Windows 10: EULA; UEFI; Product Keys and reverting....

Discus and support EULA; UEFI; Product Keys and reverting.... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't think that the concerns are with regards to Backups or System Images - even non-technical users are often comfortable with creating these. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tabvla, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Voyager 1 Win User

EULA; UEFI; Product Keys and reverting....

I'm interested in this issue as well as I Clone often (and full-HDD Image less frequently).

I'm interested in upgrading with the free Win 10 version down the road as I see how the general release progresses and how one can (or can't?) roll back to Win 7 (or 8.1) using independent HDD's.

For example, I have a Win 7 Home Premium (genuine) OEM version Desktop PC with 2 SATA Hot-Swap Trays installed in the tower.

I'd like to upgrade to 10 with, say, HDD #1 (after Cloning Win 7 prior to the upgrade to HDD #2), and run on HDD #1 to get familiar with 10 while having the option to shut down the PC (no dual-booting, my MoBo will never see Win 7 & 10 HDD's simultaneously), removing the Win 10 HDD, installing the Win 7 HDD and booting to Win 7 (and vice versa).

From what I'm reading here so far, it should work. The question I have is regarding the Win 10 "embedding the Prod Key" into firmware (CMOS chip, etc).

Since I'm running a non-UEFI BIOS MoBo, I'm thinking that this issue doesn't apply to my MoBo and I should be able to run on Win 7 and 10 separately on my Desktop PC.

Also, since (this is my understanding, perhaps in error?) Win 7 stores the Prod Key in its Registry (vs firmware), I should be ok with what I'm wanting to do with my PC.

Has anyone here installed a Win 10 build onto one HDD while keeping their previous Win OS on another HDD and done what I'm interesting in doing?

I know I can use the Image-restore path to revert to Win 7 but I'm interested in the Cloning path using 2 separate HDD's to revert/swap out between 7 and 10.

I've been reading the Retail license W10 upgrade permanent? thread and admit I'm a little confused about my independent HDD question.

Voyager 1, Jul 11, 2015

2. Yes, Windows 7 does not store the product code in the BIOS. There is OEM activation info in the SLIC table but no product code is stored there. And only motherboards with a custom factory flashed OEM BIOS will have a SLIC table. The product code stored in the registry is useless without the custom matching branded OEM install media. Just so you know. If you reinstall with a regular DVD you will have to use the code on the COA sticker.

alphanumeric, Jul 11, 2015
  3. Voyager 1 Win User
    ↑ Thanks for the info *Smile.

I have my Prod Key and COA info available so a clean install w/DVD should be ok.

Would the Cloning idea work for me? (running Win 7 on one HDD and 10 on another independently with the PC never seeing both HDD's simultaneously)

Voyager 1, Jul 11, 2015
  4. EULA; UEFI; Product Keys and reverting....

a clean install with the code on the COA sticker is doable. You may have to do the phone activation. I've had to in the past doing it that way. No big deal though, just takes a little time. it's all automated with voice recognition etc.

Dual booting should work. I dual booted 8.1 and 10 on separate hard drives. Windows 10 will install in legacy mode on non UEFI motherboards no problem.

alphanumeric, Jul 11, 2015
  5. Voyager 1 Win User
    EULA; UEFI; Product Keys and reverting.... [​IMG]

If that will work on my PC, it's one of my significant "should I upgrade to 10" questions answered.

I'll watch the forum and see how the 10 rollout goes.

Voyager 1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

EULA; UEFI; Product Keys and reverting....

1. EULA; UEFI; Product Keys and reverting.... - Similar Threads - EULA UEFI Product

2. How to revert back to original windows product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to revert back to original windows product key: I had my PC preinstalled with Windows 10 Home single language . but I tried a non genuine key from an YouTube video in an attempt to upgrade my windows to win 10 Pro. somehow the product name changed to Windows 10 pro & activation is showing as not activated. Please help me...
  3. How to revert back to original windows product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to revert back to original windows product key: I had my PC preinstalled with Windows 10 Home single language . but I tried a non genuine key from an YouTube video in an attempt to upgrade my windows to win 10 Pro. somehow the product name changed to Windows 10 pro & activation is showing as not activated. Please help me...
  4. How to revert back to original windows product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip: I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate login/email. Basically there was nothing I could do with the computer. I tried installing a new windows OS and even changed out the...
  6. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip: I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate login/email. Basically there was nothing I could do with the computer. I tried installing a new windows OS and even changed out the...
  7. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

8. EULA

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EULA: I recently updated the Trusteer software recommended as a banking security. Immediately after the update my pc literally stopped working. I couldn't shut down the browser I was in, clicked on task manager nothing, tried to restore email window which was minimized, no go....
  9. eula

eula: question regarding eula. and product key. I have software requiring the use of a virtual machine (specifically VMware player ) can I use my exsisting OS win 10pro64 and its product key in a virtual machine as well as my physical pc at the same time or does this violate...
  10. Windows 8 sticker but no product key in UEFI on refurbished laptop

Windows 8 sticker but no product key in UEFI on refurbished laptop: I'm posting this on TenForums so others will learn from my experience upgrading to Windows 10. But I would really like to know if anyone else has seen a computer with the square Windows 8 sticker, but no product key either on a label or in firmware/bios? <- that's just bolded...