Windows 10: Every usb drives gets the same icon?

Discus and support Every usb drives gets the same icon? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a strange issue. I have a used headset on my computer and mow I don't use it anymore. Problem is every time I use an usb stick (tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jslegers, Jun 22, 2018.

1. jslegers Win User

Every usb drives gets the same icon?

Hi,

I have a strange issue. I have a used headset on my computer and mow I don't use it anymore. Problem is every time I use an usb stick (tried different ones) I get the icon from the headset. How can I change that back to the default drive icon? I'm using an usb switch so that I can use my keyboard and mouse on 2 computers.

usb stick 1

Every usb drives gets the same icon? [​IMG]

usb stick 2

Anyone else seen this before?

:)

jslegers, Jun 22, 2018

2. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

....no drives listed in Hardware List.

When I plug USB drives in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon does not appear in in system tray (its not hidden either)

First, I went to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Select which Icons Appear on the Taskbar...

.. and found it was already on

Next I tried using the solution in this post...

Solved No safely remove icon in tray any more after Windows 10 Anniversary up - Windows 10 Forums

...making a shortcut from "rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll", but when I run the shortcut, there are no devices listed...

(in this screenshot, you can see two USB drives in the Explorer window in the BG but nothing listed in the panel. )

NOTE: They are listed in Disk Management and in the Device Manager under Disk Drives, and they function just fine..
    I think the Safely Remove Hardware icon is not appearing because despite being detected and showing in Explorer, Device Manager and Disk Management, its not being listed in this panel for some reason.

NOTE2: I recently installed a new motherboard.

ASUS B150M-A
    CPU Intel Core i5 - 6500 (3.2 GHz)
    Mem 4096 MB (DDR4 - 2133)

I am 100% sure it was working before that, but I cannot say for sure if it was still working after that.
    A friend suggested that it might be a setting in BIOS, but I have looked through it and nothing stands out.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

ETA: this is not the system listed in my System Specs page. That is another computer which I still have.

smartcooky, Jun 22, 2018
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jun 22, 2018
  4. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jun 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Every usb drives gets the same icon? - Similar Threads - Every usb drives

2. My C: drive icon turns the same icon as the other drives.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My C: drive icon turns the same icon as the other drives.: My system drive icon turns the same as others drives. I have Windows 8.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-c-drive-icon-turns-the-same-icon-as-the-other/bb6ab763-f076-4185-9f7f-316e209c22ec
  3. My C: drive icon turns the same icon as the other drives.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My C: drive icon turns the same icon as the other drives.: My system drive icon turns the same as others drives. I have Windows 8.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-c-drive-icon-turns-the-same-icon-as-the-other/bb6ab763-f076-4185-9f7f-316e209c22ec
  4. Same File Path to multiple USB drives.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Same File Path to multiple USB drives.: I have a piece of software that writes CNC programs for a machine in our factory. It saves these programs to a single location that can be set up within the software. It is currently set up to save to a network drive. We want to save these programs to USB drives that...
  5. Desktop icons rearrange to the same random places every startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons rearrange to the same random places every startup: Basically no matter what, every time I start my PC up my desktop icons just rearrange to random places on the desktop like a bomb got dropped in the middle of them. What's weirder is that they go to the same spots every time. This is infuriating to no end, does anyone know...
  6. USB - Autorun.ico, and Drive Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    USB - Autorun.ico, and Drive Icons: Hi. My first post. Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS build 18362.592) Big problems with USB icons. Previously I have been able to set USB Drive Icons in the Registry. Now they do not work. Hard Drive and DVDs are fine, but not USBs or SDs. Similarly autorun.inf wuth autorun.ico, do...
  7. Strange USB-Drive Icons

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange USB-Drive Icons: Hello, I really need some help. Since Yesterday all my USB-Drive Icons look like on this Screenshot [img] But only when i connect to the Internet otherwise they look normal [img] I have this problem on all of my PC's. When I am connected to the Internet for every...
  8. Strange USB-Drive Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange USB-Drive Icons: Hello, I really need some help. Since Yesterday all my USB-Drive Icons look like on this Screenshot [img] But only when i connect to the Internet otherwise they look normal [img] I have this problem on all of my PC's. When I am connected to the Internet for every...
  9. USB Drive icon missing

USB Drive icon missing: Hi all, I'm just wondering if someone knows how to restore the icon for a USB drive? Whenever I plug in any USB drive, it's icon shows up as blank icon in Windows explorer: [img] I don't know how this happened, it doesn't affect anything except looking horrible. Someone...
  10. the same icon for all drives?

the same icon for all drives?: Hi, I have a strange issue. I have a used headset on my computer and mow I don't use it anymore. Problem is every time I use an usb stick (tried different ones) I get the icon from the headset. How can I change that back to the default drive icon? I'm using an usb switch so...