Windows 10: ERROR 1068: Cannot start Firewall service

Discus and support ERROR 1068: Cannot start Firewall service in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After running windows in safe mode to test something my firewall stopped working. I need some help since i could not find anything related to this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xxicentury, Jan 24, 2016.

1. ERROR 1068: Cannot start Firewall service

After running windows in safe mode to test something my firewall stopped working. I need some help since i could not find anything related to this issue on Win10. When i try to initialize windows Firewall service i get the message error 1068 and when i try to run it through Control Painel i get another message error with the code 0x8007042c.
    Anyone know what can be causing that? If you need, i can provide more information about the issue. Btw there is aN event log saved on my pc everytime i start windows (ID 7001)

i also cannot run SFC /scannow anymore.. this is getting annoying.

:)

xxicentury, Jan 24, 2016

2. Issues after Windows 10 1607 update - Firewall, Cortana, Search Bar, App Store Updates

My computer applied an update to 1607 (KB3194496) and now the firewall service cannot be started, when I click on the search bar nothing happens (not even a cursor), Cortana won't launch via the mic icon on the search bar, and I get a message that some apps
    cannot update in the app store. Initially also the internet wouldn't connect, but I solved that issue.

When I try to turn on the firewall I get an 0x8007042c error.

And when I go to services and try to start the firewall service I get "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

I've tried so many things suggested by searches for both 0x8007042c and 1068.

One post says the Base Filtering Engine service is important for the firewall. When I try to start it I get "Error 5: Access is denied"

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

lunaincognita, Jan 24, 2016
  3. C.R.Akita Win User
    Windows version 1703 build 15063.296: firewall stopped

I ran repair.bat per the link you provided. Then tried to start the service; no luck. checked the cng key service; it is running. When I try to start the firewall, I get error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start.

Noticed that the BFE is stopped. Can't start it: "Error 5: Access is denied"

ran the scan tool prior to all of the above

C.R.Akita, Jan 24, 2016
  4. j0rdanb Win User

ERROR 1068: Cannot start Firewall service

The firewall service could be turned off/stopped - check this by searching for 'services' in the search bar. If the Windows firewall service is stopped, try and start it or if it is already running, try restarting it.

j0rdanb, Jan 24, 2016
  5. i found out from event viewer log 7001 that the issue was related to BFE Service (Basic filtering engine) i had to download a fix to BFE registry and another one for Windows Firewall. After running both, i was able start BFE Service and Firewall service. Now my Firewall is working, as well many other services that depend on Basic Filtering Engine.

xxicentury, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

ERROR 1068: Cannot start Firewall service

1. ERROR 1068: Cannot start Firewall service - Similar Threads - ERROR 1068 Cannot

2. windows could not start the windows defender firewall service on local computer. error:1068

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows could not start the windows defender firewall service on local computer. error:1068: when press start button on windows defender firewall in services it says error 1068:the dependency service or group failed to start https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-could-not-start-the-windows-defender/f95716b9-bfec-4ab1-9301-f895b85608ad
  3. windows could not start the windows defender firewall service on local computer. error:1068

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows could not start the windows defender firewall service on local computer. error:1068: when press start button on windows defender firewall in services it says error 1068:the dependency service or group failed to start https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-could-not-start-the-windows-defender/f95716b9-bfec-4ab1-9301-f895b85608ad
  4. windows could not start the windows defender firewall service on local computer. error:1068

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Error: 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error: 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.: Hello there, I have recently been having issues with no list of available networks showing up and my internet settings closing right after after being opened sometimes it doesn't even open at all and just crashes my settings. Moving on, I opened services,msc to check if I had...
  6. Error: 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error: 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.: Hello there, I have recently been having issues with no list of available networks showing up and my internet settings closing right after after being opened sometimes it doesn't even open at all and just crashes my settings. Moving on, I opened services,msc to check if I had...
  7. Error: 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Workstation service not starting 1068 error

Workstation service not starting 1068 error: Hello, After I updated Windows 10 Ver 2004, I lost my network drives. While I tried to find solutions, I found out that workstation service was not working 1068 error. I read and tried a couple of solutions described here and there, but nothing worked out. I'm considering...
  9. Security Center Services Cannot Be Started - Error 1068

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security Center Services Cannot Be Started - Error 1068: Hi, I am getting the "Security Center Can't Be Started" message on booting in the Action Center. I ran the following scans and removed all PUPs, spywares, etc. - ESET online, Kaspersky AV, Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware, Hitman Pro, Spybot, Roguekiller, Adware Removal...
  10. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start: I have an Samsung 850 EVO installed, it lets Windows do the optimization. In doing so the indexing service was disabled. But now I can't get the Streaming service to start. I get the 1068 error when trying to start it. 80118

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 defender firewall error 1068

2. windows firewall 1068

3. error 1068 workstation service failed windows 10 eset

4. windows firewall error 1068,
  5. windows firewall wont turn on windows 10 error 1068,
  6. win 10 firewall error 1068,
  7. windows defender error 1068,
  8. windows defender firewall service error 1068,
  9. error 1068 windows defender firewall,
  10. The Windows Defender Firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error Access is denied,
  11. windows firewall service is not started 0x8007042c