Windows 10: Error in DVD player

Discus and support Error in DVD player in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I was watching a DVD and paused to get up to drink some water. I come back and see this: [img] *Huh *Eek *Confused *Confused This is utter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by allam447635, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Error in DVD player

So I was watching a DVD and paused to get up to drink some water. I come back and see this:

Error in DVD player [​IMG]

*Huh *Eek *Confused *Confused

This is utter nonsense as far as I am concerned. Someone on this forum has to know what it means because I have no idea. After all, no one should need a Ph.D. in computer science to know why something isn't working. Also, this is my first time watching a DVD since the Windows 10 Creator Update which caused some problems with other things utilizing the display drivers. No problems before so-called upgrade.

:)

allam447635, Sep 8, 2017
  2. spingyman Win User

error while playing any DVD in DVD player app

I purchase the window DVD player from Microsoft store it wont play any dvd i get a error 0xc00d36c4.

Original title: window DVD player

spingyman, Sep 8, 2017
  3. PRB49 Win User
    "Error: video cannot be decoded" while playing DVD media in Windows DVD player.

Original title : Windows 10 DVD player issue

player says "Error: video cannot be decoded" on all DVD's that I try.

PRB49, Sep 8, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Error in DVD player

These are only my ideas & thoughts. They may be inconvenient, but see if they may help:

• I would probably watch that DVD video off YouTube, if you can find it there... if it's a commercially released video, not a personal video.
    • Think about using free software to convert your DVD movies to video files to save on your computer, which should always work no matter what; you won't get that error.

pepanee, Sep 21, 2017
  5. pepanee Win User
    Additional idea that isn't too inconvenient:

• Try this app to play your DVD movies, does it give you that same error: Home · MPC-HC

pepanee, Sep 21, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. Did you open the draw, close it, and try again?

Tony K, Sep 21, 2017
  7. sygnus21 Win User
    How is this actually helping the OP fix their DVD issue? Watching the movies elsewhere does nothing to fix the DVD drive.

@allam447635, frustrations aside, we need a bit more info...

• Is it a DVD or Blu-Ray?
    • How old is the drive?
    • What video was this?
    • It is a copied version or original?
    • Did you try playing the movie again; did the same thing happen?

sygnus21, Sep 21, 2017
  8. pepanee Win User

Error in DVD player

sygnus21

Hence the reason why I stated that first line:
    "These are only my ideas & thoughts. They may be inconvenient, but see if they may help"

pepanee, Sep 21, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Will the OP please respond so we know if you would like to continue. Thanks.

f14tomcat, Sep 21, 2017
  10. It is a DVD.
    As far as I know there is no way to tell how old the drive is but the copyright year on the case is 2003.
    It is a DVD of The Elegant Universe.
    I think it might be a copied version but I can't tell.
    I tried playing the movie again, the same thing happened when I tried to pause and resume. Never happened before Creators Update

allam447635, Sep 23, 2017
  11. Also, this is only a problem in the built-in Windows DVD Player. Other software works fine.

allam447635, Sep 23, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    Just getting to this. Been busy. These are just thoughts I'm tossing out there.

Just to let you know, drivers are the responsibility of the manufacturer to see that it runs properly within any OS or any update. OSs and updates are released to them beforehand for them to test.

Most likely nothing wrong with the physical drive itself.

Does it have an official label on the DVD itself? If not, then most likely it's a copy.

Could it be a Blu-ray or a copy of a Blu-ray? Does it present a menu of scenes, etc? If so, it could be a Java thing messing up.

If it's a copy > Hollywood and the music industry has set high restrictions on copyrighted material, especially with MS and its Windows since it's the #1 OS in the world. This also includes iOS and Android/open source. With the telemetry of Windows nowadays it's possible that it lets you start the movie, but hinders you as it is doing so with you. Other players may not be following these restrictions.

Tony K, Sep 25, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User

Error in DVD player

@allam447635

Unlikely it's a Blu-Ray. Sony did not officially release it for public until June, 2006. Case says 2003.

Blu-ray - Wikipedia

If MS telemetry is suspected, as a member suggested, disconnect the network and see if it fails. That would tell you if MS is watching what you're doing with your DVDs. Unlikely, though.

Have you tried a different player? A widely used option is VLC Player. It's free and could rule out a faulty DVD disc and/or physical player. Download official VLC media player for Windows - VideoLAN

Just trying to isolate what is causing the problem. Testing a playback using VLC successfully would point to the built in Windows DVD Player. If you don't want or like VLC, you can just uninstall it.

I just noticed Windows DVD Player is a Paid MS app from the store. Is this what you are using? I can't tell for sure because of the way you worded it:

"Also, this is only a problem in the built-in Windows DVD Player." Post #10.

If so, have you tried re-installing it? If you paid $15 for it, you own it and should be able to re-install. In addition, there is a note on the app page saying you also need to install a reliability update by going to a link provided. I've highlighted that area. Has all this been done?

Thanks.

Error in DVD player [​IMG]

If it's not the app you are using, what exactly are you using?

f14tomcat, Sep 25, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    Well, the solution to your problem is kind of obvious isn't it?

There is probably nothing yo can do to fix issue other than report issue to MS via feedback hub.

cereberus, Sep 25, 2017
  15. The Windows DVD player came with my Windows 10 installation. My computer was first upgraded to Windows 10 in June 2016. This whole decoding issue did not start until the Creators Update, which was forced on me a few weeks ago.

allam447635, Sep 25, 2017
Thema:

Error in DVD player

1. Error in DVD player - Similar Threads - Error DVD player

2. DVD player.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD player.: Hey. Is the cost of this app one time or per month or per year? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/bb25bcdd-f3c3-4c1f-9dc7-5066dc654dfc
  3. DVD player

DVD player: When I buy the DVD player is it just one only pay thing or is it a kind of subscription and every I have to pay monthly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/9a86037a-9c86-4a90-84f4-d3be880a1f93
  4. dvd player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dvd player: Cannot play dvd after in 10 pro upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/edbf2a95-1b86-4274-ab27-1d9eda0fdadb
  5. DVD player

DVD player: I Need to re-load my DVD Player Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/d980d940-9734-439b-a6d5-83eef6ea49ae
  6. DVD player

DVD player: How do I get a DVD to play on my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/5f7fd633-5532-4883-9640-6ead583cf0e4
  7. dvd player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dvd player: will not play dvds,the dvd player wors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/e5375dfa-a20f-4248-b657-2dfe89a6a938
  8. DVD Player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Player: Why won't a DVD play on my Dell OptiPlex with Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/8c142ba8-bb45-40fc-a6e5-5c8478890f99
  9. dvd player

in Windows 10 Customization
    dvd player: After purchasing a windows 10 laptop, I find I must purchase a separate dvd player. I have no problem with this, but how do I install it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/44b466f4-7452-4f61-8dba-f4e587d83014
  10. DVD player?

in Windows 10 Support
    DVD player?: Windows does not play video DVD. What is god software to replace it? 90945