Windows 10: Ex Hard Drive: Scan for errors. No errors does this mean no corruption

Discus and support Ex Hard Drive: Scan for errors. No errors does this mean no corruption in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've scanned my Seagate M3 external hard drive for errors and no errors were found. Does this mean that all data on the hard drive is free of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Autobahn, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Autobahn Win User

Ex Hard Drive: Scan for errors. No errors does this mean no corruption

I've scanned my Seagate M3 external hard drive for errors and no errors were found.

Does this mean that all data on the hard drive is free of corruption?

It contains mostly a copy of my Flac files and I was wondering if this scan is telling me that none of the music saved has any corruption?

Thanks

:)

Autobahn, Dec 12, 2017
  2. David Haz Win User

Inaccessible boot device windows 10

We appreciate the information you have provided. It is possible that there are file system errors in your hard drive. We recommend that you scan the drives to confirm that there are no errors with the disk drive. To scan the drive, kindly right-click the
    drive, then select Properties. Under Tools, click the
    Check now button.

If the scan verifies that there are no errors within the drive, kindly perform a full system scan using your preferred antivirus program. Viruses can infect all types of hard disks and may result to disk corruption.

If the above steps does not help, do not hesitate to post back to us.

David Haz, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Scan Drive For Errors

Hi,

I am getting notifications of scan drive for errors. My pc also gets hanged and I had to press the shutdown button to get it functioning. When it restarts, it gives the same notification. I scanned the system using updated windows defender. Kindly see if
    anyone can help?

Thanks

Kamran Naeem, Dec 12, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

It only means the scanning tool found no corruption. That's not a 100% guarantee, but it's a pretty darn good indicator. Which scanning tool did you use? If chkdsk, it's pretty reliable and generally accurate. Seagate offers a proprietary but free set of tools called SeaTools that you can download and run a double-check on your disk, if you like. If it also gives the drive a clean bill of health you can be reasonably sure it's not corrupted.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 12, 2017
  5. Autobahn Win User
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm no expert with computers: I right clicked the Seagate hard drive, clicked: properties>tools then clicked on 'check' for 'error checking'.
    I'll try the Seagate tools you mention.
    I was having problems where the Seagate hard drive was connecting and disconnecting constantly and thought it could have caused corruption issues.
    I seem to have solved the disconnecting issue by uninstalling all 'uninversal Serial bus controllers' via 'Device manager' and restarting my laptop.
    I seem to get the disconnecting issue every few weeks.
    Thanks again.

Autobahn, Dec 12, 2017
  6. Gordon7 Win User
    @Autobahn - If the issue show up again, then if you connect the drive via USB 2.0/3.0 - try using another USB port!
    Often these problems are caused by failing connectors on the PC or cable used, and not the drive itself!

Gordon7, Dec 12, 2017
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Gosh! What you've described sounds more likely to be a device driver problem than a device or data corruption problem. Sounds like you've already taken most of the obvious steps to address the problem, too. Only other thing to try is a new USB port. Have you run your Dell hardware diagnostics to see if it can find anything amiss with USB? That might shed some more light, too. You might also try visiting the support page for your laptop and seeing if the official Dell driver scanner available there can find any new drivers you might need. Works like a champ on my XPS27 All-in-One and on my Venue Pro 11 7139 hybrid tablet.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 12, 2017
  8. Autobahn Win User

I might try a shorter cable if the diagnostics I'm running doesn't find any issues.

Autobahn, Dec 13, 2017
  9. Autobahn Win User
    I've never run the diagnostics before.
    I don't like having programs I hardly use (or ever use) installed, so I must have uninstalled 'dell assistant' a long time ago.
    I'm running the diagnostics now.
    I had a popup from 'Winpatrol' that Dell Assistant will automatically start when I start my laptop.
    Does this program have to run: Is it best to leave it start up or should I stop it, or even uninstall it after I've run the diagnostics?

Will the diagnostics update any drivers that need updating?

Autobahn, Dec 13, 2017
  10. Autobahn Win User
    Two drivers needed updating - Two for Intel.
    I clicked to install them, one installed, the other said there was already a later version installed (?!) so I cancelled that one.

Autobahn, Dec 13, 2017
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Did it help your problem? Hopefully, everything is working normally or as expected now. Do let us know if you need any further help or info.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 13, 2017
  12. Autobahn Win User
    Just connected the Seagate and it connected then disconected four or five times within a few seconds.
    It's been fine for the last ten minutes.
    I don't know why it is doing this? I have an identical Seagate external hard drive with the same type of cable and it seems more stable - I have had problems with this one aswell.
    I've connected it today as well and have had no problem.
    I think I might try getting a shorter cable and see if that helps, but why after connecting then disconnecting was it alright for over ten minutes?

Autobahn, Dec 13, 2017
  13. EdTittel Win User

No idea. That's why intermittent problems or failures ARE.THE.WORST EVER! Hope you can get it sorted. This kind of stuff drives me nuts.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 13, 2017
  14. Autobahn Win User
    Just a quick update on the other issue I had with the Seagate external hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting every second or so.
    I decided to buy a new cable. I was looking for a shorter cable but couldn't find one, so bought a 1 metre for £1.75
    It works. I have just connected it and it's stable with no problems whatsoever.
    Even though the cable is double the length of the one the came with the Seagate hard drive, it is doing the job.
    Not sure why the cable which came with the hard drive has a problem though?!

Autobahn, Dec 17, 2017
  15. EdTittel Win User
    It could be the cable itself, or conductors in the USB connectors. I've lost them owing to both kinds of causes, primarily to running them over with the wheels on my desk chair. Glad you figured it out!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Ex Hard Drive: Scan for errors. No errors does this mean no corruption - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Scan

2. What does this error mean

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does this error mean: Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 141Parameter 1: ffff8982a5189010Parameter 2: fffff8043965b870Parameter 3: 0Parameter 4: 560OS version: 10_0_19044Service Pack: 0_0Product: 768_1OS Version: 10.0.19044.2.0.0.768.101Locale ID: 1033...
  3. What does this error mean

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does this error mean: Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 141Parameter 1: ffff8982a5189010Parameter 2: fffff8043965b870Parameter 3: 0Parameter 4: 560OS version: 10_0_19044Service Pack: 0_0Product: 768_1OS Version: 10.0.19044.2.0.0.768.101Locale ID: 1033...
  4. What does this error mean

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Hard disk error on a hard drive that does not exist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard disk error on a hard drive that does not exist: Hi allSo last night I'm playing the game Forged Battalion and my system is normally otherwise solid with no issues at all and out of nowhere the sound goes brrr for a little second which I thought oh **** normally that's the sign of a BSOD. Oddly though my PC recovered from...
  6. Hard Drives corruption and errors

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drives corruption and errors: So I had my computer unused for about a year it having two harddrives one HDD one SSD the ladder having the operating system. After starting it up again two days ago everything worked like it used to I had restarted it many times that day so it wasn't a hardware issue. But...
  7. What does this error mean

What does this error mean: I looked up on the windows start menu, to view system resource management, But an error popped up saying I couldn't open the system resource management. How do I fix this? and what does system 32 mean because I thought I had windows 10 64 bit. [ATTACH]...
  8. what does this error mean

what does this error mean: Faulting application name: svchost.exe, version: 10.0.18362.1, time stamp: 0x32d6c210 Faulting module name: NotificationController.dll, version: 10.0.18362.628, time stamp: 0x952029a8 Exception code: 0xc0000409 Fault offset: 0x0000000000069b62 Faulting process id: 0x2bb8...
  9. What does the error mean?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What does the error mean?: 2018-05 Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4134661) - Error 0x80071a91 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-the-error-mean/a650b711-2abd-4b30-a9a1-fec4492db3cf
  10. What does this error mean?

in Windows 10 Support
    What does this error mean?: The following error has appeared upon starting up my new PC. Does anyone know what it means? [img] 96336