Windows 10: Error messages when taking ownership or changing permissions in C:\

Discus and support Error messages when taking ownership or changing permissions in C:\ in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I created a Guest account in Windows 10 and I wanted to restrict its access to my other drives/partitions. I managed to do it for my other drives via... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by letterwhy, Jul 24, 2017.

1. letterwhy Win User

Error messages when taking ownership or changing permissions in C:\

I created a Guest account in Windows 10 and I wanted to restrict its access to my other drives/partitions. I managed to do it for my other drives via security/permission settings, but I'm encountering a bunch of error messages such as "failed to enumerate objects" or "file in use" when I do it on my c:\ (system) drive.

I've tried taking ownership of c:\ and giving my Admin account full control but when I do it gives me the same error messages (example of files that give me this error message are hiberfil.sys, bootmgr, programdata folder, system32 folder, avast, etc.)

My OS becomes unstable after this such as I can't use the search bar, start button not working, etc. Luckily I've created images and restore points before attempting any of this so I was able to revert everything back to normal during my numerous failed attempts.

I've read an old post in the forum with the same issue here: I have broken W 10 by trying to take ownership of C:\ please help! - Windows 10 Forums

Can anybody point me in the right direction on how I can properly do this? Or is it even advisable to try to change permissions or take ownership of c:\?

Supporting details regarding my problem:

Drives:
    C - System (should only be available to Admin user)
    D - Backup (should only be available to Admin user)
    E - Data (available to Admin and Standard user, not available to Guest user)
    F - Visitor (available to Admin and Guest user, not available to Standard user)
    Users:
    Administrator
    Standard User

Thanks in advance!

:)

letterwhy, Jul 24, 2017
  2. Samuria Win User

Many folders and files on c are owned by system changing any of them can make your PC into a brick a lot will be stopped by system anyway

Samuria, Jul 24, 2017
  3. Use this to reset permissions:
    Code: icacls C:\* /T /L /Q /C /RESET[/quote]
    You do not need to take ownership for this, just keep System and Administrators and remove the rest.

TairikuOkami, Jul 24, 2017
  4. Error messages when taking ownership or changing permissions in C:\

C:\ is the system drive, and ALL users need access to it. The permissions are already set correctly for it on install, and you
    should not be messing with them. Administrators already have full control on C:\, by default. If you want restricted-access
    folders under C:\, then just create them and set appropriate permissions on them.

kreemoweet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Error messages when taking ownership or changing permissions in C:\

1. Error messages when taking ownership or changing permissions in C:\ - Similar Threads - Error messages taking

2. Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.: Windows 11, desktop PC. Just purchased PC. Tried using an external plug-in dvd drive. I inserted the software disk into the drive and the setup.exe file would not auto-run. Received the following error message:"An administrator has blocked you from running this application....
  3. Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.: Windows 11, desktop PC. Just purchased PC. Tried using an external plug-in dvd drive. I inserted the software disk into the drive and the setup.exe file would not auto-run. Received the following error message:"An administrator has blocked you from running this application....
  4. Admin user still getting permission prompts/Can't take ownership of C drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin user still getting permission prompts/Can't take ownership of C drive.: HP OMEN; Windows 10 I just got this laptop. Went through set up using my existing Microsoft account without issue. However, although my profile is by default an admin, I am unable to do much of anything--even creating a new folder--within the C drive without getting some...
  5. Permissions greyed out, cannot take ownership.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions greyed out, cannot take ownership.: Hey guys trying to take control of this folder but the option is greyed out, check attachment ! I tried taking ownership but it doesnt work. The option change is greyed out. Is their any way to do this? [img] 168861
  6. Win 10 permissions and take ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win 10 permissions and take ownership: I have a user who can take ownership of a folder when i have expressly denied the user and administrator/s all permissions including take ownership Users on a single Win 10 PC and as I am not just the only one who uses the PC I want to lock a folder down to stop anyone else...
  7. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  8. Impossible to change permissions or take ownership over file.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Impossible to change permissions or take ownership over file.: Windows 10 64-bit I have a file that AVG Antivirus Free has detected as a Trojan-gen with the name "DBcHMDC" this file is located in the "C:\ProgramData" folder. When i ask AVG to solve the issue, it isn't able to do anything. So i went to check on the file myself, it turns...
  9. Take ownership(my permission hell)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take ownership(my permission hell): I've been using take ownership since maybe my win7 days even vista but M$ has done something to the process as take ownership no longer applies to everything in a folder. It's been hell trying to restore my older profiles every time I am forced to reinstall the OS(10th time...
  10. Issues after taking ownership of C:\

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues after taking ownership of C:\: Hi there. I've been rather stupid and transferred ownership of C:\, including system32, to my account (the administrator and only user). While I would instantly switch it back, due to an unrelated reason I restarted my computer (Surface Pro 4). Since then I've done research...