Windows 10: Ethernet Adapter - Lease not renewing automatically

Discus and support Ethernet Adapter - Lease not renewing automatically in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For the past month the lease on the Ethernet Adapter has stopped renewing automatically. This means that when the lease expires it has to be renewed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tabvla, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Tabvla Win User

Ethernet Adapter - Lease not renewing automatically

For the past month the lease on the Ethernet Adapter has stopped renewing automatically. This means that when the lease expires it has to be renewed manually by running the Network Troubleshooter. It then renews for 24 hours, at the end of which the connection is again terminated.

I have been associated with computers for most of my adult life and I have not previously seen this behaviour... so this is a new one for me. I would therefore appreciate guidance from a Forum Member who has previously encounted and resolved this issue.

Thanks.

T.

:)

Tabvla, Dec 2, 2017
  2. FotG Win User

Windows 10 DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

I tried to set my Ethernet adapter ipv4 to use google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and suddenly started getting "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET" errors.

I tried setting it back to 'Obtain DNS server address automatically" but that did not fix the problem.

As suggested many other places, I ran all of the following commands and rebooted:

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

NETSH winsock reset catalog

NETSH int ipv4 reset reset.log

NETSH int ipv6 reset reset.log

In order to get the netsh int commands to work, I had to give my self permissions on the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Nsi\{eb004a00-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\26

None of this worked. I also tried reinstalling the Ethernet adapter and resetting my router to factory settings. Nothing seems to work. I have a wireless adapter and it doesn't suffer this problem. How do I fix this problem?

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 28-C2-DD-E2-53-CA

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3566:a0f2:b2c4:944c%12(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.120(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:37:28 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:37:32 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 187220701

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-8C-86-88-30-5A-3A-46-DF-BE

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 30-5A-3A-46-DF-BE

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::387e:ba0f:9d29:6b67%13(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.142(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:50:52 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:50:52 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 221272634

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-8C-86-88-30-5A-3A-46-DF-BE

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

FotG, Dec 2, 2017
  3. Ugo Lopez Win User
    Can't renew IP Address due to 'Media Disconnected'

Private IP addresses can come in the below forms:

10.x.y.z (Class A)

172.16.x.y-172.31.x.y (Class B)

192.168.x.y (Class C)

Which type comes depends on your DHCP (often router) configuration, so your router is configured with class A private IP addresses.

To see if your lease is renewing, you can to the below:

Type CMD+ENTER in Search bar

Type ipconfig /release + ENTER

Type ipconfig /renew + ENTER

Type ipconfig /all + ENTER

Then under your ethernet connection information, check the Lease Obtained date and time and see if it is actual.

Please let me know.

Ugo Lopez, Dec 2, 2017
  4. Ethernet Adapter - Lease not renewing automatically

Hi Tabvla

While I've not had experience with this particular situation, given its been a day, I would like suggest a couple of items. If you don't want to use them I understand.

Have you tried Power cycling your router? Next have you tried the Network Reset?

Start => Settings => Network & internet => Scroll to bottom of right hand side =>Network Reset

This will cause you to “Forget” your wireless passwords and you may have to reset any VPN or customized communication software if you use.

Then I would run the following four bolded commands. Use a Command Prompt(admin) or Powershell(admin)
    Do not key in info in brackets, there for your information.

ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 4, 2017
  5. Tabvla Win User
    Hi Ken

Thanks for your reply and your suggestions.

The problem is specific to the Ethernet Adapter on a single PC. Wireless is not affected and other devices connected, by Ethernet, to the same Router are also not affected.

The Adapter is working perfectly so there is no reason to suspect a hardware problem or a Device Driver problem. The only issue is that the Lease has stopped renewing automatically.

T.

Tabvla, Dec 4, 2017
  6. Okay so resetting things could clear it. You said you run the Network Trouble shooter and if that is the one I'm thinking of it uninstall adapters and re-installs so you get a reset. Your call

Caledon Ken, Dec 4, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    A couple of commands I've had success with in the Command Prompt window are
    ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. Note the spaces before the /, has always worked for me.

Berton, Dec 5, 2017
  8. Tabvla Win User

Ken and Berton, thanks for your replies and your suggestions. Ken, the "Network Troubleshooter" that I refer to is just the normal Windows Network Troubleshooter. I just click on "Troubleshoot" and it renews the Lease.

But this is actually a very weird problem. The computer is a W10 PC connecting via a standard Ethernet Adapter to a Router. If, at the time that the Lease must renew, the computer is OFF (Shutdown and OFF at the mains wall socket) the Lease renews automatically, however, if the computer is ON at that time the Lease does not renew.

Could there be little green men running around in the box...... I am starting to wonder.

T.

Tabvla, Dec 10, 2017
  9. Well apart from the network reset I suggested above along with the four commands not sure what to suggest.

I would check that the adapter cannot be powered down by the computer, Device Manager, Adapter, Properties, Power Mgmt tab.

Another item you could try is reserving that IP address, based on the MAC, in your router (was suggested in a google search).

I know I'm going extreme and I'm not suggesting you do this, just asking. When was the last time this machine was clean installed?

Some devices have been through so many OS upgrades that maybe little Green men are lurking.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ethernet Adapter - Lease not renewing automatically - Similar Threads - Ethernet Adapter Lease

2. USB to Ethernet adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB to Ethernet adapter: How to install USB to Ethernet adapter in desktop computer with Window 8.1 and malfunctioned Ethernet LAN card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-to-ethernet-adapter/d68507df-1491-41ac-ad6d-f03bc100985c
  3. Missing ethernet adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing ethernet adapter: I've spent the last 2 days trying to figure out how to solve this. For some reason the ethernet adapter vanished and I cannot get it working again. Background: About a week ago I replaced my motherboard, CPU, and RAM because my old system was getting very dated. I used my old...
  4. Ethernet Adapter issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet Adapter issues: Win 10 Enterprise. I have onboard ethernet set to a static IP. I'm looking to run hyper-v on here for a few small VMs for a testing env and added an additional PCI 4port NIC attached. Those 4 ports are currently disconnected from the switch. I can ping from the workstation to...
  5. DHCP lease renewal resetting my network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DHCP lease renewal resetting my network: I have two Windows 10 Pro and two Linux RHEL 7 machines at home, all have wired connections to Netgear NAT/Router/DHCP-server. DHCP lease is working fine except that Windows network gets interrupted. The ssh connection (MobaXterm) to Linux drops, manual reconnection works....
  6. DHCP lease renewal resetting my network

in Windows 10 Support
    DHCP lease renewal resetting my network: I have two Windows 10 Pro and two Linux RHEL 7 machines at home, all have wired connections to Netgear NAT/Router/DHCP-server. DHCP lease is working fine except that Windows network gets interrupted. The ssh connection (MobaXterm) to Linux drops, manual reconnection works....
  7. Ethernet Adapter Keeps Getting Disabled Automatically Very Frequently

Ethernet Adapter Keeps Getting Disabled Automatically Very Frequently: I am facing this weird problem from past many months where my Ethernet connection is getting disabled by itself automatically and it is happening very frequently. Even after having a high speed 100 Mbps connection it is happening. I researched about this topic in many...
  8. Hyper-V virtual Ethernet adapter automatically deleted and reconfigured

Hyper-V virtual Ethernet adapter automatically deleted and reconfigured: Hello, I created virtual Ethernet adapter with Hyper-V manager. However, the virtual Ethernet adapter automatically deleted, reconfigured, and restarted repeatedly when the OS(Windows 10 64bit) is booting up. I connect my virtual PC(guest OS) via SSH. Thus, I assigned...
  9. Windows 10 - IP Address Lease Not Renewing until expired.

Windows 10 - IP Address Lease Not Renewing until expired.: I have been troubleshooting this issue on my computer as well as a friends.. where we lose network connectivity every hour. After doing some digging we traced the times we lose network connectivity back to the time the IP address lease expires for our network connection....
  10. How to remove internet lease? Like Lease Expires, Lease Obtained.

How to remove internet lease? Like Lease Expires, Lease Obtained.: I've been having this issue for the past 2-3 years, thinking it was something wrong with my Proxy configuration, ip. The issues I though was the problem are like, "Windows could not automatically detect network's proxy settings", "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP...