Windows 10: Error 0x8100001a - Backup/Restore (Win7)

Discus and support Error 0x8100001a - Backup/Restore (Win7) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I had to do a new reinstall of Windows 10 and received this error when trying to restore from my external backup drive. Originally the backup drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by lmmdf, Oct 15, 2017.

1. lmmdf Win User

Error 0x8100001a - Backup/Restore (Win7)

I had to do a new reinstall of Windows 10 and received this error when trying to restore from my external backup drive.

Originally the backup drive was G, but after the reinstall, it became H. I changed it back to G in Disk Management, and applied the SDUTIL with no errors (Windows 7 Backup Recovery Error 0x8100001a - Microsoft Community).

I still get this error message.

Any ideas?

:)

lmmdf, Oct 15, 2017

2. Error 0x8100001a Windows 7 Backup Recovery Using Win 10

I had to reinstall the Windows 10 operating system on my desktop. When trying to restore from the Windows 7 backup application, I received the error 0x8100001a.

Initially, the backup drive was G, but after the reinstall, it was changed to H. I went into Disk Management and changed it back to drive G and ran the

SDUTIL

I did not receive any errors to this point.

When I attempt to restore my files again, I receive the 0x8100001a error.

Any ideas?

LMacDougall, Oct 15, 2017
  3. Error 0x8100001a Windows 7 Backup Recovery Using Win 10

***UPDATE***

I appreciate the efforts so far to resolve this issue.

The 0x8100001a error was received when trying to update the most recent backup, and maybe one or two others before that.

However, when reading about manually extracting zipped files to restore the files, I noticed that the most recent backups had very few folders. So I went to the first backup (September 1) and saw about 1500 zipped folders and attempted to restore.

It was starting to restore so I thought all was well. However, the only folder restored was the AppData folder. Yet still I was able to go in and restore other folders. I did retrieve my Documents folder, and others, but only up to Sep 1.

I did notice that some subfolders were empty (images for example), but if I went and restored that subfolder, the images were restored.

At this point any attempt to restore beyond Sep 1 will get the 0x8100001a error.

Hope this helps in trying to figure this one out.

LMacDougall_622, Oct 15, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @lmmdf

Backup and restore was always temperamental. For example, a corrupt mediaID.bin file on the backup drive can cause these sorts of problems. However, the backups are stored in .zip files. With a little effort your files can be recovered.

In your linked thread a Microsoft poster referred the OP to a Microsoft support page that apparently no longer exists. Fortunately it has been archive in the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. This may help you get your files back....

http://web.archive.org/web/201204292...-from-a-backup

5. lmmdf Win User
    This is not feasible. There are about 1500 zipped files for any one backup, and there is potential for something to be screwed up if not done properly. There must be a way for me to access my backed up files. This should be simple.

lmmdf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Error 0x8100001a - Backup/Restore (Win7) - Similar Threads - Error 0x8100001a Backup

2. 0x8100001A the restore did not complete successfuly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x8100001A the restore did not complete successfuly: I am trying to restore my data, I am trying to restore my data, the problem i deleted file inside the hard disk is there a way i can make windows stop asking for this file skip ??...
  3. 0x8100001A the restore did not complete successfuly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0x8100001A the restore did not complete successfuly: I am trying to restore my data, I am trying to restore my data, the problem i deleted file inside the hard disk is there a way i can make windows stop asking for this file skip ??...
  4. Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting: Backup and Restore win7 fails during backup, says can't find the drive. Yet, it had already written much of the backup. Chkdsk found no problems on the drive. scannow fixed some system files. Still fails. There is > 1TB free on the drive.Any ideas ??thanksK...
  5. Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting: Backup and Restore win7 fails during backup, says can't find the drive. Yet, it had already written much of the backup. Chkdsk found no problems on the drive. scannow fixed some system files. Still fails. There is > 1TB free on the drive.Any ideas ??thanksK...
  6. Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows backup and restore win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows backup and restore win7: Hi, I have to restore all files from a backup to a new drive but I then realized that it also restore renamed/deleted files and folders. I can see that it make sense for someone that accidentally deleted something and want it restored but that makes the tool barely useless...
  8. Restore backup data error 0x8100001A

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore backup data error 0x8100001A: My computer was attacked by Malware. I took a backup of the data and reset my PC the OS. I ran a scan of my external hard drive which contains my backup and some threats were detected and removed. Now I'm trying to restore the data through Control Panel> System and Security >...
  9. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) - What has Win7 got to do with it?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7) - What has Win7 got to do with it?: Why is Windows 7 present in parentheses? Presumably Notepad is the same as it was in Windows 7 but it's not called "Notepad (Windows 7)". 95371
  10. Backup and Restore Error

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Error: Just bought a new Windows 10, Office 2016, Ultra HD Lenovo computer. Already having issues, surprise surprise! Not only are there scaling/blurry issues with some apps, but Windows Backup and Restore is displaying the following error: The semaphore timeout period has...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0x8100001A backup failed

2. erreur 0x8100001A