Windows 10: Error When Installing Windows 10 on new Laptop HDD

Discus and support Error When Installing Windows 10 on new Laptop HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So my laptop's HDD recently crapped out on me. Luckily I had a 500gb HDD from my old laptop sitting around, so I figured I'd just use that one and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ViceUhVersa, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Error When Installing Windows 10 on new Laptop HDD

So my laptop's HDD recently crapped out on me. Luckily I had a 500gb HDD from my old laptop sitting around, so I figured I'd just use that one and install a new copy of windows 10 on it, however I've run into some issues.

I've formatted the HDD, but when I try and select the partition to install windows, I get the error "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." I've only formatted the HDD using the Windows Setup, do I need to use a 3rd party program to format it differently?

I've also read that changing the Sata Mode in the BIOS can fix this issue, however the only option for sata mode I have in the BIOS is RAID. I don't have AHCI or IDE as options.

Any help in fixing this issue is appreciated. I can provide pictures as well if needed.

:)

ViceUhVersa, Apr 15, 2017

2. Windows10 update crashed my laptop

My ACER laptop crashed on 25th Aug 2016 when in the morning it was updating for new Windows 10 patch (as a regular practice, of daily windows update). The system went blank with auto repair started (by the system); but for hours and hours nothing happened.
    I had to pay for my data recovery and installation of new HDD. Now, how to install the Windows 10, on that laptop which has new HDD.

Manish_Shukla, Apr 15, 2017
  3. HARIGE Win User
    Laptop HDD with upgraded Win 10 Pro crashed

I have a Dell Laptop which came pre-installed with Windows 7 Pro 64bit. During the free upgrade to Windows 10, I upgraded the OS to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. This is 4 months ago. My HDD has been showing SMART error and I will have to buy a new HDD. I would
    like to install my own copy of WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit on the new HDD. Please advise on how to do it as I only have the disks for Windows 7 that came with laptop and as of today the free upgrade to Windows 10 is no longer available.

HARIGE, Apr 15, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Error When Installing Windows 10 on new Laptop HDD

Welcome to the forum. If you delete all the partitions then try it should go let windows create what it needs

Samuria, Apr 15, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Assuming you are booting from a Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD:

When you get to the very first screen, press shift + F10. This should open a command prompt. Then run:

diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    exit
    exit

Then, when you get to the option for a custom install, select the custom install option. Unallocated space should be shown for the hard drive or SSD. Highlight the unallocated space and click Next.

NavyLCDR, Apr 15, 2017
  6. Thank you both for the quick response.

Unfortunately I've tried deleting all the partitions and creating a new one, and if didn't work.

I also just tried deleting it through the command promt using the commands you listed above, and unfortunately that did not work either.

I'm still receiving the same error, "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

ViceUhVersa, Apr 15, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    You say Unfortunately I've tried deleting all the partitions and creating a new one, and if didn't work. You were advised NOT to create any let windows do it you may be creating a MBR and it want GPT

Samuria, Apr 16, 2017
  8. Error When Installing Windows 10 on new Laptop HDD

I apologize, my phrasing was kinda poor. I did originally try and create a new partion, yes, however after wiping the HDD using the cmd prompt, I never created a new partition, and I'm still unable to get it to work.

It current says Drive 0 Unallocated Space, and the same error as before is showing up at the bottom of Windows setup, the "Windows cannot be installed on this disk" error. And when attempting to click next, it displays "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

Not sure where to go from here.

ViceUhVersa, Apr 16, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    simrick, Apr 16, 2017
  10. Thanks for the reply!

So I downloaded the recovery tools bootable disk, and tried booting from it, however I'm getting another error now.

Whenever I boot to it it comes up with a blue recovery screen that says
    "There isn't enough memory available to create a ram disk device"
    Error code: 0xc0000017

Tried looking up fixes for that, but I couldn't find one that pertained to my current situation.

11. simrick Win User
    Seems to be a RAM problem; see here:
    Fix 0xc0000017 error while installing Windows 10 - Winaero
    No way to run their fix if you can't get into windows, so see if you can run Memtest86 to identify if it really is a bad stick
    MemTest86 - Offical Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool

simrick, Apr 16, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    Here's another thing you may be able to try:
    Put the W10 installation media back in and begin the install process.
    At the first screen, press and hold SHIFT Key + F10 key.
    This will open a command prompt, and you could try the commands at that point.
    Code: bcdedit /enum {badmemory}[/quote] Code: bcdedit /deletevalue {badmemory} badmemorylist[/quote] It may get W10 installed, but I'd still be wary if any of the RAM is going bad. Memtest86 will answer that.

simrick, Apr 16, 2017
  13. simrick Win User

What is your system model/specs? Please fill it in.

simrick, Apr 16, 2017
  14. Code: bcdedit /deletevalue {badmemory} badmemorylist[/quote] It may get W10 installed, but I'd still be wary if any of the RAM is going bad. Memtest86 will answer that.[/quote] I had tried those commands before hand (found them when I googled my second error) to no avail. When I try and use either one the cmd prompt says
    "The boot configuration data store could not be opened
    The requested system device cannot be found"

I wasn't sure how to test my memory since I can't get into Windows like you said, so I definitely appreciate the link to memtest. I just finished running a test with it all the way through, and it came back with 0 errors.

Also, I updated some of my system specs in my profile.

15. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm guessing it is because the SATA controller is set for RAID in the UEFI/BIOS and Windows probably needs a RAID driver.

NavyLCDR, Apr 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Error When Installing Windows 10 on new Laptop HDD - Similar Threads - Error Installing Laptop

2. Installing windows 10 on a new HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing windows 10 on a new HDD: My HDD is dying so I want to plug a second one in and move everything over to it, but how do I get Windows 10 on to the second/new HDD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-windows-10-on-a-new-hdd/3329a9e0-824a-43bd-9685-303be2d077f9
  3. Installing windows 10 on a new HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing windows 10 on a new HDD: My HDD is dying so I want to plug a second one in and move everything over to it, but how do I get Windows 10 on to the second/new HDD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-windows-10-on-a-new-hdd/3329a9e0-824a-43bd-9685-303be2d077f9
  4. Installing windows 10 on a new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Error when installing windows 10 on a 3t hdd.

Error when installing windows 10 on a 3t hdd.: Hello, I've got a starnage error when installing windows. On the partitioning screen everything was fine until i tried to create a new partition on a 3t hdd, and it made an approx 2t one and there was 700 and some gb unallocated. When i tried to allocate taht as well it gave...
  6. Error installing fresh windows 10 on new HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Error installing fresh windows 10 on new HDD: Hello, I replaced the harddrive in my laptop with a new 1TB seagate HDD. I used the microsoft windows installer to create a usb with a windows 10 image. When I try to boot it up on my HP laptop, the HP logo appears then my laptop shuts down and cycles through several times...
  7. Errors regarding adding new HDD in a laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Errors regarding adding new HDD in a laptop: I tried to add a new HDD to my computer, It wanted me to initialize the HDD. But I cannot do so due to many errors popping up. The error says "The request could not be performed due to an I/O device error". If I retry it sometimes gives a different error that says "Invalid...
  8. Installing Windows 10 on a brand new laptop with SSD and HDD storage

Installing Windows 10 on a brand new laptop with SSD and HDD storage: I bought a new laptop that has an HDD and an SSD, the laptop has no Windows pre installed (it's free DOS) and I want to install Windows 10 on it. My question is, how to install the windows on the SSD and not the HDD? I mean, on the screen that shows "where do you want to...
  9. Fresh Windows 10 install on new HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fresh Windows 10 install on new HDD: Hi folks, I recently starting receiving a HDD error when booting suggesting my hard drive was due to fail. Trying to be proactive I purchased and installed a new HDD with more storage than original. Initially my goal was to clone the source drive to the new HDD using...
  10. Re-install Windows 10 on new HDD

Re-install Windows 10 on new HDD: I have been using my laptop for 4 years now with pre-install of Windows 10 on it. Few weeks back, its HDD had crunchy sound, and that's when I knew it is broken. I bought brand new HDD and installed it into my laptop. But now my biggest concern is install Window 10. I'm not a...