Windows 10: Change Folder Picture in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Folder Picture in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Folder Picture in Windows 10 How to Change a Folder Picture in Windows 10 By default, you will see a thumbnail preview of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Folder Picture in Windows 10

How to: Change Folder Picture in Windows 10

How to Change a Folder Picture in Windows 10

By default, you will see a thumbnail preview of the contents of a folder on the folder's icon.

If you like, you can choose any .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, .tif, .tiff, .bmp, .ico, .wmf, .dib, .jfif, .jpe, .fpx, or .mix image file you like to show as a folder picture on the folder's icon instead of the default thumbnail preview.

This tutorial will show you how to choose a file to show as a picture on a folder icon in Windows 10.

*note If you choose a file to show as a folder picture, this folder will no longer show a thumbnail preview of its content until you restore the default folder pictures.

If you change the icon of a folder, this folder will no longer show a folder picture or thumbnail preview.

EXAMPLE: Folder picture

Change Folder Picture in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Right click or press and hold on the folder, and click/tap on Properties.

2. Do step 3 (choose file) or step 4 (restore default) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Choose a File to be Folder Picture
    A) Click/tap on the Customize tab, and click/tap on the Choose File button under Folder pictures. (see screenshot below)

B) Navigate to and select the image file you want to use as the folder picture, and click/tap on Open. (see screenshot below)

*note It is recommended to copy the image into your "C:\Users\<user name>\Pictures" folder, and select the image from this location for the best results.

C) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 3A)

4. To Restore Default Folder Picture
    A) Click/tap on the Customize tab, click/tap on the Restore Default button under Folder pictures, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 15, 2016
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Picture User Folder vs Library Picture Folder / Add to User folder

Hi,

Form the issue description, I realize that you are trying to view your pictures in the default pictures library. To do so, you have to change the location of the folder that contains your pictures to the default pictures library folder.

To view your pictures in the default pictures library, I suggest you to follow the steps below.

• Right-click on the default Picture folder
      and click on Properties.

• Navigate to Location tab.

• Click on Move…. and select the folder that contains your pictures and click on
      Apply and then click on Ok.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further information on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Pictures in Windows 10

Hi Sugar,

Apologize for the late reply.

Are you able to find other files and folders on Windows 10?

I suggest you to have a look for Windows 8.1 pictures in Windows.old folder.

Try the following steps:

• Press Windows + E keys to open Windows explorer
    • Press C:\ Drive
    • under C: drive look for Windows.old folder
    • open users under Windows.old

Try the search for pictures in here.

Regards

Waseemulla S, Oct 26, 2019
  6. mrgeek Win User
    Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Folder Picture in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Folder Picture

2. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  3. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  4. Pictures in Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pictures in Pictures folder: The pictures in my pictures folder are downloaded to my hard drive, but today I looked in the folder and they were gone. It could be a OneDrive thing or the fact that i imported photos with the photos app last night. I would like to get my pictures back....
  5. Pictures in folders in Windows 10

Pictures in folders in Windows 10: In windows 10, I can only see icons, not pictures when I try to view the pictures. How can I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pictures-in-folders-in-windows-10/f0277d94-c855-4817-b15f-ccca8f559c3f"
  6. Pictures folder in Windows 10

Pictures folder in Windows 10: Have a real strange issue using Windows 10 home and viewing my photos through my tv. All site on home network. Essentially although my pictures are stored in the Windows established Pictures folder when I select from the TV by folder it says there is nothing to view on the PC...
  7. Rearranging picture in a picture folder in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rearranging picture in a picture folder in Windows 10.: How do I manually rearrange picture in a pictures folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rearranging-picture-in-a-picture-folder-in-windows/a49576b9-a276-4f7a-ab2a-d4d6da8c49c4
  8. Change or Restore Pictures Folder Icon in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Restore Pictures Folder Icon in Windows: How to: Change or Restore Pictures Folder Icon in Windows How to Change or Restore Pictures Folder Icon in Windows By default, your personal Pictures folder is located in your account's %UserProfile% (ex: "C:\Users\Brink") folder. This tutorial will show you how to...
  9. Windows 10 Pictures " this folder is empty"

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Pictures " this folder is empty": I cannot see or view any of my pictures. I click on a folder and it tells me its empty. When I click on properties, its obvious by the size of the file, that its still there. I Any ideas on how to fix this? 18139
  10. Changing Windows 10 Picture without ProgramData and Microsoft folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Windows 10 Picture without ProgramData and Microsoft folders: I don't have a ProgramData or Microsoft folder and need to change the account profile picture on a rented laptop. Please help ASAP 85019