the batteries, powered it...
  7. Windows Spotlight - Erratic Behaviour

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Spotlight - Erratic Behaviour: Rather than add to the very long discussion threads on the subject of Windows Spotlight, I'm starting another to ask others whether they are experiencing Spotlight behaving erratically of late. Following problems some time ago with Spotlight not downloading and showing new...
  8. Wireless mouse erratic behaviour after the latest update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless mouse erratic behaviour after the latest update.: My wireless mouse is jumping the lines and goes back from its position and skips lines on its own.This is something new that I am experiencing after the latest window update on my new Dell laptop with windows 10 in built....
  9. Display shutting down in spite of "never" setting

in Windows 10 Support
    Display shutting down in spite of "never" setting: I have Windows 10 Ver. 1703 update KB4020102. It seems like the computer is shutting down the screen after about an hour of no activity. I checked my power settings (a custom one) and the setting is to never shut down the display. (When I went to look at those settings I...
  10. Delete key erratic behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete key erratic behaviour: I am embarrassed to bring this up because win 10 is such an incredible and smooth experience with all the cortona stuff and your applications getting blocked by windows for your protection. I was on a night shift all alone and i was sort of half conscious installing my apps...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. erratic shutdown of windows phone

2. screen going black in spite of setttings