Windows 10: Error 0x80070002 when starting Microsoft Passport Container Service

Discus and support Error 0x80070002 when starting Microsoft Passport Container Service in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Some backstory for this problem: For the past year or so, I've had 2 major problems with my Windows 10 PC. The first problem (which i solved by turning... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gkjr, Sep 2, 2017.

1. gkjr Win User

Error 0x80070002 when starting Microsoft Passport Container Service

Some backstory for this problem: For the past year or so, I've had 2 major problems with my Windows 10 PC. The first problem (which i solved by turning off fast startup) was that the password box and my profile picture on the login screen didn't appear when I shut down and then started the computer up. The screen would work fine if i restarted the computer. The second problem is that the user account control prompt does not pop up at all, no matter what I do. The prompts are able to pop up for about 10-30 minutes after I start the computer, but after that, they either never show up, or take hours to show up. Because the prompt doesn't appear, the entire window that the prompt was opened from freezes (for example, opening a browser that requires admin permission on the desktop causes explorer.exe to freeze). Sometimes the UAC prompt appears in the taskbar, but, when I hover over it, it shows a white screen with the prompt on it. The prompt has no "yes" button and no password box.

After the UAC prompt failed to pop up, I noticed that there was an error in the Event Viewer: "The Microsoft Passport Container service (which is NgcCtnrSvc in the service's properties) terminated with the following error: The system cannot find the file specified." I looked up this error message, and I cannot find anyone who has gotten the same error message as me. The closest to my error message that I could find was a general access denied error. After seeing the error, I restarted the computer, and the Passport Container service was enabled. UAC worked. When I disabled the service, UAC no longer worked. I tried to re-enable the service, only to get an error message saying:

"Windows could not start the Microsoft Passport Container service on Local Computer.

Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified."

So it's impossible for me to enable the NgcCtnrSvc service after it has been (somehow) disabled. Does anyone have an idea of how to get rid of this error message and problem in general?

Thank you,

Gary

:)

gkjr, Sep 2, 2017
  2. HidekiAI Win User

Cannot login to windows 10 after changing to local account

Similar issue; Interestingly, I can Remote Desktop to my Win10 machine (locally login times out, RDP succeeds). When I remote in, in the Event Viewer, it says:

The Microsoft Passport Container service terminated with the following error:

General access denied error

I've tried restarting the "Passport Container" service as describe elsewhere, but no matter what I do, it won't start

HidekiAI, Sep 2, 2017
  3. Start Up Taking upto 2hrs after update

Log Name: System

Source: Service Control Manager

Date: 11/12/2015 15:39:21

Event ID: 7023

Level: Error

Description:

The Microsoft Passport Container service terminated with the following error:

General access denied error

<EventData>

<Data Name="param1">Microsoft Passport Container</Data>

<Data Name="param2">%%2147942405</Data>

This thread offers a solution:

The Microsoft Passport Container service terminated with the following error: General access denied error - [Solved] - Windows 10

Same solution suggested here:

The Microsoft Passport Container service terminated

Download Windows 10

Gerry C J Cornell, Sep 2, 2017
Thema:

Error 0x80070002 when starting Microsoft Passport Container Service

1. Error 0x80070002 when starting Microsoft Passport Container Service - Similar Threads - Error 0x80070002 starting

2. 0x80070002 error when installing apps in the Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x80070002 error when installing apps in the Microsoft Store: Hello.I want to install an app through the Microsoft Store but everytime I try to install it, it gives me this error:I'm using windows 11 23h2 build 22631.2861...
  3. 0x80070002 error when installing apps in the Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0x80070002 error when installing apps in the Microsoft Store: Hello.I want to install an app through the Microsoft Store but everytime I try to install it, it gives me this error:I'm using windows 11 23h2 build 22631.2861...
  4. What is Microsoft Passport & Passport Container & why do they startup?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is Microsoft Passport & Passport Container & why do they startup?: I haven't concentrated on this before. But I have noticed that on Windows startup Microsoft Passport & Passport Container will always start and then after a few minutes later Microsoft Passport will stop! But Microsoft Passport Container will always stop after 7 minutes and...
  5. Can't start the Sandbox / Container Manager Services

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't start the Sandbox / Container Manager Services: Hello, I can't launch the Windows sandbox. I get an error 0x800706d9 "There is no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper". I understand that to work the sandbox needs the "Container Manager Services" service to run. However, it refuses to start. When I try to...
  6. Error 0x80070002 when updating windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error 0x80070002 when updating windows: I am currently trying to update windows, I am currently windows 10 1803 When trying to update I get error 0x80070002 see picture I have already tried DISM RestoreHealth and sfc /scannow, resetting update compenents, running the windows 10 troubleshooter Restarted PC...
  7. Error 0x80070002 when trying to update Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Error 0x80070002 when trying to update Windows: I have been having issues for months with Windows 10 updates failing due to Error 0x80070002 on my gaming laptop. The full message reads: 2019-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4503286) -Error 0x80070002. I am currently on version...
  8. Audio Service not running - troubleshooting gives error 0x80070002

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Audio Service not running - troubleshooting gives error 0x80070002: Hi, My computer wasn't starting up, it seemed to be stuck on the BIOS screen. I used the Setup to disable drives etc and finally got my windows 10 to load normally. However when it came on, I noticed the sound icon in the system tray had an x against it. "Audio Service not...
  9. error 0x80070002 when updating to version 1803

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    error 0x80070002 when updating to version 1803: Running ver.1709 and received ver.1803 but it won't update.Have tried numerous times in the last three days but no go.Keep getting an error and says retry.Tried the stand alone but says not needed.Could use some help. Thank-you,Tony 110017
  10. Microsoft Passport and Microsoft Passport for Work?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Passport and Microsoft Passport for Work?: I would like to use a feature called MS Passport or MS Passport for Work. I did some research on this feature and many articles say that you must sign up for a MS Account in order to do this. Can I create a MS Passport PIN just by using my local account instead by going...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. The Microsoft Passport Container service terminated with the following error:The system cannot find the file specified

2. Microsoft passport container service stops working with access denied