Windows 10: Error printing on Generic Text Only printer -Win10

Discus and support Error printing on Generic Text Only printer -Win10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I run an application that requires printing to the Generic Text only print driver. Hsve been running it for years - fitst in WinXP, then in Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bstuttman, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Bstuttman Win User

Error printing on Generic Text Only printer -Win10

I run an application that requires printing to the Generic Text only print driver. Hsve been running it for years - fitst in WinXP, then in Windows 7 and it ran fine - no problems. Renently set up new computer with win10 pro x64 and cannot get the generic only text driver to print. Each time get slide out box stating “error on generic text only ptinter”. Googled problem and see others had same problem going bact to 2016. Does anyone know of a fix?

:)

Bstuttman, Aug 24, 2018
  2. JC_1966 Win User

WIN10 Generic Text Printing - how to generate a *.txt (as previous Windows versions)

I have a Legacy application I cannot modify that is based internally on text. I need to print it to text file. Prior to WIN10 I could install a Generic Text only printer and generate a *.txt file that I need. With WIN10 the Generic Text printer only gives
    me option of *.prn which is of no use.

I am trying to generate a *.txt I am not trying to print anything.

Best workaround so far is to print to PDF then copy that as text. However that messes up the formatting so I have to waste time correcting that to get the text output I need.

One other workaround tried was to try print to OneNote, but that gives an image, not text.

I've re-installed the driver a few times but same effect.

JC_1966, Aug 24, 2018
  3. Error - Printing on Network printer

We have 4 printers on our Windows print server. The server was migrated from win2k3 to 2k8 on friday. 3/4 printers are working great, the other is having issues. When trying to print a test page to it, it gets a job status of Error - Printing.

When sending a small word document to it, it sends it to the printer, the queue is empty but nothing prints. If I goto the printer itself, it doesnt show any errors and I can print things such as information sheets and diagnostic files just fine.

All four printers are the same model, all 4 have a static IP. I can ping the printer successfully. I've tried printing from both an XP machine and the print server itself. I tried removing and adding the printer on the print server. And lastly, uunplugged the printer for 30 seconds, plugged it back in.

Any ideas?

Hybrid_theory, Aug 24, 2018
  4. Error printing on Generic Text Only printer -Win10

Generic Text printer Windows 10

Here is what I did:

1. Upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 - rebooted.

2. Installed HP Inkjet printer (no problems).

3. Installed HP Laser printer (no problems).

4. Installed Generic / Text only printer. Got error message.

5. Rebooted - same error message.

6. Uninstalled Generic / Text only printer.

7. Checked for driver updates (said everything was current).

8. Reinstalled Generic / Text only printer.

9. Rebooted.

10. Tried to print a page from Word. It should print to file. Got error message: Printer in error state.

I need this printer to print a prn file. Then I forward the prn file to court reporting firm who import it into their software. I've been doing this for years. I even have a computer on Win 10 that I have no problems printing prn file. This computer was
    upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10.

DonnetteCowgill, Aug 24, 2018
Thema:

Error printing on Generic Text Only printer -Win10

1. Error printing on Generic Text Only printer -Win10 - Similar Threads - Error printing Generic

2. generic/text only printer driver for windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    generic/text only printer driver for windows 11: This is another familiar and useful Windows feature that's missing in Windows 11. Please can anyone relate how to install it?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generictext-only-printer-driver-for-windows-11/84dd73f9-00f3-4331-8bd7-3d017c4e3bc2
  3. generic/text only printer driver for windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    generic/text only printer driver for windows 11: This is another familiar and useful Windows feature that's missing in Windows 11. Please can anyone relate how to install it?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generictext-only-printer-driver-for-windows-11/84dd73f9-00f3-4331-8bd7-3d017c4e3bc2
  4. Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected: I have configured a generic / text only printer to print instrument and alarm status in our company. I needed the file in notepad. It previously worked, printed properly with all the right details. However, for some reason I can't determine, it has failed to show the data I...
  5. Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected: I have configured a generic / text only printer to print instrument and alarm status in our company. I needed the file in notepad. It previously worked, printed properly with all the right details. However, for some reason I can't determine, it has failed to show the data I...
  6. Generic / Text Only Printer not printing as expected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Printer not printing text, only headers

Printer not printing text, only headers: Suddenly my printer is printing only headers and not body text. Where is setting that controls this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-not-printing-text-only-headers/a16066f3-baa8-4e1c-b6e7-e1e7bcc6bfeb
  8. Generic / Text only Driver

Generic / Text only Driver: I have a virtual printer on Raspberry which is configured as raw. On windows it is defined as a Generic / Text only printer. If I have a simple txt file consisting of umlauts ä, ü, ö and when sending to a virtual printer, the data comes in corrupted , , . When saving the...
  9. Generic / Text only Driver

Generic / Text only Driver: Good Day, How do i get the Generic / Text Only driver to work in windows 10? Regards Dexter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generic-text-only-driver/14f4a56a-a108-41ae-b50a-41a446e5e99f
  10. Install Printer using Generic / Text Only

Install Printer using Generic / Text Only: We have receipt printers which connect via parallel port. We are changing to newer printers which connect via USB port. Because of an important application (from our Application Service Provider), the receipt printer needs to use the Generic / Text Only driver (which also...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. generic text printer windows 10

2. error printing on generic text only

3. how to remove generic text only printer

4. win 10 Generic Text only mit working,
  5. server 2016 print to text error,
  6. error printintg to generic text,
  7. generic / text printing,
  8. PRINTER BUSY OR ERROR GENERIC TEXT PRINTER,
  9. windows 10 generic text printer,
  10. windows 10 text generic to file:,
  11. generic txt error,