Windows 10: Every time I restart my computer, the "background apps" setting resets

Discus and support Every time I restart my computer, the "background apps" setting resets in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A quick google search just lands me in tutorials on how to disable background apps in general. All of my other privacy settings are saved except for... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DevinGrimes, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Every time I restart my computer, the "background apps" setting resets

A quick google search just lands me in tutorials on how to disable background apps in general.

All of my other privacy settings are saved except for this one

edit: I also noticed that apps appear and disappear on this page. For example, I have the Verizon Messages app installed and as you can see its not in the picture. It randomly shows up.

Every time I restart my computer, the "background apps" setting resets aea44fed-503d-450a-b6c9-5b5e54f847ee?upload=true.jpg

:)

DevinGrimes, Jul 4, 2018

2. Photos app hogging resources in background

Ian, this suggestion was posted on my other thread:

We understand that not all of users are using the Photos app on Windows 10, if not very often. If you don't want this app to be running on background when not in use, there is a way you can turn this
    off. Kindly follow the steps provided below:

• In Cortana, type Privacy Settings
      and press Enter.
    • Look for Background apps.
    • Look for Photos in the list.
    • Flip the switch to Off.
    • Restart your computer.

After you restart your computer, you can check if the Photos app is still running in background. You can use these steps to turn off any running background applications as it is not limited to Photos
    app alone. In this way, you can conserve a lot of power and process allowance.

I just followed these instructions, and now have to wait to see if it works. I'm hoping it solves your problem, too!

BarryG_961, Jul 4, 2018
  3. Background applications

Hi Robert,

We understand that you don't want some apps to run on the background of your computer. What we suggest is to
    control which apps are allowed to run in the background. To see which apps have permission, just follow the below steps:

• Open the Start menu or Start screen and select “Settings.”
    • Click or tap the “Privacy” icon in the Settings.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select “Background apps.”
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an “On/Off” toggle.
    Just bear in mind that, apps normally run in the background to update their live tiles, download new data, and receive notifications. If you want an app to continue performing these functions, you should allow it to continue running in
    the background.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Jul 4, 2018
  4. Every time I restart my computer, the "background apps" setting resets

computer randomly restarts multiple times

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better, please provide us more information.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• When does the system exactly restart? Please elaborate.

• How did you upgraded to Windows 10 through Windows update or Windows 10 ISO?
    Let’s try simple steps and check if this helps. Follow the below steps.

Method 1.

I suggest you to check the settings, if the automatic restart is set on the system.

• Open file explorer and click on Computer on the top pane.

• Click on System properties and click on
      Advanced system settings.

• Now click on Advanced tab and click on
      Settings
      button on Startup and Recovery option.

• Uncheck on Automatically restart.
    If the issue still persist try the below methods.

Method 2.

I suggest you to boot the system in Clean boot state and check if the issue still persist.
    Clean boot process will help you determine which third party program/app that is causing this issue. It could be some other application or programs, which runs on the computer at the background, leading to this issue. Please visit the below link
    on how to perform Clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jul 4, 2018
Thema:

Every time I restart my computer, the "background apps" setting resets

1. Every time I restart my computer, the "background apps" setting resets - Similar Threads - Every restart computer

2. My time zone keeps getting reset to pacific time every time I restart my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My time zone keeps getting reset to pacific time every time I restart my computer: I have already tried changing the time manually, tried changing the time-zones in the control panel, checked Event Viewer to see if an application was resetting the time zone there wasn't, and saw that windows time is already set to automatic when checking Services. I changed...
  3. My time zone keeps getting reset to pacific time every time I restart my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My time zone keeps getting reset to pacific time every time I restart my computer: I have already tried changing the time manually, tried changing the time-zones in the control panel, checked Event Viewer to see if an application was resetting the time zone there wasn't, and saw that windows time is already set to automatic when checking Services. I changed...
  4. My time zone keeps getting reset to pacific time every time I restart my computer

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. My Computer Resets every time I start it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Computer Resets every time I start it: So every time I start my computer and log in my backgrounds, some of my apps, and everything I downloaded the last time I used it is deleted. Some apps stays like AVG antivirus after I starts it again. All settings I editet is also gone. When I start it always says Preparing...
  6. My Computer Resets every time I start it

My Computer Resets every time I start it: So every time I start my computer and log in my backgrounds, some of my apps, and everything I downloaded the last time I used it is deleted. Some apps stays like AVG antivirus after I starts it again. All settings I editet is also gone. When I start it always says Preparing...
  7. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  8. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  9. Every time I Restart my Computer, the desktop resets itself

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Every time I Restart my Computer, the desktop resets itself: This is a problem that has been occurring to me for about 2 days now. I usually leave my computer on sleep mode so that it is easy to continue my work the following day. Yesterday, my computer hanged while i was doing my work and was not functioning at all. having no other...
  10. Windows update reset settings and resets every time I restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update reset settings and resets every time I restart: Ever since I downloaded the Windows update back in late February my settings were reset to default and every time I shut down and restart my computer the settings revert back to default again so I have to redo all my default programs like chrome rather than edge and adobe...