Windows 10: Error connecting to some of the programs

Discus and support Error connecting to some of the programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i just updated to Windows 10 and now my firefox, utorrent, filezilla and a few other programs have stopped working because of some port issue.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shounak, Nov 1, 2015.

1. shounak Win User

Error connecting to some of the programs

i just updated to Windows 10 and now my firefox, utorrent, filezilla and a few other programs have stopped working because of some port issue.

firefox does nothing.

utorrent says "Listen error".

filezilla says

Status: Connecting to 65.99.237.52:21...Status: Connection attempt failed with "10107".
    Error: Could not connect to server

another program i use says "No interent connection or firewall is blocking MM Agent".

i tried to add these programs and port numbers to windows firewall settings but that didnt do anything. then i tried to disablethe windows defender and firewall using "services.msc" but still nothing.

i have also tried by disabling my antivirus(bitdefender)

Google isnt helping much with this. any help will be highly appreciated.

:)

shounak, Nov 1, 2015

2. some of the programs I run won't work with it unless I update to Internet Explorer 11. Now I need to update to Microsoft Silverlight 5

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To better assist you, please answer the following questions:

1. What exactly are the programs that you are referring to?

2. Are you unable to access the programs using Microsoft edge?

If you have not tried downloading Microsoft Silverlight 5, click the link below to download and check if it helps.

Get Silverlight 5

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Nov 1, 2015
  3. some of the programs I run won't work with it unless I update to Internet Explorer 11. Now I need to update to Microsoft Silverlight 5

My computer updated to Windows 10 on it's own and some of the programs I run won't work with it unless I update to Internet Explorer 11. Now I need to update to Microsoft Silverlight 5 to be compatible. I'm having trouble getting to Silverlight 5.
    Anyone has a suggestion.

Original Title : silverlight5

DarMARCOTTE, Nov 1, 2015
  4. Error connecting to some of the programs

Hi one question why are you using two antiviruses if you have bitedefender you don't need windows defender as they are clashing.
    I know bitedefender and I would turn off the windows one.
    Then reboot and see if it all comes in now

hTconeM9user, Nov 1, 2015
  5. shounak Win User
    thanks for the reply. already tried uninstalling bitdefender. still no go.

shounak, Nov 1, 2015
  6. hTconeM9user, Nov 1, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    The first sentence told shounak to shutdown Windows defender and keep Bitdefender.
    The 2nd sentence told shounak to uninstall bitdefender.

Which one do you want shounak to follow?

davidhk, Nov 1, 2015
  8. shounak Win User

i have tried both.

now i dont have any antivirus or firewall. still cannot connect to anything.

shounak, Nov 1, 2015
  9. davidhk Win User
    Suggest that you run the Reset option.
    Left click at Start...... click Settings on the left side......click Update & Recovery ..... click Recovery on the left side..... click Reset this PC.

davidhk, Nov 1, 2015
  10. Then reinstall bite defender and restart and see if it come in now after doing the reset
    make sure you only have one antivirus operating

11. davidhk Win User
    Do not disable both. Keep one and disable the other one.

davidhk, Nov 1, 2015
  12. Yes bite defender is a lot better than windows defender I have used it and still a member on their forum that is where I got the link from.
    Once my McAfee runs out I will go back to bite defender

13. davidhk Win User

To shounad,
    My recommendation is forget all about 3rd party security programs.
    If your computer is a home computer ( not for business ), all you need is Windows Defender as your Real-time Protection, and install free edition of Malwarebytes as your On-demand protection.
    Real-time Protection means the program starts working the moment you turn on the computer.
    On-demand Protection means it does not run until you manually turn it on.

That is the setup I use for 2 years since Windows 8/8.1. Never any security issues.
    All I have to do is, regularly, say once a week, turn on Malwarebytes and run a scan to make sure the computer is clean.
    Malwarebytes is one of the best, if not the best, in the business.
    Windows Defender can hold its own.

Malwarebytes download link : select the free edition.
    Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, & Anti-Malware Software

davidhk, Nov 1, 2015
  14. shounak Win User
    installed it again. still nothing.

is there anyway to enable ports?

shounak, Nov 1, 2015
  15. Well my McAfee comes in straight away
    Also when I was using bite defender used to come in straight away
    So you are saying then that everyone who uses a 3rd party security app is wrong then.
    When I was testing windows 7 I used windows defender and had more trouble and so did others with it.
    With McAfee or bite defender I don't get any trouble and it scans all the time and keeps my laptop running as good as gold.
    I had to do my friends laptop last week who is on windows 7 and it crashed.
    Found out Windows defender let lots of bugs through and made his laptop useless.
    Downloaded free Avast and it sorted it all out and got it up and running in fact faster now than it was when he brought it

So each to their own all I am trying to let the OP know you cannot run 2 Antiviruses together he has to lose one of them.

Thema:

1. Error connecting to some of the programs - Similar Threads - Error connecting programs

2. Some programs can't connect to internet, troubleshooter errors, can't download program...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some programs can't connect to internet, troubleshooter errors, can't download program...: So this started a few days ago when I opened up Google Chrome and realised none of the tabs were connecting to the internet, while Firefox was and still is working just fine. I've looked through many answers given for similar issues on many different sites and I'm starting to...
  3. Some programs can't connect to internet, troubleshooter errors, can't download program...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some programs can't connect to internet, troubleshooter errors, can't download program...: So this started a few days ago when I opened up Google Chrome and realised none of the tabs were connecting to the internet, while Firefox was and still is working just fine. I've looked through many answers given for similar issues on many different sites and I'm starting to...
  4. Some programs can't connect to internet, troubleshooter errors, can't download program...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.: This issue is driving me up the wall.A number of unrelated programs on my PC have little or no internet connectivity, while others are absolutely fine.- This issue seems to have appeared out of nowhere, I haven't changed any settings recently on my PC.- My browsers, Chrome...
  6. Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.: This issue is driving me up the wall.A number of unrelated programs on my PC have little or no internet connectivity, while others are absolutely fine.- This issue seems to have appeared out of nowhere, I haven't changed any settings recently on my PC.- My browsers, Chrome...
  7. Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Error installing some programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error installing some programs: While im trying to install some programs Epic games launcher the message 'the process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file' keeps showing. Is there any way to fix this. I have installed it before on my laptop but sone error occured...
  9. Some programs cant connect to internet connection

Some programs cant connect to internet connection: Miscosoft store, epic games launcher, valorant and dead by daylight cant connect to internet. In microsoft store everything is loading slower than before but when I try to buy or download something it says connection problem, error 0x800704cf . In valorant it was error 21 and...
  10. Internet is connected but some programs denied

Internet is connected but some programs denied: Steam (steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again). The McAfee program also cannot run after download as there is an internet connection problem. I also have same problem with garena plus. Besides, I am unable to download...