Windows 10: Error while performing clean install of windows 10 fall creators updat

Discus and support Error while performing clean install of windows 10 fall creators updat in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I own a dell inspiron 5558 laptop.I was performing a clean installation of fall creators update by bootable usb drive. Since I was performing a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by awwsome, Oct 18, 2017.

1. awwsome Win User

Error while performing clean install of windows 10 fall creators updat

I own a dell inspiron 5558 laptop.I was performing a clean installation of fall creators update by bootable usb drive.
    Since I was performing a clean installation so i selected boot from usb and started installing.
    I chose custom installation and deleted the partitions except following:
    1: ESP 500MB SYSTEM
    2: DIAGS 40MB OEM(RESERVED)
    3: 128 MB MSR(RESERVED)
    4: WINRETOOLS 750 MB RECOVERY
    5: PBR IMAGE 7.7GB RECOVERY

I have 922.4GB as unallocated space. When i select this partition to install windows, it give me a error "windows cannot be told in to this disc. The selected disc is of the GPT partition style". I am stuck here and don't know what to do. I don't know whether the above-mentioned partitions are necessary. I searched and found one solution to convert GPT to MBR but it involves a formatting of whole hard disk and i am not sure about formatting the above-mentioned partitions. Please tell me what to do asap, since i need my laptop for exams..

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

:)

awwsome, Oct 18, 2017

2. Windows 10 Fall Creators update- Restoring your previous version of Windows

Hi,

Having some damaged Windows Update components could be a possible reason why you are experiencing an issue with installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. For us to provide better assistance, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows is currently installed on your device?
    • Are you getting any error messages upon trying to install Windows 10 Fall Creators Update?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for Windows Update before performing a
    clean installation of Windows 10 Fall Creators build. This tool can scan and repair damaged Windows Update components. Make sure to back up all of your files before performing a clean installation since this will wipe out all of your files and data.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Oct 18, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Fall Creators update- Restoring your previous version of Windows

As I already said, I don't get any error code or message. Windows update installation reaches around ~90% and computer restarts and then "Restoring your previous version of windows" process starts. I don't get any error msg appearing after I log into my
    account or in update history. I'm using Window 10 Home. My other PC got updated to Fall Creators successfully.

I've a question before I attempt to clean install fall creators build. Will it ask for product key and activation? If yes then that would be problem for me because my PC came pre-installed with windows 10 Home (activated with digital license).

Ashutoshm07, Oct 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Please post a screenshot of your disk using Minitool Partition Wizard.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

As you can't boot your PC, please download and create Kyhi's boot disk (from the top of the Software and Apps section here), boot your PC from it. Minitool Partition Wizard will then be available to you.

For an EFI GPT installation of Windows, these are the partitions you should expect to have removed:

Error while performing clean install of windows 10 fall creators updat [​IMG]

One possible immediate approach you could take could be to create a disk image of your existing disk (creates a compressed image on a USB disk) using e.g. Macrium Reflect (free).
    We constantly urge people to routinely use disk imaging to protect Windows their disks, their data and possibly their sanity!

Given you have that, you would be free to reformat your disk and reinstall Windows.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

You could then restore any of those partitions which are useful.
    Note: you can explore the content of those partitions with Minitool partition wizard.

dalchina, Oct 18, 2017
  5. awwsome Win User

Since i have deleted the windows partitions, i am not able to boot into windows.
    In Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials it is suggested to delete all the partitions on the drive.
    My question is that, is it safe to delete all partitions. I mean, will these partitions automatically be created by installing Windows.

Please reply ASAP.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE AGAIN.

awwsome, Oct 18, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    1. If they are data partitions (not the ones that are intrinsic to Windows like those in my screenshot) then if you delete them they will be gone.
    2. I can't identify some of the ones you show for sure.
    P1 - ESP - ESP is unfamiliar.
    P2 - DIAGS - OEM - perhaps something created as part of an OEM installation by your manufacturer. Perhaps only relevant to your original installation?
    P4 - Recovery - looks like a Win 10 recovery partition. Can be deleted.
    P5 - expect that's the Recovery partition created by your manufacturer- used to recover your PC to as bought state.
    If you don't need it- delete it.

As I said, with Kyhi's boot disk you can explore those partitions and check if there's anything you need. It looks like you didn't have a data partition you created on that disk.

Turning to the error message:
    Is your BIOS correctly configured?
    Fix The Selected Disk is of the GPT Partition Style in Windows 10/8/7 - EaseUS

dalchina, Oct 18, 2017
  7. awwsome Win User
    Well i deleted all the partitions and it worked fine.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

awwsome, Oct 18, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Great.. now the next thing to do is secure your PC and start using disk imaging routinely, as we strongly recommend. Why? You can often avoid having to do a clean install and recover to a working state when things go wrong without technical help.

Here's my write-up on the value of disk imaging.

Everyone who contributes regularly here uses and recommends disk imaging.

If you use it, you can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your imaged disks and partitions to a previous working state from compressed copies you have created and kept updated on external storage media, quickly and probably without technical help.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

(There's a tutorial on Macrium in the Tutorials section, and a couple of videos in the user videos section on this forum)
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

dalchina, Oct 18, 2017
  9. awwsome Win User
    I'll do that for sure and THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING.
    You are a awesome person

awwsome, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Error while performing clean install of windows 10 fall creators updat - Similar Threads - Error while performing

2. Fall Creators Update Error Code

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall Creators Update Error Code: While installing 1903 Fall Creators Update Windows 10 Update error code 0x80070570 I have tried the update troubleshooter several times. Then I tried gong into airplane mode, reboot, stop 4 services then rename folders, then restart services, exit airplane mode and reboot...
  3. Upgrade or Clean Install Windows 10 Fall creators update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade or Clean Install Windows 10 Fall creators update: Hallo, my name is mochaffff. I want to ask about upgrading from windows 10 home to windows fall creators update, so my laptop acer swift 3 i7 is preloaded with w10 home, and i want to upgrade it to w10 fall creators update, but im confused how do upgrade it bcs i dont want...
  4. WINDOWS 10 Fall Creators Update

WINDOWS 10 Fall Creators Update: I just downloaded the above mentioned update and it looks like some fun things are here. I am interested in giving "Paint 3D" a shot although I am told it's designed for touch screen and I don't use one. Here's the problem---it has force fed me "OneDrive" which I am not a...
  5. Fall Creator's Update refuses to install

Fall Creator's Update refuses to install: Hi, all. I've had no problems with updates on my Toshiba L50-C laptop until trying to install version 1709. The update wouldn't download last night, so I shut down and ran the WU troubleshooter this morning. Then it downloaded, but got stuck 'preparing to install' at...
  6. Windows 10 Fresh Install Fall Creators Update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Fresh Install Fall Creators Update?: Hello about to install Windows 10 onto a new PC I have Windows 10 on USB is it possible yet to just install to the latest version or do I need to update after install? Thanks 99200
  7. Fall Creators Update poor performance/lagginess FIX

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fall Creators Update poor performance/lagginess FIX: Hi, ever since FCU update, I've been experiencing general slowness and lagginess of Windows, even in trivial things, like maximizing/restoring Explorer window, as well as some extreme performance regressions in professional software, such as 3ds Max, DaVinci Resolve or...
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Clean install of Fall Creators Update and State Repository Service

Clean install of Fall Creators Update and State Repository Service: I did a clean install of Fall Creator's Update using bootable media and when I finished the clean install and went through OOBE while online and edge opened automatically. As soon as I clicked on the hyperlinks in Edge the app freezes and then the CPU reaches almost 100% on...
  10. Fall Creators Update fails to install

Fall Creators Update fails to install: Attempted from 16299.15 ISO. Suspect something to do with AMD 17.7.2 driver (latest for this system) since it aborts at 33%. [img] Edit: Today I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 16299.15 on a unused partition. It installed with any issues and Windows 10...