Windows 10: Eudora okay in W8.1, hyperlinks trigger popup in W10

Discus and support Eudora okay in W8.1, hyperlinks trigger popup in W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, hope I can get help. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Eudora 7 worked fine in 8. However, the problem I'm having is when I click on a hyperlink... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by inPicton, Aug 7, 2015.

1. inPicton Win User

Eudora okay in W8.1, hyperlinks trigger popup in W10

Hi there, hope I can get help.
    I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Eudora 7 worked fine in 8. However, the problem I'm having is when I click on a hyperlink within a post, a pop-up window appears telling me, "you'll need a new app to open this program." Opening the link within the popup, takes me to the Store where a message says, "Your search for "about" had no results.

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards, Paul.

:)

inPicton, Aug 7, 2015
  2. BeebleOZ Win User

The hyperlinks in Eudora 7 emails no longer work.

After installing Windows 10 the hyperlinks in Eudora 7 emails no longer worked. I have reinstalled Eudora and made it the default Email program.

My default browser is Chrome.

I receive " server execution failed", error message

Also it won't let me open the email in the Browser. As a stop gap I'm copying links and pasting them in the Chrome Browser.

BeebleOZ, Aug 7, 2015
  3. The hyperlinks in Eudora 7 emails no longer work.

That link was not too helpful, sorry.

But what I found was this entry in eudora.ini

"URLHelper=D:\Internet Apps\Netscape\Netscape 6\netscp6.exe"

I deleted that line, saved Eudora.ini and restarted Eudora. The hyperlinks now work! Hooray!!

JohnAshp47, Aug 7, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

might as well download Thunderbird as Eudora is a very old program, but could try right clicking the Eudora shortcut, going to the Compatibility tab, checking "Run this program in compatibility mode for", and selecting "Windows 7" or "Windows XP SP3" (Try "Windows XP SP3" if "Windows 7" doesn't work).

5. YOU
    You Win User
    There's something else can try, but I'll verify it before posting it here.

6. inPicton Win User
    Thanks for the Compatibility suggestion. I get the same result. A W-10 window comes up saying I need an app, but there isn't an app. Clicking on any link within any posts brings up that W-10 window. Copying and pasting the link into Chrome gets me to the proper place.

I'm sticking with Eudora. It does everything I want a email client to do, have been using it for 20 years.

You mentioned you had another idea?

Regards, Paul.

inPicton, Aug 8, 2015
  7. omegatx Win User
    I have the same problem. I just upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7. I have used Eudora 7.1.0.9. for years because of it's flexibility for my uses. I want to keep the app.

Here are some issues I have found:
    Problems clicking links in emails - appears Win 10 is preventing links from working with none Microsoft browsers. Edge and IE work. Chrome and Firefox do not (when chosen as default browser). I have to copy the link and paste it into Chrome.

Email attachment links will not open as they did in Win 7. I can get around this one if I right click open with and have the needed app in the list, but it's a hassle.

mailto: links work in Eudora.

Also all of the hyperlinks work in other apps like Office. In other words non Eudora apps are using the OS default for the operation.

I would sure like to know if others are having these issues and if there are any fixes.

BTW, have done the compatibility change, running now in XP with SP3.

omegatx, Oct 11, 2015
  8. Eudora okay in W8.1, hyperlinks trigger popup in W10

Eudora okay in W8.1, hyperlinks trigger popup in W10 [​IMG]

Try that

Torquemada, Oct 11, 2015
  9. inPicton Win User
    inPicton, Oct 11, 2015
  10. omegatx Win User
    Thanks for the protocol tip, but I already had Chrome as default in those protocol windows.

I will join the Eudora-Win Discussion List list.

I am slowly whittling away at the two remaining issues:
    1. Win 10 only allowing Eudora hyperlink clicks to MS browsers when default, but not other 3rd party browsers like Chrome.
    2. Eudora attachments will only open if right clicked with "open with" dialog if Eudora is listed.

omegatx, Oct 11, 2015
  11. I popped Eudora 7 on for a try and hyperlinks worked for me. Eudora was ok in it's day but it's looking a bit aged now and security wise it'll be flakey to say the least. Thunderbird would be a good alternative. You could install Thunderbird, import
    Eudora http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_...Thunderbird%29 and run them in parallel to see if you like it.

Torquemada, Oct 11, 2015
  12. omegatx Win User
    Thanks for the tip. Now the attachments open without a prompt! Go figure? Still a prob with hyperlinks, though. I may try Thunderbird, but I have so many custom macros I use with Eudora, I will try as I can to make it work. I may be forced to switch to TB. Thanks for responding... Paul...

omegatx, Oct 12, 2015
  13. inPicton Win User

Strongly suggest you go to that forum and get Eudora working properly. Eudora, even after all these years, is still the best mail app out there. I've been using since about 1995.

Regards, Paul.
    ++++++++

inPicton, Oct 14, 2015
  14. omegatx Win User
    I solved my probs with links (3rd party browsers like chrome):
    1. Win 10 gives you several other ways to make 3rd party browsers your default. By file, by protocol, by app. Make sure you enable them all for the file names and the http and https protocol.
    2. I un-checked the "use Microsoft viewer" box under settings/viewing mail. Then the links worked. However, the email body in Eudora was text based only. When I re-enabled "use Microsoft viewer" box, the links continued working and the email bodies were html based. So un-checking the box and checking it again solved the problem. I suspect this links issue was related to the fact Eudora was already installed when I did the Win 10 upgrade. I did not feel confident to un-install and re-install Eudora after the upgrade.

The second problem was opening attachments and that one was solved by updating various file associations after Win 10 upgrade.

I did get good tips here as well as the list Paul recommended. I have joined that list and a google list and will uses them as needed.

Thanks for all the help. Now I will have more years to enjoy Eudora... Paul...
    ---

omegatx, Oct 14, 2015
  15. inPicton Win User
    Glad you are once more a happy Eudora camper!

Regards, Paul.

inPicton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Eudora okay in W8.1, hyperlinks trigger popup in W10 - Similar Threads - Eudora okay hyperlinks

2. Eudora

in Browsers and Email
    Eudora: Here's a question that has to do with the times. A friend wants to know if they can install Eudora 6.1.2 over Eudora 7.1 without losing any email. It seems to be the only way (maybe) of getting rid of the massive headers when forwarding email. They've tried everything they...
  3. Eudora

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Eudora: I am trying to install Eudora on my laptop Windows 10 so I can transfer my email from my Windows 7 desktop but I am having difficulty with setting up. When I try to connect, the connection times out. I really love Eudora and want to remain with that email program....
  4. Mail hyperlinks all indicating popup blocker

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mail hyperlinks all indicating popup blocker: I downloaded the Microsoft update last night. Now when using Chrome and AOL mail, I can no longer open any hyperlinks. Getting the following message: "Could not open window. If you have a popup blocker installed, please make sure it is disabled." I have not installed...
  5. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  6. How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?: I had been using w8 for 4 years and now I have switched to w10. I want to copy my jumplists of all software from w8 to w10. how can I do this? I have read that Jump list files are located in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations and in...
  7. Clean install w10 from w8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  8. Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the CD, restart my computer so Windows starts normally, then reinsert the CD to restart the upgrade. Clicking Custom and then...
  9. Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?: I'm currently out of the loop with a working W10 install and so wonder if this feature is included in W10. Its something I've only just started using in 8.1 and find it a terrific archive feature, even though I do daily image backups. Does 10 have this ? 6684
  10. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...