Windows 10: Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive

Discus and support Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was replacing My son' old computer and I decided to remove the HD and put it into my case for extra storage/back-up. When I start or restart the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by zbrufan813, May 20, 2017.

1. Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive

I was replacing My son' old computer and I decided to remove the HD and put it into my case for extra storage/back-up. When I start or restart the computer I get a screen I have never seen before on this computer. It is the American Maegtrends bios screen I believe. I've seen similar on older computers but haven't in quite a while. Down toward the bottom, it has an error saying Smart status bad, backup or replace, hit f-1 to enter setup. I believe it is doing this because it is trying to load off the 2nd drive but don't understand why it doesn't revert to the 1st drive. Then I go into the boot options then boot priority and disabled all except the correct internal drive. All my external drives were showing in the list as well. Again I get the same screen when I restart. I am able to go into the boot menu and select the correct drive and windows loads.
    I went into disk management The 2nd drive was showing as active/primary partition. Oddly the C drive (the correct drive) was also showing as active/primary partition. I formatted the 2nd drive (both quick and regular format) and still get the same error on restart. I deleted the partition and created a new and still no help. Even after creating the new partition it was still showing active/primary. I looked for help online and the most popular fix was to open the command prompt and run DISKPART and typing a few commands. After doing this it no longer says active, but it still says primary. The correct drive also says primary but not active. When I right click it to try and make it active the "mark partition as active" is grayed out and I cannot select it. The 2nd drive is working as I can add files or folders to it. I am kind of at a loss her on what to do next.
    Extra info just in case. The computer is an ASUS CM6730 running Win 10 64 bit. The correct drive is a Western Digital WDC10EZEX-22RKKA0. The 2nd drive is a Samsung HD753LJ. Both drives are SATA. There are 6 SATA ports on the MB. 2 SATA 6G at the bottom (the Correct C drive is plugged into the right) Just above those is t more SATA 6G the DVD drive is plugged into the left. Then there are 2 SATA 3G above that those were both empty. I have tried plugging the 2nd drive into all 4 of the unused ports hoping, all be it unsuccessfully, that would make a difference.
    The 4 images in the attachments are the drive info for the 2 internal drives obtained through Speccy. Samsung 1 + 2 is the 2nd drive I am adding and WD 1 + 2 is the original internal drive.

:)

zbrufan813, May 20, 2017

2. Can not access or even see E drive

Disk 2 is a removable drive and disk 3 is an external hard drive. My 2nd internal hard drive is not showing. I am hearing clicking/spinning noises from the computer. Thought it was a fan going bad, could it be the missing drive?

DSamuelson115kg, May 20, 2017
  3. Installed Windows 10. 2nd Internal hard drive not showing up.

please do it

Pattyflourish live.com, May 20, 2017
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive

Newer systems with UEFI BIOS and hard disks formatted GPT do not use the legacy "Active" partition method for starting Windows. They use the Windows Boot Manager instead. So on your "correct drive" the C partition will not and should not be marked active.

If there is no data on the new (old) hard drive from your son's PC that you need to keep or have not backed up then you could try wiping the hard drive clean. This will also erase any partition flags that ,may be causing your problem.

To do this you can use Diskpart. The commands to type are:
    • List Disk > Enter
    (Review the disks to determine which disk is the one you want to erase. Be sure!! Note that disks number.)
    • select disk # > Enter (where # is the number you KNOW is the correct hard drive)
    • clean all > Enter (this starts the wiping process. This can take some time on a large disk. Go make dinner)

After this you will have a blank, unallocated, unformatted hard drive. When you start the system with this hard disk also attached it should go right into Windows (from "correct disk"). You can then use Disk Management to initialize and Format the drive, plus create any partitions.

If you have the same problem with the wiped disk then there is a hardware problem going on. Post back.

5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive [​IMG]

How old is the hard drive from your son's computer?

6. I'm not sure of the age of the drive from my son's computer. If I had to guess I'd say probably about 5 years. I have tried deleting the partition and creating a new and reformatting. I'm guessing this is not the same as using clean all command. I will try the clean all command and report results. Thx for the suggestion

zbrufan813, May 20, 2017
  7. I did the clean all as suggested. By the way, I had dinner dessert, and a few cocktails before it finished. Well, maybe it was finished by the first but I decided to have 2 more. LOL After it finished I created a new partition and formatted it the regular format not the quick. After formatting, both are showing up as primary partition again. Restarted and it still tries to boot from the empty drive even though the main drive is the only one in the boot order options. 1 thing I noticed is the 2nd drive is showing as Disk 0 and the original is Disk 1. Somewhere along the line, I thought I remember hearing someone say that the main bootable drive should be Disk 0. If so would that make a difference and if yes how do I change that. I know back in the old days there used to be jumpers to set as primary/secondary and master/slave etc... But now with the new SATA drives, I thought that was done with.

zbrufan813, May 21, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

There are no jumpers like in olden days of PATA/IDE drives to make them slave or master or disk 0 or 1, all's done in BIOS with SATA drives. Only way to make a disk 0 or 1 or..... is to connect it to first SATA port on the MB. Not much benefits of it being first disk, maybe a second or two during BIOS POST because it looks at it first and in case you have to reset BIOS it would default to it as first BOOT device without any intervention.

CountMike, May 21, 2017
  9. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    There is no issue with the partitions being Primary. New systems with GPT formatted disks only use Primary partitions.

And with modern SATA controllers there is no benefit to the order the disks are listed. When the system starts it is looking for the Windows Boot Manager on any drive connected to the PC. This is nearly instantaneous even if you had 6 disks connected.
    In addition, the number that Windows assigns to a hard disk does not necessarily correspond to what SATA connector that drive is connected to.

So both are red herrings. We need to look at other possibilities.

10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    When you initialized the old drive after the clean all, did you choose MBR or GPT?

11. CountMike New Member
    It's "Looking for" that can take few seconds at most but it's there unless it's on disk 0.

CountMike, May 21, 2017
  12. clam1952 Win User
    The problem disk maybe has a boot sector? I had that issue reusing a disk I had been using for Linux so initially just removed it from the boot order list in the bios.

clam1952, May 21, 2017
  13. TV2
    TV2 Win User

It is my understanding that the controller can poll 6 hard drives in milliseconds, unless there is a problem like our OP clearly has.

14. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    The Clean All procedure should have cleared any of these kinds of issues.

15. TV2
    TV2 Win User
Thema:

1. Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive - Similar Threads - Error adding 2nd

2. Internal hard drive recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internal hard drive recovery: I have two hard drives. The normal C: drive and an E: drive that I use for data only. Microsoft destroyed that drive while I was trying to create a USB recovery drive. My Backup and Restore shows multiple E: backups with a single folder and a Desktop.ini file. Nothing else....
  3. removing internal hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    removing internal hard drive: so i wanted to check something while i have no hdd and i want to remove my wd blue hard drive but i don't know if it's safe to start pc after unplugging hdd or not and my windows 10 is installed on my ssd so what should i do?...
  4. 2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update: hi, recently updated windows with an update it was showing as needed- now the 2nd hard drive i have installed is showing read only and i can't save anything to it. in properties its showing read/write correctly for all users. but disk mgmt shows the drive as read only...
  5. Bitlock adding 2nd drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlock adding 2nd drive: Hello, I have a laptop which is bit locked. I do not have the bit locker key or password, but I have a 6 digit PIN. I can start the laptop successfully with the pin and login to Windows 10. If I add a 2nd internal hard drive, which is say already formatted to FAT32, or...
  6. Internal Hard Drive Problem

Internal Hard Drive Problem: Hello, I am using ASUS X560UD with an internal hard drive. And sometimes when my battery is low about 30% the hard drive suddenly disconnects and it also happen randomly with a lot battery. Anyone have the solution? I have made the power plan to never disable hard drive and...
  7. Missing internal hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing internal hard drive: 1. I had my computer upgrade with my assure plan in the Microsoft store. We replaced the primary drive with a SSD hard drive and used the original internal 1 TB HD as the data drive. Recently my computer went through a windows 10 update and I lot the internal HD in my disk...
  8. Internal Hard Drive

Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...
  9. Adding 2nd hard drive to Optiplex 755

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding 2nd hard drive to Optiplex 755: I installed a 2nd hard drive, was expecting a separate drive, but it just added it's volume to the first drive. Would like to use it as a 2nd drive for back-up purposes. Windows 10,...
  10. Newly installed 2nd internal hard drive causes boot failure

in Windows 10 Support
    Newly installed 2nd internal hard drive causes boot failure: I am running Win 10 64 bit, version 1803. I have just added a second internal drive to my system. It displays in Admin as Drive E 298.08 Gb, NTFS healthy, page file, active, primary partition, layout simple, type basic). With the second drive E: installed my boot drive C:...