Windows 10: Ethernet connection on USB 3.0 randomly disconnects

Discus and support Ethernet connection on USB 3.0 randomly disconnects in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Long time with this issue and very frustrated My laptop is a Dell XPS 13 running Windows 10 64-bit. I just upgraded from Windows 8 hoping that would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by slorio, Mar 16, 2016.

1. slorio Win User

Ethernet connection on USB 3.0 randomly disconnects

Long time with this issue and very frustrated
    My laptop is a Dell XPS 13 running Windows 10 64-bit. I just upgraded from Windows 8 hoping that would solve my issue but it did not. I even re-imaged my PC and the issue remained so I think it must be hardware related, right?
    My problem is that my ethernet connection via the USB gigabit adapter randomly disconnects. The only way to re-establish the connection is to reboot. When I reboot, it takes about 5 minutes before my login screen appears and I can get back to work.
    I have worked with Dell Premium support and they have not been able to find the cause.
    I have updated all my drivers multiple times.
    I have tried adapters with different chip sets and the issue remains.
    I have tried disconnecting my USB devices and only use the ethernet adapter and the issue remains.
    I have tried disabling suspecting plug-ins and add-ins and can't find anything that resolves the issue.
    I have tried using the event log to trace what may be happening and can't find anything useful. I'm not totally clear on what to look for, however.

Can anyone offer some guidance on how to troubleshoot this issue more effectively?

:)

slorio, Mar 16, 2016
  2. Robk29 Win User

Ethernet Connection Disconnects Randomly

I would say you have an expensive door stop.

Do a fresh install from within Windows 10, this is the most time consuming fix hence it is last on the list. By doing what you have to date you have effectively ruled out the software and especially the hardware.

Robk29, Mar 16, 2016
  3. Ethernet Connection Disconnects Randomly

Not using any antivirus.

It reconnects pretty much right away so Windows troubleshooter doesn't say anything's wrong. When it happens, it says network cable unplugged when it actually is plugged in.

Chkdsk and sfc say that nothing is wrong.

I've tried another ethernet outlet.

Burn in Test only found errors in Optical Disk (EEthernet connection on USB 3.0 randomly disconnects :) which I assume isn't related.

fluffycrater, Mar 16, 2016
  4. wyldman68 Win User

Have you changed the Ethernet cable and/or used a different Jack/Port to the switch or router?

wyldman68, Mar 16, 2016
  5. slorio Win User
    I have an Apple Airport Extreme router. I have switched the cables between my iMac and my Dell laptop. The iMac continues to run fine and the Dell continues with the issue.

slorio, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ethernet connection on USB 3.0 randomly disconnects - Similar Threads - Ethernet connection USB

2. Random Disconnection Ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Disconnection Ethernet: Hello, I randomly get disconnected from the internet. I couldn't pinpoint the cause. Event viewer logs two of the same errors:The name "PCNAME :20" could not be registered on the interface with IP address 192.168.1.33. The computer with the IP address 169.254.38.155...
  3. Random Disconnection Ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Disconnection Ethernet: Hello, I randomly get disconnected from the internet. I couldn't pinpoint the cause. Event viewer logs two of the same errors:The name "PCNAME :20" could not be registered on the interface with IP address 192.168.1.33. The computer with the IP address 169.254.38.155...
  4. USB 3 to Ethernet connectivity issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3 to Ethernet connectivity issue.: Hello Team,I have bought Diva USB 3 to 3 USB network adapters including ethernet. I am using Lenovo ideapad 5, which does not have a build-in LAN port and I am unable to find ethernet drivers, also the Realtek auto installation program. The USB ports within the hub are...
  5. USB 3 to Ethernet connectivity issue.

USB 3 to Ethernet connectivity issue.: Hello Team,I have bought Diva USB 3 to 3 USB network adapters including ethernet. I am using Lenovo ideapad 5, which does not have a build-in LAN port and I am unable to find ethernet drivers, also the Realtek auto installation program. The USB ports within the hub are...
  6. Ethernet keeps disconnecting randomly.

Ethernet keeps disconnecting randomly.: Hi,I have had a problem for the past 4 days, i have a tplink wifi extension for my pc, after i switched to win11. The problem occurs randomly, it can be after 7hours or after 30minutes. When i try to run a diagnose, it saya "doesnt have ip configuration " or "correctly...
  7. Random Ethernet Disconnects

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Random Ethernet Disconnects: I have been having an issue with reoccurring disconnects even though I am on an ethernet connection. The wifi remains on but my computer disconnects for a minute. I have already updated and reinstalled the network driver, restarted internet, and changed ethernet cables. Is...
  8. Random Ethernet and WiFi disconnect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Random Ethernet and WiFi disconnect: So I've been dealing with an issue where my ethernet randomly disconnects along with my wifi. Its been an ongoing problem for a while. I've looked and researched every post and forum I could find on this and I couldn't find a single solution. I've tried just about everything...
  9. Ethernet auto disconnecting and connecting randomly in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ethernet auto disconnecting and connecting randomly in windows 10: I am using 4g modem which uses driver: remote NDIS based internet sharing device in window 10 from long time. Recently it's auto disconnecting and connecting randomlywithin 10-20 minutes or more less. Analysis: 1. Some says to uncheck allow the computer to turn off this...
  10. USB Gigabit Ethernet card disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Gigabit Ethernet card disconnecting randomly: Hello, I have a Insignia Gigabit Ethernet adapter that is connected through USB 3.0 no hub. Very frequently my network adapter briefly disconnects accompanied by the windows device unplugged chime and immediately reconnects. I have already tried reinstalling the drivers for...