Windows 10: Error 0xc0000225 but then booted eventually

Discus and support Error 0xc0000225 but then booted eventually in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday i had a notification appear in the Action Centre saying "Security and Maintenance Restart to Repair drive Errors". So i restarted but all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gbu, Dec 14, 2016.

1. GBU
    gbu Win User

Error 0xc0000225 but then booted eventually

Yesterday i had a notification appear in the Action Centre saying
    "Security and Maintenance Restart to Repair drive Errors".
    So i restarted but all i kept getting was a Recovery screen saying 'Your Pc couldn't start properly a required device isn't connected or cant be accessed.
    error code 0xc0000225

I restarted several times disconnecting all peripheralsbut the same message appeared until eventually i did manage to get back on.

Now this message has appeared once more in Action Centre and i dont really want to restart the PC in case the same thing happens again.

This happened out of nowhere with no new software or hardware installed and no changes to my Pc.What has occurred to me is i have no media with anything to repair Win 10 on as this was a Win 7 PC with the free Win10 clean install upgrade.

So i guess should really get some kind of back up media to repair/install if the worst happens and i cant get my PC to boot up at all.

What are my options?
    Complete fresh install or repair etc

I have backed everything up so if a fresh install is needed i can do that but maybe a reset or repair?

:)

2. Pulll Win User

Windows 10 first time installation fails USB 0xc0000225

Trying to install Windows 10 on my new PC. Eventually leads to this message: Screenshot - d0f3aa9206dacb5d19c5a61865412c62 - Gyazo (status:
    0xc0000225). As it is my first boot I can't access the repair tool. Any ideas?

Pulll, Dec 14, 2016
  3. Error code 0xc0000225

Pc

windows 10

it is happening at the boot

error code 0xc0000225

Brucebruce013, Dec 14, 2016
  4. Error 0xc0000225 but then booted eventually

Lots of options.

First if you download and install Macrium Reflect you can make an Image of your device. Free to home users and recommended on this forum. Then if you have a disaster you can recover quickly with a known working OS.

Windows 10 has a tool to create a Recovery Drive. Type recovery drive in the Cortana search bar and "Create Recovery Drive" should appear at top. Start it. If you don't have a USB key installed the process will start, and it could take a little time, but it will tell you what size key you need. Most need 8GB

You can also get ISO or create media, 4GB usb key required on Win 10 machine, for the most recent version here... https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

The is also a very good tool at the top of the Software and Apps section of the forum.

I don't like error messages with references to drive errors. Have you run chkdsk /r c: from a elevated command prompt. You can also initiate through "Properties" of your c: drive. You said you disconnected all drives, I would reseat each cable end and remove and install drives in connectors. Your system likely supports hot swapping, I would power down. You didn't mention any Raids, I always get concerned unplugging them. Not sure what I did several years ago but had to rebuild my Raid.

Caledon Ken, Dec 14, 2016
  5. GBU
    gbu Win User
    Thx for this
    Unfortunately my PC just restarted and I can't get pass the error code now like I did before.
    What's my options now as I didn't have the time to download any recovery tools?
    I have access to a laptop and a USB can I do anything on that to create recovery or repair tool?

6. If you have the same message I would do the reseating of cables both ends and reseat OS drive at a minimum.

Post back results.

Caledon Ken, Dec 15, 2016
  7. GBU
    gbu Win User
    Did all that and only have the master drive with OS connected but same screen keeps coming back.
    Currently downloading win10 on USB on the laptop but not sure the best course of action to do after that?

8. Error 0xc0000225 but then booted eventually

Boot to a command prompt and run chkdsk on it to see what it reports. You can scan and attempt fix or just scan.

Going on a long shot here.

If you are not using any raids, data or os, how about switching the port drive is plugged into on MB, changing the cable and changing the drives position if your case uses a back plane to plug drives into.

9. GBU
    gbu Win User
    How do I boot to command prompt?
    It just restarts onto that error code each time?

10. Place your media into the computer. I created key using MS process on Windows 10 page. Change boot order to boot from your media dvd, usb. It starts the boot. It asks you about language, looks like an install. Click next. Right in center of page it says Install but down and to left it says Repair. Click on repair. Click on trouble shoot. Click on command prompt.

Did you try different cable, port?

Any other members think of better options to this error message please jump in.

11. GBU
    gbu Win User
    I tried the diff cable ports but no joy.

With the USB now created I ran chkdsk but it gets to 83% then stops and does nothing else, been maybe 20 mins stuck on 83% now.

I tried the repair and after 15 minutes i got a message saying
    we are having trouble determining if your Pc can run Win10 please close setup and try again

Everything is backed up so im thinking just go ahead and try rest and do a clean install?

Is using the reset function and wiping everything the same as doing a fresh clean install?

12. Interesting. I seen chkdsk run long but progresses. When you ran did you run with scan and attempt fix. The /f switch. Articles say this process can run hours and usually completes.

If it were me I would not use that disk (hdd / ssd). It may repair and load but trouble will follow you and you will never know when it will appear.

So you can let chkdsk run overnight and hope you can boot. Then quick clone and see if it boots. I think I would move to clean install now. Maybe let chkdsk on the old drive run its merry ways on your clean OS and keep it for reference or possible file / key (license) extraction.

Wish I had better answer but where I worked we said there are two types of storage devices, ones that have failed and ones that are going to fail. Back up and Image regularly.

Good luck.

13. GBU
    gbu Win User

Many thanks for you time and help I think I'll do a clean install now and se about getting a new drive or put OS on one of my others.

Last thing...
    Is a reset with option to wipe everything the same as a clean install?

14. Yes as I understand it. That said I usually boot the media, then pick install and click custom. If I have had issue I delete the old partitions, usually two, one reserved and one that OS was on. Then initialize space into one partition and proceed with install. Windows will tell you it will install and create some partitions. I agree and it proceeds.

I think we discussed, been a few threads today, that let Windows update itself. You handle timing and decision on drivers.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Error 0xc0000225 but then booted eventually - Similar Threads - Error 0xc0000225 booted

2. Unable to boot , error 0xc0000225

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to boot , error 0xc0000225: I Hope you are doing well.Can you please help me with this issue. No boot as hard disk drive not found. Is it damaged I run diagnosis and also changed settings from Legacy to UEFI and vice versa but still nothing. Please help.Thank you.[Original Title: Recovery]...
  3. Error 0xc0000225

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error 0xc0000225: My laptop wont start and has the Error 0xc0000225 and I am unable to go into safe mode meaning my only other option is to get a disk/USB with a recovery tool. However, I dont have a USB/disc or a functioning computer to download the tool onto. Any suggestions would be helpful...
  4. Boot Loop 0xC0000225

Boot Loop 0xC0000225: Woke up turned my computer on and it won't boot and gives this error. I tried fixing the boot files and bcd and all the standard things and the only thing that fixed it was a clean install of windows 10 version 1909. I did nothing to cause this the computer was shut down...
  5. Error 0xc0000225

Error 0xc0000225: So whenever i try to reset my pc, by using shift restart. I always get an error saying i need to repair my pc befor ei can do this. Ive looked up viedos on how to fix it but most of them say use command prompt but i cant open anythibg using shift restart. Of anyone has info...
  6. Windows 10 boot error 0xc0000225.

Windows 10 boot error 0xc0000225.: Recently I was trying to install another boot system on my Windows 10 volume system with a tool to install a dual boot system without a CD/DVD or USB, but after I've failed I have opened my Windows 10 volume system and there was too many files, and there was a "Unstaill.exe"...
  7. Error 0xc0000225

Error 0xc0000225: Since downloading Windows 10 onto my Gateway PC I have problems not only with the above error but also having restart freezes every time I use it. Could some let me know how I go about fixing them. I have gone through the computer looking for answers and tried some of them...
  8. Can’t Boot. Error 0xc0000225 and 0xc0000000f

Can’t Boot. Error 0xc0000225 and 0xc0000000f: So I was suffering from the 1903 Windows Update issue and that Intel RST Driver issue and I couldnt install the new driver for some reason. Googled for solutions and these sites kept telling me to go to system 32 and change “iastora.sys” to “iastora.old”. In hindsight that...
  9. Error 0xc0000225

Error 0xc0000225: Hello. My computer is a 2-year old HP Pavilion x360 running Windows 10. My computer has been down for the count for around two weeks and fortunately, I haven't needed to boot up my computer as I have recently finished school. When it went to rest, I could not "wake" it by...
  10. Boot configuration data error 0xc0000225

Boot configuration data error 0xc0000225: After my computer updated, I cannot access Windows anymore. It boots up, then loads in with a black screen with the Windows Boot Manager telling me that Windows failed to start, File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Bcd , Status: 0xc0000225 , Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC...
Tags: