Windows 10: Ethernet Connection Description

Discus and support Ethernet Connection Description in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I change the second line of the Ethernet connection. For some reason W10 has decided to use the Hawking_HWABN_AP_Pro to describe the Ethernet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ken429, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Ken429 Win User

Ethernet Connection Description

How do I change the second line of the Ethernet connection. For some reason W10 has decided to use the Hawking_HWABN_AP_Pro to describe the Ethernet connection. This description is also displayed when I connect the Ethernet cable to the Intel (Ethernet 2) port. I'm sure this came about because I was testing a Netgear Wi-Fi 1200 USB 3.0 Adapter that connected to the Hawking Access Point. I have long since removed the Netgear Adapter and do not have a Wi-Fi connection on this system but apparently W10 does not want to give up the Hawking Wi-Fi description and use the default "Network". Any ideas on how to get this back to "normal" would be appreciated.

I just checked another machine that I had the Netgear Wi-Fi Adapter installed and then uninstalled this machine shows the second line of the Ethernet connection as the name I gave to the SMC Wireless Router connection. So it appears that the Netgear drivers do something to screw up the W10 Ethernet description?! Now I need help on two machines!

:)

Ken429, Jul 4, 2017

2. Wifi not turning on when I disconnect from Ethernet in Windows 10 - HELP!!

Hi,

From the above description, I see that you want Wi-Fi to be turned on automatically when I disconnect from Ethernet.

If the Wi-Fi is always turned on when you disconnect from Ethernet it will automatically connect to Wi-Fi.

If the Wi-Fi is turned off when you disconnect from Ethernet, Wi-Fi will not connect or it will not turn on the Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi will not turn on automatically, but it will connect automatically if its turned on.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jul 4, 2017
  3. m2_225288 Win User
    N8 ip address

On you computer assuming your are running Windows,

get the cmd command in Start - Run (XP) or Start - Accessories - Run

type: ipconfig /all

and it will displau something like this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Lindsey

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0C-5C-23-99-D9-45

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-EE-88-23-0F

Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-22-11-88-22

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Personal Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Personal Area Network

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-BB-8A-D8-2C

I have this laptop connected through Local Area Connection where you will find the information needed Ethernet Connection Description :) for your settings.

m2_225288, Jul 4, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User
  5. Ken429 Win User
    Eagle51,

Thanks for the quick response. I kind of stumbled into the ProfileName in the Registry and was reluctant to make a change. But the Tutorial you referenced seems to say that's the way to do it. Seems like this is just another "Bug" in W10 Networking since the ProfileName picks up the name of the last network that the system was connected to (Wi-Fi) and does not change when re-connected to an existing Ethernet network?! Oh well, I guess it's a minor issue since it does not have any negative effect on the system.

I would not have even noticed if I had not been playing with a Wi-Fi USB Adapter...AND... trying to figure out why one of the W10 systems on my home network sees all the other computers on the network but all the other computers on the network do not see the one system. Next post will be in a little more detail unless there is already a solution that I'm not aware of. There must be a setting somewhere in W10 that I am missing...OR...the problem system X370 Taichi with a Ryzen 1700X processor does not want to be discovered by W10!

Ken429, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Ethernet Connection Description

1. Ethernet Connection Description - Similar Threads - Ethernet Connection Description

2. Ethernet Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet Connection: I have a new PC and it has been connected to internet via ethernet cable - this has stopped working, tried cable in another device and not working there either - brand new cable, any suggestions on trying to solve?...
  3. Ethernet Connectivity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet Connectivity: I am going insane I've tried nearly everything I can think of but despite my internet connect being fine for every other device and my ethernet being plugged in I cant access the internet. I've done a network reset, I've done a router reset, I've updated drivers but I still...
  4. ethernet not connected/

ethernet not connected/: hello I am getting a 169. address in ip config with media disconnected/on ethernet,i am connected with wireless usb netgear, , dell OptiPlex 755,att netgear wireless/ethernet router, when run network diag shows cable disconnected not plugged in tried two cables, I can hook...
  5. ethernet connection

ethernet connection: how do i rename an ethernet connection in windows 10?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-connection/e3c4ee8b-f301-49fd-9c97-06aa6a7a3e40
  6. Ethernet Connection

Ethernet Connection: So recently I've been seeing that my ethernet cable is connected but when I look at my connection it shows that no internet is available although I'm able to do everything just fine. When I look into my network setting there is another Ethernet connection that shows but this...
  7. Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet

Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet: I have my ethernet cable plugged in and my computer detects that it has been plugged in but it just says ethernet no internet. I've had this problem for a while and i believe that it started after an update. Its getting really annoying and ive tried some things across the...
  8. ethernet connection

ethernet connection: I have an ethernet cable from my moden to my mini pic but it isn't listed as a viable network connection. Why not? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-connection/1b7d611f-f6be-4cad-8c74-4332de9476d6
  9. Ethernet Not Connected

Ethernet Not Connected: My HP 15, windows 10 says ethernet not connected. And i can't see the wifi either. I have no internet on it for a couple months now. How do I fix it?[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-not-connected/9cd2875f-a035-4d82-8e13-6c19e29786bc
  10. ethernet connection

ethernet connection: I can't get my laptop to connect to internet using etherate cable. I have used this setup in the past but recently can't seem to get it to connect. I use win 10. Seems that a new update may have corrupted the equipment or drivers. Any ideas ??...