Windows 10: Ethernet not working - need to re-enable

Discus and support Ethernet not working - need to re-enable in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey, Earlier this week there was an update for windows 10, I'm not sure what the update was but it took about an hour to install so was fairly big... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Benzino, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Benzino Win User

Ethernet not working - need to re-enable

Hey,

Earlier this week there was an update for windows 10, I'm not sure what the update was but it took about an hour to install so was fairly big (although I see no real changes). Anyway, since then the ethernet adapter no longer works when the computer starts up. It just says unidentified network and that no cable is connected (the cable definitely is, and I've tried different cables and same result).

Anyway, the solution is to disable the adapter and enable it again, and then it works as expected. The problem is, it will randomly stop working sometime when you start the computer up again, and so you have to go through the process again. I've tried updating the driver, but there are no new updates. Reinstalling the driver is only a temporary fix, as the problem will arise again the next time I restart the device. Is there any permanent solution for this?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this post, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Some system info:
    Edition: Windows 10 Home
    Version: 1511
    OS Build: 10586.164
    Network Adaptor: DM9621A USB to Fast Ethernet Adapter(KMDF)

:)

Benzino, Apr 9, 2016

2. Unable to Update to Creators update

Try this (it worked for me on three computers with the same problem). Disable your wifi and connect an ethernet cable to your pc. Then try the update again. After the update completes, just disconnect the ethernet and re-enable your wifi. You should
    be good to go.

NelsonAbbott, Apr 9, 2016
  3. Change priority on network adapters without disabling any network adapter

I am using Windows 10.

Sometimes, I would like to use Ethernet for accessing resources on local area network and WiFi for internet. My WiFi network is actually my phone's tethered WiFi (I use my phone's internet). And, I always connect to the WiFi network later than Ethernet.

I had set static interface metric for both my ethernet adapter and WiFi adapter. The WiFi adapter's interface metric is set to lower than the ethernet adapter's interface metric. But, this doesn't work until I disable and re-enable the ethernet adapter.
    Before I disable the ethernet adapter, Windows and all other installed software will still use the ethernet adapter for internet. I have to disable and re-enable the ethernet adapter to make all software use my WiFi network for internet.

After reboot my computer, I always connect to ethernet first, then connect to WiFi later, and I would like to keep this way.

So, since I had set static metric for both my ethernet adapter and WiFi adapter, how can I make Windows and all other software use WiFi for accessing internet by default,
    without disable and re-enable my ethernet adapter?

CSH1471199, Apr 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, bit of a random stab:
    What happens if you turn Fast Startup off?
    and I saw someone suggest this:
    Go into properties>power management> and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device when power is low.

You should be able to see what the update was from here:

Ethernet not working - need to re-enable [​IMG]

dalchina, Apr 10, 2016
  5. Benzino Win User
    Turning off Fast Startup did the trick, thank you very much! Just before I saw your post I had noticed the issue only occurred when launching cold, if I fixed the issue and restarted the problem would not occur.

I tried the power management option but there was no such tab in the properties window for the adapter. Thanks about the update too, I wasn't aware of that. It just says the update was Windows 10 Version 1511, must have been a big one cause it took some time. I'll wait for the next update and see if the issue occurs again When Fast Startup is on.

Once again, thanks very a lot, your help is much appreciated!

Benzino, Apr 10, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Sometimes we're lucky- other times pure skill. Just had a feeling I'd seen that one before *Biggrin

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ethernet not working - need to re-enable - Similar Threads - Ethernet working need

2. Re-enable a device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-enable a device: I disabled my laptop because I thought it would get rid if the microsoft authenticator but it didn't. I want to re-enable my laptop so I can do some homework https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-enable-a-device/4d66c633-d016-4e54-bdb3-73425b7eb240
  3. Ethernet not working if i enable hotspot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet not working if i enable hotspot: My issue is, I am working in an office where we are connected to a LAN network. The internet is provided by Ethernet connection, so we just used to start our hotspot and use wifi on our mobile phones. I am getting issue from last 2 weeks. When we start the hotspot, the...
  4. Ethernet not working if i enable hotspot

Ethernet not working if i enable hotspot: My issue is, I am working in an office where we are connected to a LAN network. The internet is provided by Ethernet connection, so we just used to start our hotspot and use wifi on our mobile phones. I am getting issue from last 2 weeks. When we start the hotspot, the...
  5. Ethernet not working if i enable hotspot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Re-Enable F11

Re-Enable F11: Lynn-MSFT is misinformed about the ability to either enable or disable the F11 fullscreen key. Mine is somehow disabled and I want it to work again. I DO NOT have an Fn key, so any remedy suggesting its use is ignorant, at best. Running a system file scan would not fix or...
  7. Re-Enable F11

in Windows 10 Customization
    Re-Enable F11: Lynn-MSFT is misinformed about the ability to either enable or disable the F11 fullscreen key. Mine is somehow disabled and I want it to work again. I DO NOT have an Fn key, so any remedy suggesting its use is ignorant, at best. Running a system file scan would not fix or...
  8. Re-enable touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Re-enable touchpad: This morning, I disabled my touchpad to see if Windows 10 wouId automatically enable my touchscreen. It didn't, so now I can't use my laptop. Before I get a mouse to plug in, is there a way to re-enable my touchpad without a mouse? Thanks....
  9. No Ethernet connection at startup, having to disable and re-enable the Realtek Ethernet...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Ethernet connection at startup, having to disable and re-enable the Realtek Ethernet...: Hello, Since i installed Windows 10 build 10.0.18363.535 64-bit on my new PC, after every startup i have to disable and re-enable the Ethernet controller multiple sometimes once, sometimes five times before being able to connect to the network, rendering me unable to...
  10. RE: Ethernet shows connection but will not appear 'work'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RE: Ethernet shows connection but will not appear 'work': Hello Recently the adapters I was using for many years stopped working. They worked fine for years, then they started to work on and off (i.e sometime the connection worked and sometimes not. Not they do not work at all ever although if one looks at the control...