Windows 10: Error code 0x80073CF9 when installing apps from the Windows Store

Discus and support Error code 0x80073CF9 when installing apps from the Windows Store in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm receiving the following error when trying to install apps from the Windows Store on Windows 10. It doesn't occur with every program, which makes it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by rassilon, Oct 7, 2016.

1. rassilon Win User

Error code 0x80073CF9 when installing apps from the Windows Store

I'm receiving the following error when trying to install apps from the Windows Store on Windows 10. It doesn't occur with every program, which makes it extremely frustrating to debug. The Event Viewer is no help, as it provides the same cryptic messages:

• Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070490: Gears of War 4.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073CF9: Gears of War 4.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073CF9: Carcassonne.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070490: Candy Crush Saga.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073CF9: Candy Crush Saga.

I've Googled this error and searched TenForums but found nothing to help. SFC /SCANNOW reports no errors, re-registering the Windows Store app does nothing, disabling BitDefender does nothing. Is any real help available, or do I have to file a scam report with PayPal since Microsoft is incapable of managing a simple software download?

:)

rassilon, Oct 7, 2016
  2. SAM-1 Win User
    SAM-1, Oct 7, 2016
  3. Jose Est Win User
    Jose Est, Oct 7, 2016
  4. rassilon Win User

Also tried DISM, but as you can see below, there were no problems.

Code: Windows PowerShellCopyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.14393.0 Image Version: 10.0.14393.0 [==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected. The operation completed successfully. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.14393.0 Image Version: 10.0.14393.0 [==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote]

rassilon, Oct 7, 2016
  5. See if this link helps you
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/error-...t-be-installed

Or these links
    error 0x80073CF9 - Bing

hTconeM9user, Oct 7, 2016
  6. rassilon Win User
    Useless, I fear. As I said, I already ran SFC, and there is no registry entry called OLE. Whomever wrote that article is either making things up, or using a non-English version of Windows 10. Nor did renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder accomplish anything.

rassilon, Oct 7, 2016
  7. Retoocs Win User
    Same thing... I'm getting these errors with Viber. Other apps are installing normally. Viber has been installed on my W10 tablet before. Today I'm trying to install it again but getting these errors...

Retoocs, Oct 7, 2016
  8. rassilon Win User

I tried some of the offending apps on my other Windows 10 PC and had no problems. I can't check Gears of War 4, since it's an 80 Gb download, and that machine is too old to run it. For what it's worth, I successfully installed Gears of War 4 once, but it was on the wrong drive. These errors started appearing after I switched my default Apps drive to D:

Reverting to C: does not help, nor is that an option. As with many users, it's a small SSD, not suitable for housing an 80 Gb game.

rassilon, Oct 7, 2016
  9. Retoocs Win User
    OK.... Finally fixed my issue *Biggrin

I have fixed my issue by uninstalling Windows Store app (with tool 10AppsManager) and installing it again vie elevated PowerShell ( Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* ).

Retoocs, Oct 7, 2016
  10. rassilon Win User
    Thank you for that tip! Please note that Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* doesn't actually install anything. AFAIK, it doesn't even do anything as there was no acknowledgement to that command. I was able to reinstall the store with 10AppsManager, and Carcassonne installed normally. Now to see if the 2-hour Gears of War 4 download completes this time ...

rassilon, Oct 8, 2016
  11. Retoocs Win User
    Hm... 10AppsManager was giving me an (.net) error when I try to reinstall with him. I've find that command on some web page. After entering into PowerShell I've got Windows Store icon on the start menu. PowerShell wasn't gave me any error after entering that command. Maybe in between 10AppsManager was installed Windows Store, but funny thing, it didn't install other uninstalled stock apps...
    Reinstalling Windows Store definitely helps, just in my case I don't know how is installed if you say that this command doesn't install anything.

Retoocs, Oct 8, 2016
  12. rassilon Win User
    Quick follow-up. After reinstalling the Windows Store (thank you, Retoocs!) I was able to download Gears of War 4. It doesn't run yet, since Microsoft treated my dispute as a refund and removed access, despite not actually refunding the money. But that is a matter for the lawyers.

rassilon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Error code 0x80073CF9 when installing apps from the Windows Store - Similar Threads - Error code 0x80073CF9

2. Error code 0x80073CF9 in Windows Store.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Error code 0x80073CF9 in Windows Store.: Hi, I keep getting this error code every time I try to update or download an application. The download starts, but after a few moments, the error 0x80073CF9 appears Tried resetting Windows Store with wsreset.exe, but nothing worked. The same error always appears. Windows...
  3. Error code 0x80073CF9 in Windows Store.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error code 0x80073CF9 in Windows Store.: Hi, I keep getting this error code every time I try to update or download an application. The download starts, but after a few moments, the error 0x80073CF9 appears Tried resetting Windows Store with wsreset.exe, but nothing worked. The same error always appears. Windows...
  4. Error code 0x80073CF9 in Windows Store.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Store Code : 0x80073CF9

Windows Store Code : 0x80073CF9: Hello, I keep getting this error code whenever I try to update or download an app. The download start, but after a few moment, the error 0x80073CF9 appears I tried to reset Windows store with wsreset.exe, reinstall Windows Store, repair Windows 10 but nothing worked....
  6. Microsoft Store error code: 0x80073CF9

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Store error code: 0x80073CF9: Recently I've formatted my HDD drive which was used only for games and storage. I didn't format my system SSD drive. Now I can't install any game that was installed on HDD drive before format. Every other game is downloading and instaling just fine. Things I've tried:...
  7. Microsoft Store error code: 0x80073CF9

Microsoft Store error code: 0x80073CF9: Recently I've formatted my HDD drive which was used only for games and storage. I didn't format my system SSD drive. Now I can't install any game that was installed on this drive before. Every other game is downloading and instaling just fine. Things I've tried: creating...
  8. Unable to install apps from Windows store: error 0x80073CF9

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to install apps from Windows store: error 0x80073CF9: I am an unable to install and apps from the Windows store and continue to get the error 0x80073CF9. I have tried a number of things to fix this issue. I do not have the OLE folder when in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft" in Regedit so I cannot delete it. I have...
  9. 0x80073cf9 Microsoft Store error code.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x80073cf9 Microsoft Store error code.: So. All I want to do is download some games off the store. And so, just before the new year, everything was working and I could. Now, the **** broken store just gives me 0x80073CF9 on every game I download. Yes, I've tried all your copy-pasted fixes. None worked....
  10. Cant Download From Windows Store Code: 0x80073CF9

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant Download From Windows Store Code: 0x80073CF9: When trying to download from windows store it comes up with Error then a message Saying "Reporting this problem will help us understand it better. You can wait for a while and try again or restart your device. That may help. Code: 0x80073CF9" iv tried all things from...
Tags: