Windows 10: Excel changes the owner of file during save

Discus and support Excel changes the owner of file during save in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; When Excel saves my workbook file, it changes the NTFS ownership of the file to the user account that is using Excel. I need it to allow the data to be... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Skiff640, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Skiff640 Win User

Excel changes the owner of file during save

When Excel saves my workbook file, it changes the NTFS ownership of the file to the user account that is using Excel. I need it to allow the data to be changed within the workbook, but not change the file's ownership. Any ideas?

• Windows 10 Pro ... clean recent install ... all updates are current
    • Office 2010 (Excel) ... clean recent install ... all updates are current
    • The original owner of Excel file is in the Administrator group
    • Excel user is not in the Administrator group
    • Excel user has the following inherited permissions to the file, through a group, inherited down from the folder in which it resides:
    Modify
    Read and execute
    Read
    Write
    • Excel user does not have the following permissions. I checked this in Properties using the "Effective Access" feature:
    Full Control
    Change permissions
    Take ownership

The only unusual thing is the Excel file came from an XP machine. I don't see how that would affect anything but ...

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ... I tried everything I can think of, and have searched this forum and the internet without success.

Thanks

:)

Skiff640, Jul 30, 2016

2. Windows Explorer chooses strange paths when opening or saving a file

As I noted in my original message, I have already done this.

The default file location for saving Word documents is C:\Users\Owner\Documents\.

The default file location for saving Excel documents is C:\Users\Owner\Documents.

The default file location for saving PowerPoint documents is C:\Users\Owner\Documents\.

RossLampert, Jul 30, 2016
  3. billkunze Win User
    Excel files wont open

I have a similar problem with my Treo750 running existing Excel files. The files worked just fine for several months, always allowed me to save changes--no problem. Then suddenly I'd get an error message when I'd try to save changes or close an open document
    that said there was an error and couldn't save my changes. The only way to save was to change the file name slightly in "Save As" then delete the old file.

Now, occasionaly I get the "invalid file type" error message when I try to open any existing Excel files. The only way around it is to take the battery out of my phone and start over.

billkunze, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Skiff640 Win User

I just duplicated the problem with a brand new Excel file that had nothing to do with the old XP machine ...
    • Signed in as the original owner who is in the administrator group
    • Created a new Excel file in the same folder as above
    • Edited the file with Excel as the original owner ... saved
    • Checked ownership and permissions. Everything looks OK, including the inherited permissions from the folder
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as a second user who is not in the Administrator group
    • Edited the the file with Excel as the second user ... saved the file with changes
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as the original owner
    • Checked ownership and permissions. The ownership of the file has changed to the second user.

The original and second users are the exact same users described in the post above. Uggghhh ...

Clueless in Houston ...

Skiff640, Jul 30, 2016
  5. Skiff640 Win User
    I confirmed the problem again this morning, this time launching Excel directly from the Start menus and then opening the file (instead of double-clicking the file itself). Same thing as before ... the ownership of the file changed when Excel saved it.

Something is seriously broken here with security. I wish I knew how to get Microsoft to look at this ...

Skiff640, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Excel changes the owner of file during save - Similar Threads - Excel changes owner

2. I9-13900k and saving Excel files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I9-13900k and saving Excel files: I am having major failures in saving Excel workbooks Large and Small.The files get corrupt sometimes, when I try to re-open the workbook to quickly within 45 seconds or shutdown the computer with in a minute or 2.I am using an I9-13900k processor and 32gb ram and nvme drives...
  3. can a file overwritten during Save-As be recovered?When saving a file during a Save-As ,

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can a file overwritten during Save-As be recovered?When saving a file during a Save-As ,: When saving a text file I accidentally hit Yes when asked if I wanted to overwrite a file with the same name. Is it possible to recover the original file that was overwritten during the Save-As maneuver?...
  4. can a file overwritten during Save-As be recovered?When saving a file during a Save-As ,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can a file overwritten during Save-As be recovered?When saving a file during a Save-As ,: When saving a text file I accidentally hit Yes when asked if I wanted to overwrite a file with the same name. Is it possible to recover the original file that was overwritten during the Save-As maneuver?...
  5. can a file overwritten during Save-As be recovered?When saving a file during a Save-As ,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Excel Macro File Saving Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel Macro File Saving Problem: Hello Friends, Here I am new so, please help me. I received a message/error "There isn't enough memory to complete this action" when I save my MACRO File. I try all things from YOUTUBE but not helpful....
  7. File owner changes

in Windows 10 Support
    File owner changes: I backup my files to a USB on another PC and the owner changes to a long string (S-1-5-21-2070691468-2192114673-407588093-1001) - what's going on??? 175144
  8. save excel files to one drive

save excel files to one drive: I just updated my computer and now my office files will not update automatically, or sync, to the cloud. when I go to onedrive and use excel online everything works fine, and when I go to my offline excel the changes show up just fine. However, when I make changes to the...
  9. how to save a excel file as a database file.

how to save a excel file as a database file.: can not remember when I save a excel sheet as a database file. Is it .dbf or some other ending? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-save-a-excel-file-as-a-database-file/01ea6bb9-b056-4b0f-8dce-64a07f4ba952"
  10. excel files won't save.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    excel files won't save.: I can open an excel file but when I save, it can't access the folder.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/excel-files-wont-save/cc2fe25e-6973-408c-a9f8-bd23118886e3