Windows 10: Esxi Host - adding Sound and USB support in Windows VM

Discus and support Esxi Host - adding Sound and USB support in Windows VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks (For people who might be trying ESXi for the first time - remember to access the VM's via console or equivalent you need to access via a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Mar 23, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Esxi Host - adding Sound and USB support in Windows VM

Hi folks

(For people who might be trying ESXi for the first time - remember to access the VM's via console or equivalent you need to access via a SEPARATE machine such as a laptop running vSphere client (works a bit like RDP) / SSH etc and it's free as is Esxi - the esxi machine itself has only a limited command set -- you can test it as a VM itself though but then running 2nd level VM's won't give you good performance --good for testing to familiarize yourself with it though).

For USB support on Guests :

vSphere Documentation Center

For Sound :

This little trick works if you are using ESXi as a Host and you want sound on a Windows VM. It's not officially supported but I've tried this and it works.

Simply on the ESXi machine edit the .vmx (config) file of the VM you want to add the sound to and then reboot the VM.

To edit files on the Esxi machine read this :

VMware Knowledge Base

Here's the lines that need to be added / modified

sound.present = “true”
    sound.allowGuestConnectionControl = “false”
    sound.virtualDev = “hdaudio”
    sound.fileName = “-1”
    sound.autodetect = “true”

I like the idea of Esxi as it has minimal overhead and the VM's are almost as good as the physical machines.
    I can boot up the Esxi system from an internal micro SD card inside the sever (testing an old GEN 8 Microserver for this - hosting 5 VM's concurrently without performance issues so far). The old Gen 8 allows booting from an internal micro sd card / internal USB device plus standard external USB slots as well as HDD's.

If you use this server don't bother with the built in RAID it's a "pseudo hardware/software thing and not good" -- if you want to use RAID do it via software for Linux VM's. You disable the servers RAID by setting in the BIOS the controller mode to AHCI. Then it works just like "Normal computers" where you can see the HDD's etc.

You can pick these servers up really cheaply -- make good NAS boxes or home labs -- if you are a gamer then this is not for you as the processors these servers have won't be fit for that purpose even if you add an external graphics card. For general learning / experimenting --great boxes with tiny footprint and low power consumption. And they do support 4 X 6 TB HDD's -- I think when these servers came out 6TB HDD's weren't that common or mega expensive.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 23, 2018
  2. hkw_can Win User

Windows 10 anniversary update frozen midway through installation

I have the same problem, fortunately this is a VM running on ESXi server, so I just reloaded an old snapshot. Really annoying issue though. I still have to figure out how to upgrade it eventually. Very frustrating...

PS: I have no wifi as this is running on an ESXI server

Anyone else had this problem with a Win10 VM?

hkw_can, Mar 23, 2018
  3. Can't install Creators Update (1703) on a specific machine. Other machines install just fine.

I had the same problem with an upgrade to windows 1703 on ESXi 5.5. Solved it by upgrading the VM hardware from vmx-9 to vmx-10 (Right click on VM -> Upgrade Virtual Hardware) then adjusting the settings for it to indicate it was a Windows-10 64bit server.

brett england, Mar 23, 2018
Thema:

Esxi Host - adding Sound and USB support in Windows VM

1. Esxi Host - adding Sound and USB support in Windows VM - Similar Threads - Esxi Host adding

2. Windows 11 host virtualization VM sound problems.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 host virtualization VM sound problems.: Good day!Introductory:PC: Notebook MSI Raider GE76OS: Windows 11 with latest updates. Installed everything that the update center sees.VMware Workstation 16 and 17 virtualization is used. The same problem was observed in virtualbox virtualization.On all virtual machines with...
  3. Windows 11 host virtualization VM sound problems.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 host virtualization VM sound problems.: Good day!Introductory:PC: Notebook MSI Raider GE76OS: Windows 11 with latest updates. Installed everything that the update center sees.VMware Workstation 16 and 17 virtualization is used. The same problem was observed in virtualbox virtualization.On all virtual machines with...
  4. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  5. Windows 10 1909 VM on ESXi not ready for upgrade to 2004?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1909 VM on ESXi not ready for upgrade to 2004?: I'm trying to upgrade a virtual Windows 10, version 1909, machine running on VMWare ESXi 6.0 to version 2004. However, the upgrade fails repeatedly with a message saying that "this computer is not supported by this 2004 Windows 10 version". Is there a workaround?...
  6. Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS

Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS: Hi folks If you are playing around with KVM Hosts and want Windows VM's to have host access without going through all problems of creating bridges (not supported via KVM on WIFI anyway) here's a simple way to do it : The method works by defining a "Virtual network" and a...
  7. Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation

Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation: Hi there @johnnyZ Here's a screenshot of an Arch Linux system running as a VM on ESXI 5.7 (Esxi is the HOST OS) with the arch linux kernel at 5.3.11 and this VM running VMWare workstation -- so in theory your VM's could easily use any VMWare VM images from USB devices while...
  8. Esxi users -- using RAW (physical ) disks in VM's

Esxi users -- using RAW (physical ) disks in VM's: Hi folks those of you who are trying / using Esxi then it;s possible to pass thru (or attach) physical RAW disks to your VM's - so you can attach existing Windows (NTFS) or Linux formatted disks and also RAID configured arrays as RAW disks. For software RAID attach the...
  9. ESXi 6.7 -- very easy to install VM's with the browser

ESXi 6.7 -- very easy to install VM's with the browser: Hi folks Esxi 6.7 has an easy method with your remote browser to install VM's : ideally 2 computers needed one say your laptop and the other where the Esxi data stores (VM disks etc) and other config runs. Great thing about Esxi is that it's a tiny OS --you can run even...
  10. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. esxi vm adding hdaudio esxi 6.7