Windows 10: Ethernet plugged in, not working, troubleshooter detected no hardware

Discus and support Ethernet plugged in, not working, troubleshooter detected no hardware in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am having trouble getting my internet connection to work with an ethernet cord. I have no problem using wifi, but i get disconnected on wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by batsko, Oct 21, 2015.

1. batsko Win User

Ethernet plugged in, not working, troubleshooter detected no hardware

Hello, I am having trouble getting my internet connection to work with an ethernet cord. I have no problem using wifi, but i get disconnected on wifi pretty frequently. I have two ethernet cords in my possession, one of them is new, and neither works. I've tried connecting to the router and the modem.
    I've used used troubleshooter with both wires while plugged into the router and the modem. I've created a connection that has our given username and our password in it.
    I turn off the wifi specifically by clicking on the wifi icon on the bottom right of my computer screen. It seems that the ethernet cord is not detected.

Does anyone have any possible next steps for when troubleshooters don't work?

:)

batsko, Oct 21, 2015

2. ethernet plugged in but not working

i tried Method 1 but it seems it did not detect that an ethernet cable was plugged in.

I troubleshooted many times and occasionally it stated no hardware was detected.

Side note, when i have my wifi on and i go to network and sharing it shows ethernet exists, but its under unidentified network and when i check properties, it shows that ipv4 has internet while ipv6 has no internet but, i can't connect via ethernet regardless.

hav0ksreign, Oct 21, 2015
  3. J.H.Lau Win User
    Windows 10 version 1607 (Anniversary Update) causes Realtek Ethernet to cease working

I have the same problem too. My Ethernet connection stopped working upon update to version 1607. Using identical Realtek controller.

Upon restart of computer, Ethernet will work properly, but will stop working after around 5 minutes. Then on, the cable is no longer detected at all, and troubleshooting will not be able to locate an Ethernet cable plugged in. Unplugging and re-plugging
    will have no effect at all, as the system is unable to detect any change. Cable is confirmed as working properly by testing on other computers. Results are also reproducible by restarting the computer multiple times.

Anti-virus software is disabled.

This problem has never happened prior to this update. This update has actually solved my previously occurring sound output problem, and i will not be attempting to roll back the update.

J.H.Lau, Oct 21, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

What does Device Manager look like? Any yellow marks?

Ztruker, Oct 22, 2015
  5. batsko Win User
    nope, no yellow marks. I do think that it's odd that i only see the wireless adapter.
    it looks like:

Network adapters
    Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230
    TAP-Windows Adapter V9

the second was installed with private internet access

batsko, Oct 23, 2015
  6. Well the problem is, that your ethernet adapter is not detected.
    That is either because it is damaged or disabled in BIOS, check it.

I use this to stabilize my wifi connection every time:

1, set up DNS servers manually, either use yours or something like OpenDNS or GoogleDNS.

Windows 10 Configuration Instructions : OpenDNS

2, Disable IPv6, it mostly only causes problems and slowdowns.

Simply uncheck IPv6 protocol in adapter's settings (screenshot bellow).

3, Delete all network adapters but IPv4 (screenshot bellow).

4, Setup IP, subnet and gateway manually, it might be a little inconvenient, but it is rock solid.
    You might need to disable DHCP on your router and then assign one IP to your computer.

TairikuOkami, Oct 23, 2015
  7. robgr Win User
    I'd also remove any TAP adapters as I've known these to cause problems (why they appear is aonther story!)

robgr, Oct 23, 2015
  8. batsko Win User

ok, thanks everyone for the sugggestions. Turns out at some point I must've deactivated LAN a long time ago because it was deactivated in bios and I doubt it would come like that from the store. Again, ty for you suggestions, my wifi properties are cleaned up a lot now.

batsko, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ethernet plugged in, not working, troubleshooter detected no hardware - Similar Threads - Ethernet plugged working

2. Windows not detecting Ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not detecting Ethernet: Has anyone had an issue with windows not detecting an Ethernet connection. For context, I just got a new pc case, and when swapping cases it must have messed up my partitions on my NVME. No problem, not my first time reinstalling windows. However, this time I had to...
  3. ethernet not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ethernet not detected: i can find bluetooth and wifi under control panel but i doesnt find my ethernet port what to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-not-detected/f8a400e7-20e3-4f3e-a278-876e7853d81f
  4. ethernet not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ethernet not detected: i can find bluetooth and wifi under control panel but i doesnt find my ethernet port what to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-not-detected/f8a400e7-20e3-4f3e-a278-876e7853d81f
  5. Ethernet not detected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet not detected: Ethernet is not detected after installing drivers for a 1660 super, I’ve tried every trick in the book. Any ideas? submitted by /u/Freetoez [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/w5eq8e/ethernet_not_detected/
  6. Ethernet not being detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet not being detected: Since upgrading my operating system from windows 10 to windows 11, my ethernet cable is not being detected by windows unless I restart the driver every time I boot the computer. I have tried running the trouble-shooter, uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, performing a...
  7. Hardware Troubleshoot not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware Troubleshoot not working: my cd dvd rom drive stopped working after an update and now the troubleshooting fix that is listed on all "fix it " posts is not even an available option for me cuz it does not populate...
  8. hardware troubleshooting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hardware troubleshooting: I had a crash code pop up that had : Video TDR Failure in it. It did not leave a critical event, even though it caused it to totally reboot. the bugcheck it left was : 0x00000116 0xffffc585357c8010, 0xfffff8018f2501ec, 0xffffffffc000009a, 0x0000000000000004. It says...
  9. Wifi and ethernet not detected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi and ethernet not detected: Hello. I had problems with my pc recently so I decided to reset it. But during the reset the screen came to there was a problem blablabla. So I had to totally format my drives and reinstall windows. But now I dont’t see the wifi option, it’s just the ethernet logo with an x...
  10. Hardware & Devices Troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hardware & Devices Troubleshooter: On both my desktop pc and laptop when accessing Troubleshooter History the title Hardware and Devices troubleshooter are in blue hyperlink and 'Could not be run on 03/07/2020 Critical troubleshooter' appear in red. When I click on the link I get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. plugging working ethernet into router but its not being detected