Windows 10: Excel 2010 Opening Files in Single Instance after a Recent Update

Discus and support Excel 2010 Opening Files in Single Instance after a Recent Update in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; After a recent update to Excel 2010 (that came after upgrading Windows 10 Creators Edition) when clicking on more than one Excel file they all open in... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by PJLLB, May 5, 2017.

1. PJLLB Win User

Excel 2010 Opening Files in Single Instance after a Recent Update

After a recent update to Excel 2010 (that came after upgrading Windows 10 Creators Edition) when clicking on more than one Excel file they all open in the same window (instance) of Excel. Before this update the files would open in separate instances. By opening in a single instance of Excel it is then necessary to either arrange the workbooks (tile, etc.) or switch between them. But this is not what I want to do -- I want to be able to open both files in separate Excel windows so that I can easily see them both in large screen windows on separate monitors like I did before this update.

I found a suggestion online to check the Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) advanced option in Excel. But this results in Excel opening itself with no open workbook when clicking on a file.

Word 2010 does not behave in this manner. If I click to open one Word file and then another, each is opened in a separate window (instance) of Word, which is what I want to do with Excel.

Any thoughts?

:)

PJLLB, May 5, 2017
  2. d0gknees Win User

In Task View I cannot switch between two Excel spreadsheets operating simultaneously

Billion - You use Ctrl-tab to switch between multiple files open in one instance of Excel.

Excel opens the files in a single instance of the application, so you only see the one in Taskview. Word opens the files in separate instances of Word so you see several in Taskview.

d0gknees, May 5, 2017
  3. B. Parker Win User
    WP Excel won't open Excel 2010 Spreadsheets

I use Office 2010 (32 bit) on my Win7 Pro computer.

I have been using my Windows Phone 7.5 to open/edit Excel 2010 files stored on Skydrive for some time.

Suddenly, WP will not open the same files which it could open just awhile ago.

I have used Excel 2010 to edit these spreadsheets since the last time I opened them with WPExcel and saved them in the same format as before.

WPExcel states:

"Can't Open. Excel doen't recognize the file format "<filename"".

Yet these files open without issue with Excel 2010.

Any suggestions?

Update - WPExcel will open cloud Excel files that have not been recently opened by Excel 2010. Those files operate properly. However, once I open the same files with Excel 2010 and save them - WPExcel can not open them. Problem with Excel 2010?

B. Parker, May 5, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

This Excel 2010 behaviour seems to be by design with little or no way to change it. *Sad

One workaround is to first open Excel itself rather than by clicking on a file. You can open as many Excel windows as you want that way. Then in each instance of Excel use 'File.. open' to open one of your spreadsheets, or click and drag each of your files and drop each one into a different Excel window.

Bree, May 6, 2017
  5. PJLLB Win User
    Possible, except why did it start behaving this way only after the updates installed since upgrading to the Windows 10 Creators Edition?

Microsoft strikes again.

PJLLB, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Excel 2010 Opening Files in Single Instance after a Recent Update - Similar Threads - Excel 2010 Opening

2. Excel 2010

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel 2010: I want to freeze the top 6 rows and columns 1, 2, and 3, I got it to do more than that but I want just the one I have mentioned. It is critical to the project I am working on, if I can't, I will have to think of something else. Is this even possible????...
  3. Excel 2010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel 2010: I want to freeze the top 6 rows and columns 1, 2, and 3, I got it to do more than that but I want just the one I have mentioned. It is critical to the project I am working on, if I can't, I will have to think of something else. Is this even possible????...
  4. Excel 2010

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Import Excel file into Access 2010

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Import Excel file into Access 2010: When I try to import a 2010 Excel file into 2010 Access database, I get the error that there is no search key to be found in any record. What does that mean?...
  6. Import Excel file into Access 2010

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Import Excel file into Access 2010: When I try to import a 2010 Excel file into 2010 Access database, I get the error that there is no search key to be found in any record. What does that mean?...
  7. Import Excel file into Access 2010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Single Instance of Support

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Single Instance of Support: I am trying to buy a single instance of support but the website says "Tax calculation was unsuccessful, Please try again later." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/single-instance-of-support/9548374c-abf7-4c71-b2b0-b07c85bb7e2a
  9. After Windows Update, EXCEL files will not open!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Windows Update, EXCEL files will not open!: After Windows Update, EXCEL files will not open! I can see the XLS spreadsheets in the file preview window but get this error when attempting to open them: Sorry, we couldn't find C:/.....xls. Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted? I can see it in the preview...
  10. after last update no excel files will open

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after last update no excel files will open: get the following error - [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/after-last-update-no-excel-files-will-open/5bbdb225-def5-4c59-95c9-f92bb5d66e6a