Windows 10: Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Discus and support Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I'm about 4 hours deep into trying to fix this. I've followed several forum posts with similar issues, with no luck. I've been running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lr1, Sep 9, 2016.

1. LR1
    lr1 Win User

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Hello,

I'm about 4 hours deep into trying to fix this. I've followed several forum posts with similar issues, with no luck.

I've been running windows 10 on my PC with my current hardware (including modem/router) for about a year now with no issues. Yesterday I booted up and had no internet access. The error was something to do with "sockets". I ran the netsh socket reset command, which simply changed the error to my current invalid IP configuration error.

So here's my current state:

I'm typing this from a laptop I dug out of storage. On this laptop I have internet access both through ethernet and the on-board wifi adapter.

On my PC, the ethernet connection is through my motherboard (adapter: Interl Ethernet Connection I218-V), and I have a separate wifi card (adapter: Qualcomm Atheros AR938x). Whether connected with ethernet or wifi, the connection status is:

IPv4 Connectivity: No Network Access
    IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet Access

All items in the properties list are checked, including the IPV4/IPv6 items. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling both the ethernet and wifi adapters. I'm reinstalling from the latest Intel driver installer (PROWinx64).

I've tried the various netconfig commands. If I call "ipconfig /release" I get:

"An error occurred while releasing interface Ethernet 2: An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint".

Here is my ipconfig /all

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration [​IMG]

I've tried a dozen other things, but I don't want to convolute this post, so just let me know what to do and I'll repeat whatever steps.

Thanks!

:)

2. Windows 10 Update of 09/22/2016 Disconnected my Network Drives

Diagnosis reports: "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration." There's no support offered for how to get a "valid IP configuration".

JoeHudak Jr., Sep 9, 2016
  3. GlenStaes Win User
    ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration

ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration

GlenStaes, Sep 9, 2016
  4. LR1
    lr1 Win User

I've fiddled with this for a few more hours with no luck. I bought a new ethernet adapter card to try out; the results were no different than with my wifi card or motherboard ethernet adapter.

Is there something to do with the motherboard I could check? What could be causing this that is independent of the adapter used?

Please halp!

5. Kbird Win User
    You are being given a Windows Auto IP address 169.X.X.X for some reason as if the Desktop can not "see" the Router to get given an IPV4 DHCP assigned (or reserved) IP Address.

IPV6 looks like it is connected though , a good site to test IPV6 connectivity is IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test

can we assume nobody is playing trick on you and changed setting on your Router ?

It looks like the Wireless Card is disabled ? it says disconnected .... Airplane Mode ? not usually on a Desktop....

If you right click the titlebar on the Command Prompt window and choose defaults , you can set the window size wider , eg 100 x32 deep works and it should use those settings on next use instead.

Kbird, Sep 10, 2016
  6. LR1
    lr1 Win User
    On my laptop, that site says my IPv4 is fine but that IPv6 is not supported, which is strange because I actually ran that test earlier today and I could have sworn it gave me green across the board. Of course, I can't run it on my PC.

Yes, only I have access to the router. Additionally: I factory reset the router/modem and made no changes. When I set it up initially, there were no problems, so I'm hoping the factory defaults are the best way to debug this issue.

If you're referring to the "media disconnected", that's just because I wasn't connected through wifi when I took that snapshot. Figured the ethernet connection would be easier to debug. However, the information in ipconfig /all is the same for both, whichever one is being used. That, along with the fact that I've also tried a brand new ethernet card leads me to believe this is not an adapter hardware issue.

Thanks for that bit of info. First thing that's worked all day.

7. Kbird Win User
    glad I got something right *Smile

and you are sure Your ISP just aint having issues? Or there Router ? are you Bridging with your Own router like me?

KB

Kbird, Sep 10, 2016
  8. LR1
    lr1 Win User

Some additional information:

My router does see my PC even though the PC seems not to see the router (i.e., the router is not accessible through the browser). Accessing the router through my laptop, I can see the connected PC, but there is no device name displayed, as if the router cannot entirely see the PC either. The blacked out rectangle is my laptop device name.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration [​IMG]

9. LR1
    lr1 Win User
    Is it possible it could be on the ISP side even though my laptop is connecting without issue? I've been avoiding actually trying to deal with them as it's Comcast and, well, you know...

10. Kbird Win User
    that 169 IP address is wrong ...it should be the same as the one below it in the 192 range....

169 means Windows is giving it a IP address of it's own....so DHCP may not be working or you have run out of available IP addresses eg the range set is too small eg 5 addresses and now you have 6 devices.

more info.

If your computer is set to Obtain an IP Address Automatically and it cannot locate a DHCP server, then it will likely produce an IP address similar to this 169.254.x.x IP Address The DHCP server in most home networks will be the router or modem. Some modems are a combination router and modem, so you may only have one device. In either case, the router controls DHCP. Your Windows computer has to get some type of IP address for a DHCP server. When the process fails, it gives up and uses Automatic Private IP Addressing

Any chance you got a virus? and it is messing with things ?

Kbird, Sep 10, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    169 means Windows is giving it a IP address of it's own....so DHCP may not be working or you have run out of available IP addresses eg the range set is too small eg 5 addresses and now you have 6 devices.

It could also be that you have an IP # conflict , in which case Windows will just assign an Auto IP address so the network doesn't have errors.

Have you turn off all PC's , turned of your router ,turned off Comcast's Router , waited a While and the restarted Comcast's wait 10 mins, restart your router. wait 5 mins, then started PC's in the desired order of usage ......

more info here:

How to fix Windows is having a 169 forced assigned IP address issue?

Kbird, Sep 10, 2016
  12. LR1
    lr1 Win User
    I've run a couple quick scans throughout the day with no malware found, but I've just started a full scan. Will take a while. At this point I hope it does find something because at least then this whole thing would make sense.

I've reset everything multiple times, and also left everything turned off and disconnected for 3 hours (there were a couple posts with similar problems where this actually worked somehow).

About the incorrect IP address, I tried setting the IP address under my wifi adapter to 192.168.0.100. When I do this I get

IPv4 Connection: No internet access
    IPv6 Connection: No internet access

The windows diagnosis can't find any issues and I still am apparently not connected to the network since I can't access it through the browser.

I'm pretty much just shooting in the dark since I don't know much about networking/IT, but I've tried quite a few other things, and have seen a wide variety of errors from the windows troubleshooter.

Thanks for replying. I might be out for the rest of the night but if I don't reply quickly, I'll reply first thing in the morning (I'm feeling the internet withdrawals setting in).

Will have the results of a full virus scan later.

13. Kbird Win User

You need to reserve the IP address on the Router too ....... if what you set under the Wifi Adaptor isn't in the range given out by the router it won't get an address.... and hence no connection...

Have a good night....tomorrow then....

Kbird, Sep 10, 2016
  14. LR1
    lr1 Win User
    Full scan completed with no detections. Added a reserved IP address on the router... no change.

15. LR1
    lr1 Win User
    Update:

On my PC (with no internet) I set the wireless adapter as such:

Unchecked IPv6. If my understanding is correct, we should be able to reduce the problem to purely an IPv4 settings issue.

Set the IPv4 IP address to 192.168.0.100 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.0.1. 192.168.0.100 has been added to the router's reserved list with the PCs MAC address obtained from ipconfig /all.

The DNS servers are set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I can successfully ping 8.8.8.8, not sure if that's relevant.

With these settings I can do an ipconfig /release then /renew, a /flushdns, /register dns, all without any errors (at least in the command prompt, I wouldn't know how to find them in the even viewer). However I still have no internet connection on the PC, and the troubleshooter is not able to find the problem.

My laptop shows some DNS prefix stuff in the ipconfig /all. Would I have to include that in my manual setup of the DNS settings on my PC even though I'm just using 8.8.8.8?

Thema:

1. Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration - Similar Threads - Ethernet doesn't valid

2. ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration: upon opening my computer my ethernet wouldn't connect. diagnosing the problem through settings gave me the error : "ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" i've already tried : - restarting computer- resetting network settings- resetting the network adapter -...
  3. ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration: upon opening my computer my ethernet wouldn't connect. diagnosing the problem through settings gave me the error : "ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" i've already tried : - restarting computer- resetting network settings- resetting the network adapter -...
  4. "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration”: I just upgraded to BT Hub 5. I haven’t been able to get my desktop Dell Precision Tower 7810 my work horse to connect to the internet due to captioned error.I’ve tried everything from disabling fast start, to reinstalling windows from a recovery date, to command prompt -...
  5. "Ethernet" Doesn't have a valid ip configuration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Ethernet" Doesn't have a valid ip configuration: So I was just playing a game peacefully, then suddenly the wifi went out, I tried restarting the router. I'm in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration/6cf1f4f5-a75e-4112-a491-9df590c3e486
  6. Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration: The issue is that my computer will still be connected to the internet however since the network is unknown I cannot use it. This happens almost every time I turn on my computer from after a shutdown or after a couple of hours in sleep mode. I run the network troubleshooter...
  7. Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration: My ethernet stopped working a week ago, my brother came home from overseas and he has a desktop PC set up so i don't know if that affects anything but I've tried everything the past week and nothing was fixed. The ethernet connection says "unidentified network" and running...
  8. Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration: I have Ethernet over power to a pc, and a laptop in another room, the laptop received the message the "Ethernet doesn't have a valid i p configuration". I tried all of Googles fix it tips but nothing has worked, I decided to plug a spare Ethernet cable into the router and...
  9. Ethernet doesn't have valid IP configuration

Ethernet doesn't have valid IP configuration: Hey, My gf's computer in her office (a school) was slow and riddled with viruses, so I had the bright idea to use the media creation tool to upgrade the machine to from win7 to win10 (x86) - clean install. Now, the ethernet that it was connected to before gives the error...
  10. "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid ip configuration

"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid ip configuration: So i decided to move on wired network connection for some reason and i can't make it work. To sum it up, i have a router that has 2 ports which offer 10mbps apparently and other 2 with 100mbps. I tried all 4 with a laptop and they work as expected ( same cable used ). Now,...