Windows 10: Event 7043: The Delivery Optimization service did not shut down

Discus and support Event 7043: The Delivery Optimization service did not shut down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; To be more complete: "The Delivery Optimization service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control." After seeing a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Qwinn, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Qwinn Win User

Event 7043: The Delivery Optimization service did not shut down

To be more complete:

"The Delivery Optimization service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control."

After seeing a few metadata staging failures, I implemented the fix in the second post at this link:

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-cras...-failed-3.html

I haven't seen those errors since. However, I now see the delivery optimization service error at EVERY shutdown.

More annoyingly, the Delivery Optimization service is supposed to be the one that downloads windows updates from other PC's. I went into Settings -> Update & Security -> Advanced Options -> Choose How Updates are Delivered and turned that option off. Annoyingly, the service still starts and I still get the error.

Anyone familiar with why I could be getting this error? No one else has seemed to get this error after applying the fix mentioned above. Googling for this error turns up approximately nothing.

Also, given that I've turned the "update windows from other PC's" option off, is there any reason not to disable the associated service altogether? If I do so, will it affect normal Windows updates?

:)

Qwinn, Dec 23, 2015

2. Windows Update

Just tried another update and it failed. I have no idea what that update was because it only was referred to as a "feature update". If I could find out what the ACTUAL update was I could go to the catalog website and download it so that I could test
    the install repeatedly without incurring huge downloads. The only relevant event logged was "The Update Orchestrator Service service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control. Event ID 7043.

RobertGaragan, Dec 23, 2015
  3. PteJack Win User
    After Numerous Failed Update Attempts Windows Anniversary 1607 - BITS SERVICE Stops after a Minute

After setting the BITS Service to Automatic, on ReBoot (shut down to power off and restart), the BITS Service remained set to Automatic, watching the Task manager, it ran for the usual minute and stopped. On refresh of the Services window, the BITS Service
    changed back from Automatic to Manual after it stopped.

There is one difference in the service run under the PID that BITS associates itself to compared between machines.

The machine that has the problem (PID 1520) has a DoSvc process running, the machine that doesn't have this problem the DoSvc is Stopped...

I don't see this Service listed in the Services Window to test if turning off that Service fixes the problem.

??

Thanks

Edit: Also, the DoSvc description on the good machine reads Data Sharing Service, where the Description on the Broken machine reads Delivery Optimization

(WTH???) How can the same service have 2 different descriptions?

Scratch that.... Both read Delivery Optimization as Title. Both are set to C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs (Automatic (Delayed Start)) I shut that service down on the Broken machine, Change the BITS Service back to Automatic and Applied the
    setting and restarted the service.

On Reboot, I found the BITS Service had reset itself to Manual again and remained in Stopped Status. ERRRRR!!!

This time the Delivery Optimization Service remained Stopped as well on ReBoot.

PteJack, Dec 23, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Just a shot in the dark, try opening Disk Cleanup and run as admin and delete the Delivery Optimization Files

Event 7043:  The Delivery Optimization service did not shut down [​IMG]

Maybe there is a corruption.

Cliff S, Dec 23, 2015
  5. Qwinn Win User
    A good thought, it was actually 585mb on my system, but sadly still getting the error.

I also tried disabling Delivery Optimization in Edit Group Policy (Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Delivery Optimization, set Download Mode to Enabled and 0 which means disabled) and that didn't stop the error either.

I note that the startup method for the service is "Automatic (Delayed Start)". I don't mind turning it to disabled, IF it's safe to do so and won't interfere with normal windows updates, but you'd think just turning off the option in settings would disable the service if it wasn't doing something else.

Qwinn, Dec 23, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    I took a look in task scheduler, but either it is hidden or not there, I suspect the prior.
    I just tried using the "Switch" on/off and looking if a service turned on or off, but there are so many, maybe you want to try, the one that changes is probably the one you want then.

Cliff S, Dec 23, 2015
  7. Qwinn Win User
    If you look in Task Manager, Services Tab, you'll see it under the name DoSvc. Where you'll see that it's set to start "Automatic, delayed start" is in services.msc. I'm still nervous about disabling the service though, in case it has some core functionality that Windows Update needs even with the whole "download updates from other PC's" turned off.

Qwinn, Dec 23, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

I think I know what you mean, Fix one thing which breaks two things.
    Have you tried running SFC and DISM? Maybe doing that and cleaning out the Windows side by side files and update store might help.

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\&fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:&Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase&pause

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Event 7043: The Delivery Optimization service did not shut down - Similar Threads - Event 7043 Delivery

2. Is it Safe to Disable the Delivery Optimization Service?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it Safe to Disable the Delivery Optimization Service?: I have a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 laptop; every now and again, I notice this, but today especially, Delivery Optimization seems to be making non-stop connections to my laptop on Port 7680 I know Delivery Optimization is largely related to Windows Updates, but I would...
  3. Is it Safe to Disable the Delivery Optimization Service?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it Safe to Disable the Delivery Optimization Service?: I have a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 laptop; every now and again, I notice this, but today especially, Delivery Optimization seems to be making non-stop connections to my laptop on Port 7680 I know Delivery Optimization is largely related to Windows Updates, but I would...
  4. Is it Safe to Disable the Delivery Optimization Service?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Problems with Service host Delivery optimization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Service host Delivery optimization: Hello all, I hope you are all doing fine, well as the title states, I have started experiencing a new issue with that specific process It's eating bandwidth like crazy and we dont have that fast internet in here to let it just run, I have windows delivery optimization turned...
  6. Problems with Service host Delivery optimization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Service host Delivery optimization: Hello all, I hope you are all doing fine, well as the title states, I have started experiencing a new issue with that specific process It's eating bandwidth like crazy and we dont have that fast internet in here to let it just run, I have windows delivery optimization turned...
  7. Delivery Optimization

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delivery Optimization: After some hours today following multiple troubleshoots to get the Windows Store to speed up, I've encountered another problem that could be the answer to the first problem. This menu called Delivery Optimization that I've read here and there helps Microsoft Store download...
  8. Delivery Optimization Service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delivery Optimization Service: We have four home computers, only two running Windows 10. Is it a good idea to have this service on? Why not turn it off and delete the hundreds of MB of files stored in it?...
  9. Unable to disable Delivery Optimization service

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to disable Delivery Optimization service: After recent Windows update v1809 (Build 17763.79), I am unable to disable Delivery Optimization service. This constantly consumes by internet bandwidth in the background which makes the web surfing very slow. Whenever I try to disable this service it says "Access Denied"....
  10. Disabling “Service Host: Delivery Optimization”

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disabling “Service Host: Delivery Optimization”: I live in a very wooded area and have an extreammly small bandwith. According to my task manager the only process passively taking up bandwith is this delivery optimization. I’ve already tried to stop througg the firewall and by disabling it under services. If anyone knows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the update orchestrator service for windows update service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control.

2. nu vot

3. the delivery optimization service did not shut down properly after receiving a pre-shutdown control.

4. window 10 event error 7043_The AdvancedVPN service did not shut down properly after receiving a pre-shutdown control.,
  5. event id 7043 windows update pre shutdown,
  6. event 7043 The Update Orchestrator Service for Windows Update service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control,
  7. update orchestrator service id 7043,
  8. service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control,
  9. VPN service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown contro,
  10. window 10 ERROR 7043_ AdvancedVPN service did not shut down properly after receiving a pre-shutdown control.,
  11. The AdvancedVPN service did not shut down properly after receiving a pre-shutdown control.,
  12. laptop says shutting down service: delivery optimization,
  13. the delivery optimization service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control.,
  14. the windows biometric service service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control.,
  15. windows event 7043